Installing Assets

Hi

Just opened my Daz Studio and found that the largest majority of my assets are having to be re-installed. Anybody any ideas why.

I have raised yet another ticket for this

Thanks

Pete

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Why don they have to be reinstalled?  How do you install stuff?

• Sevrin said:

Why don they have to be reinstalled?  How do you install stuff?

throgh DIM mostly but never had this problem before so no answer for it really, a couple of itmes won't update either, still no answer

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Do you need to reinstall or do you only need to actually tell DAZ|Studio WHERE you installed it in the first place?

• Ascania said:

Do you need to reinstall or do you only need to actually tell DAZ|Studio WHERE you installed it in the first place?

re-install

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,893

But WHY do you think you need to reinstall? What exactly do you see that makes you think you need to reinstall?

1. Is the product showing up but has a missing thumbnail? - That is a current Daz bug they are working to fix. It has nothing to do with needing to reinstall a product.
    2. Is the product thumbnail showing but is grayed out? - If you installed it with DIM, that probably means that your Content Directory Manager is not looking in the same place that DIM installed it. You need to fix that, not reinstall.
    3. Is the product thumbnail showing up in color but has a little circle with down arrow on it? - That means your product is properly installed (by DIM in your case) but is also available to be installed by Daz Connect inside Daz Studio. DON'T INSTALL AGAIN WITH DAZ CONNECT!!!!!!!!! That will cause file duplication, and some products don't work when installed with Daz Connect.

• barbult said:

But WHY do you think you need to reinstall? What exactly do you see that makes you think you need to reinstall?

1. Is the product showing up but has a missing thumbnail? - That is a current Daz bug they are working to fix. It has nothing to do with needing to reinstall a product.
    2. Is the product thumbnail showing but is grayed out? - If you installed it with DIM, that probably means that your Content Directory Manager is not looking in the same place that DIM installed it. You need to fix that, not reinstall.
    3. Is the product thumbnail showing up in color but has a little circle with down arrow on it? - That means your product is properly installed (by DIM in your case) but is also available to be installed by Daz Connect inside Daz Studio. DON'T INSTALL AGAIN WITH DAZ CONNECT!!!!!!!!! That will cause file duplication, and some products don't work when installed with Daz Connect.

1 - i know about the thumnails situation

2 - No

3 - reinstalled those that needed it but has not duplicated, seem to have got it sorted now, but 3 products keep requesting for an update but will not do so. just want to know why it happened now so can possibly avoid doing it all again

• jus opened Daz and had to do them yet again, so whilst i am having to do this i find that i can not, sorry will not be purchasing from Daz and while having to re-install them can not upload anything to the gallerty as i can not use Daz. what could be causing this?

• Are they completely missing, or are they in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats>folder installed to or Poser Formats>folder installed to?

• petes imagespetes images Posts: 213
    edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Are they completely missing, or are they in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats>folder installed to or Poser Formats>folder installed to?

Content Library under Daz Sudioreinstalled them AGAIN but now have 14 assets that are indicating that they require an Update but they will not update. really frustrated with da at the moment, as they take forever to reply

Post edited by petes images on
  • So you are installing through Daz Studio itself?

• Richard Haseltine said:

So you are installing through Daz Studio itself?

yes

• That is heavily dependent on the Content Management System - I would guess that soemthing (security software, permission issue, some kind of system utility) keeps resetting the database to a previious state on closing DS, so that you lose the additions and so lose access to the files. You might try using Install Manager or Daz Central and see what happens then.

• Richard Haseltine said:

That is heavily dependent on the Content Management System - I would guess that soemthing (security software, permission issue, some kind of system utility) keeps resetting the database to a previious state on closing DS, so that you lose the additions and so lose access to the files. You might try using Install Manager or Daz Central and see what happens then.

work done so far

1 - reinstalled all that was indicating to be so

2 - tried updating those that require (all 15 assets so indicating) gave up. for example 1 got to 71% on one asset then seem to stall at that point, left for quite a while no change.

3 - uninstalled then deleted closed Daz. then reinstalled through DIM. Still require updating, still won't

4 - as 2 above + deleted from DIM  reinstalled through Daz connect, no difference

5 -  Installed from Daz itself, no difference

Never had this problem before

thanks

pete

5 -

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

Case is Connect has priority, so if DS detects something that looks that an product is installed through Connect, it will always use that even if it is broken.

So installing with DIM will not change anything till you have uninstalled through Connect.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

felis said:

Case is Connect has priority, so if DS detects something that looks that an product is installed through Connect, it will always use that even if it is broken.

So installing with DIM will not change anything till you have uninstalled through Connect.

And the forums are full of messages where the culprit is installation within DS, ie Connect... Using DIM and not letting DS go online gets rid of mountain of problems and you have your products installed where they were supposed to be installed = Easier to track down whatever problems afterwards. 

• PerttiA said:

felis said:

And the forums are full of messages where the culprit is installation within DS, ie Connect... Using DIM and not letting DS go online gets rid of mountain of problems and you have your products installed where they were supposed to be installed = Easier to track down whatever problems afterwards. 

thanks