Content Flyout Thumbnail Sizes

It's very difficult to see content clearly on many of the items in the Content Library. When you hover over the item and get the flyout, on some the thumbnails are large and on others very small. I researched this issue on the forum, and apparently you can manually change  the ".duf.png" thumbnail images from 91x91 to 256x256 to fix this, but when I've checked a few thumbnail files on the "large" vs "small" thumbnails in my library, they are ALL 91x91. Even though the sizes change, for me the image resolution is adequate, so is DS upsizing the thumbnails on some, on display? If so, is there a way to tweak this so it does that with ALL content?

Comments

• The tool tip (flyout) image for file.duf is file.tip.png, the thumbnail file.png. It is something that needs a second image, not something that is done on the fly.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

The tool tip (flyout) image for file.duf is file.tip.png, the thumbnail file.png. It is something that needs a second image, not something that is done on the fly.

Ah, thanks, that explains it. So it looks like there isn't always a file.tip.png which makes me think that in absence of that file, file.duf.png is used for the flyout?

If so I could just make my own file.tip.png's, and make them 256x256.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • Yes, you can make your own.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545

Any instructions on how to do this, particularly how to save your image as a tool tip?

• I use a freeware image viewer program called Irfanview. It has a "batch resize and rename" tool in it. I tell it what folder to find the original files and where to put them when done, then give it instructions on how to resize the files and how to name the new ones. After that it's just a single click. There is definitely a loss of clarity going from 91x91 to 256x256 since you're just making the images bigger using the same info, but in most cases it's still a significant improvement over the originals.
  • AnimAnim Posts: 241

I noticed that you can also make the standard thumb 256x256 instead of making an additional file.tip.png. DS will downscale it to 91x91 for the thumbs and uses the 256x256 for the tips.

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
    edited April 2021

This is MY workflow. 

TL; DR:

save a render as <<whatever the name of the duf is>>.duf.png  (figure1.duf.png)

put the .duf.png in the same folder with the <<whatever the name of the duf is>>.duf (figure1.duf)

===.  

I've literally made hundreds of these for my figures because I can never remember who looks like what.

As an aside: I pre-configure the figures (and environments, props, etc.) quite a bit. This allows me to get a figure set to my version of "zero" so that I can easily throw them in a scene without haveing to do a bunch of work getting them right. It also gives me an opportunity to get a feel for the figures vibe, identify what expressions work for the figure, review any texture or shape options, see how the figure interacts with costumes/clothes, etc. It's also a good time to break out one of the skin managers to really tweak a few things if necessary and pre-select some hair options that work best. 

1. Set up scene/figure however you want...   

2. For just a part of the scene, like a figure:

Save the figure with: File -> Save As -> Scene Subset. Pick a location and name (REMEBER THE NAME...we'll use "figure1" and location (we'll call it savefolder).  (you'll have savefolder\figure1.duf)

Or save the whole scene just remember the exact name (example: figure1). Personally, I try to chunk things up and load them individually but that's just me.

3. The steps are the same as long as you end up with a .duf and you know the name you pick.

4. Render into whatever size you like. I've been doing 640x1280 because all the figures are standing.  

5. Render until you're happy (I don't run it to 100% because it's just a flyout) then save as EXACT name of the saved file from above (figure1) with .duf appended. This will save into your Render Library as figure1.duf.png  

6. Copy the figure1.duf.png to your folder (savefolder). 

7. If you did it right you'll get a notice that says there's already a file there with that name. Just say yes to replace it. (you'll now have savefolder\figure1.duf AND savefolder\figure1.duf.png)

8. Now, when you browse to it in Content Library and hover you'll have your fly over. However, if you don't, right click and select refresh. 

I don't know what the .tip part of the recommendation is for but I've never needed to use it.

Post edited by Aabacus on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545
    edited April 2021

mikethe3dguy said:

I use a freeware image viewer program called Irfanview. It has a "batch resize and rename" tool in it. I tell it what folder to find the original files and where to put them when done, then give it instructions on how to resize the files and how to name the new ones. After that it's just a single click. There is definitely a loss of clarity going from 91x91 to 256x256 since you're just making the images bigger using the same info, but in most cases it's still a significant improvement over the originals.

I actually have that program, however I was hoping for a way to do it in Daz, like with thumbnails, I know how to make those. 

Anim said:

I noticed that you can also make the standard thumb 256x256 instead of making an additional file.tip.png. DS will downscale it to 91x91 for the thumbs and uses the 256x256 for the tips.

I have noticed quite a few times when images were definitely larger then a 256 square, which is appreciated since even when I didn't have eye problems, some images at 91 were very hard to make out, lots would just blend in with a similar colored background and I couldn't tell what I was looking at

Aabacus said:

This is MY workflow. 

TL; DR:

save a render as <<whatever the name of the duf is>>.duf.png  (figure1.duf.png)

put the .duf.png in the same folder with the <<whatever the name of the duf is>>.duf (figure1.duf)

Thanks bunches for this, I was thinking it's most likely similar to making thumbs, and thanks for the other information as well. 

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on