Broken Hair

Hello, I have just made a single morph combining a bunch of smaller morphs (including my own from blender) i done on Victoria 8.1 HD. Removed all extras from body, zero everything, base mesh export as obj, morph loader pro, save morph, adjust rigging, freeze erc and then loaded on to a gen 8.1. I'm now getting issues when i use Marigold Hair from OOT. It sits fine but if i use any sliders or try and move bones then the hair stretches in weird ways. Is there something in the morph process that could cause this? I tried a different hair style and it was fine so i thought it might be because i was using Marigold on the old model, but i had deleted it when making the morph. Is it something to do with the erc freeze?

Thanks for now.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389
    edited April 2021

Not sure if it's what is causng the problem, but creating a single morph combining several others by exporting the result as obj and importing it as a single morph is not a good idea as it will break links to corrective or adjustment morphs.

For example if there is a corrective morph or adjustment morph triggered by morph A then it will be applied automatically when using a combination of morph A and B. But if you create morph C by exporting the result of A and B as obj and importing it as a new morph then it will be seen as a totally different morph which is not linked to the corrective or adjustment morphs linked to morph A.

So if you used a shape for which there was a custom fit morph in your hair as part of the character, the custom morph would be used when you were using the combination of smaller morphs, but not when using your new combined morph.

Post edited by Leana on
  • globallyglobally Posts: 122

Ah, its starting to make sense. As i said it only happens with the same hair i used on the original character, so something must be baked in.

I'm surpised to hear you say that combining morphs isnt a good idea (although it makes sense now) as i followed a tutorial that said it was the best way of storing your custom characters. I mainly liked the idea as i could load my custom character shape on to a straight Gen 8.1 instead of the Victoria 8.1 it is based on.

Can i ask what your recomended way of saving custom charaters is? Sub scene? and is there a way of transfering my custom character settings to other base models?

• You can use a Character preset (sahpe and materials). You can also create a single slider without the issues from baking to an OBJ if you set your character up, maske sure everything else is zeroed (no expressions, poses, or other shapes) and then:

1. right-click in Parameters to turn on Edit Mode (if it isn't)
    2. right-click in the property group you want to place your new slider in>Create New Property.
    3. give the property a name, adjust limits if needed (e.g. you might want to set the minimum value to 0), click Accept.
    4. Set the new property to 100%
    5. right-click on the new sldier>ERC Freeze
    6. make sure the sub-components are the things thata re needed for your shape and nothing else - deselect any interlopers
    7. click Accept
    8. test to be sure it works
    9. set the value to 0
    10. File>Save AsSupport Assets>Morph Asset to save for future use (if you want it to be available on loading nay instance of the base figure - otherwise just ave a scene, Scene Subset, or Character preset)

This keeps the original morphs, so you don't have to redo any corrections, but allows you to vary how strongly you apply the character (which is tricky using just a preset to set values) - the best of both worlds.

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

Thank you so much Richard, that worked perfectly. And very easy to follow steps.