upgrade advice?

I hope this is the right place for this, but I'm looking into trying to upgrade my rendering PCs to perform better with daz of that makes sense. Right now, the one I'm looking to upgrade uses a Z97 gaming 5 main board with an Intel i5 processor (I can't remember the specific one off the top of my head, I'll add that in an edit when I can) 32gb of ddr3 RAM at 2800hz and an msi Nvidia gtx 1060 3gb (and yes,yes, know 3gb is less than recommended) Any advice is appreciated.. let me know of there's any info that I need to add to assist with recommendations Thank you.

Comments

• A 3GB GPU is not going to do anything useful, I'm afraid.

• nathn007nathn007 Posts: 16

A 3GB GPU is not going to do anything useful, I'm afraid.

I'm well aware, but its what I have at the moment.. graphics card prices being hiked up as they are. Believe me, I'd prefer to swap it with a more suitable one.
  • Sorry, I thought that was what you were upgrading to rather than from.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

nathn007 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm well aware, but its what I have at the moment.. graphics card prices being hiked up as they are. Believe me, I'd prefer to swap it with a more suitable one.

You'd probably be better off with a second hand 4GB 970 GTX than a 3Gb 1060.  4GB is about minimum to render two characters, assuming the environment/set isn't too complex.  Probably about a hundred on ebay.

• Alowe49Alowe49 Posts: 40

Upgraded from I7 2700K (1st gen) only ran PCI2 for my 6Gb GTX980Ti and 16 gig DDR3 2400 ram.

I now have Ryzen5 3600 GTX980Ti now at PCI3x16 and Adata 8200 PCI SSD and 32Gig DDR4 3200 Ram.

My test Render had 6 clothed characters an a couple of props lit by two IBL mesh lights - average time taken on old system 34m21s - new system average 31m10s. A mere 10 percent improvement seems to show the well specified 980Ti is the limiting factor.

So unless you want to be disappointed - save your money until a time that 8Gb and 3000+ Cuda cores is affordable to you - I bought refurbished with a two year guarantee for half the price of the latest 2060.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Robinson said:

nathn007 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

You'd probably be better off with a second hand 4GB 970 GTX than a 3Gb 1060.  4GB is about minimum to render two characters, assuming the environment/set isn't too complex.  Probably about a hundred on ebay.

Alas, no- card prices are through the roof. These are in the $250.00 and up range.

..Joe