Daz Central and installing Content to D Drive

Hi I am a longtime Poser user and have decided to try to make the switch to Daz Studio. I will be installing everything using Daz Central and need to know how I can instruct the install manager and Daz Studio to look at the file on my D Drive. This is critical as I have years of content that I will want to be able to use in Daz Studio (since 2002). I know my D drive will not handle it so what is the best way for me to start this off correctly.

I look forward to hearing from you

thanks

Carmen

Comments

• jestmart said:

Use DIM instead.

https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/

Does that mean the Daz Connect doesn't work? Or is DIM a better tool for installing Daz Studio and your content?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,382

Daz Connect just is simpler and has less options.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

There's a persistent bug in Daz Connect right now that removes all the thumbnails from products. So, best not.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389

carmen_ae44c38127 said:

jestmart said:

Use DIM instead.

https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/

Does that mean the Daz Connect doesn't work? Or is DIM a better tool for installing Daz Studio and your content?

For the record, Daz Central and Daz Connect are not the same thing. Connect is install directly from DS.

Daz Central is intended for people who have a simple setup. If you have a complex setup with multiple content directories then using DIM will fit your needs better.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

DIM gives you complete control where programs, content and various other files will be installed.  With many new computers having a fast but often small C SSD drive and a larger D mechanical drive having that control is vital.  Just remember to always run DIM in offline mode the first time so you can set it preferences.

• Thanks, everyone so much, this makes perfect sense to me now. I really do want to be able to control where my content library is located because it is very large. I also want to choose what I want to install and not have it all installed automatically.  Wish me luck.  and thanks again for your help

• Cat_DancingCat_Dancing Posts: 519

Hi Carmen. Very interested in your situation since I have the same issue myself. I would like to know how you get on with changing your DIM settings to divert content to your D:\ drive. i am about to attempt the same exercise. My C:\ drive (SSD) is absolutely bloated to such an extent that it's effecting the efficiency of my PC.

Good luck with it.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Upper right corner of DAZ Central. There's a little icon that allows you to set options. That's where you can specify paths.

I'm never crazy about people that when you ask for something, give you a totally useless answer. It's like saying: "How many fingers am I holding up?" and they respond  "Tuesday."

..Joe

• nannerfkmnannerfkm Posts: 24

Interesting. Like some other folks in the community my small SSD c drive is getting full, so I'm looking to move Daz content to my D drive.  Currently, I've got about 87 gigs of content in my My DAZ 3D Library.   I'm using win 10 and I have products installed by both DIM and Connect as well as the default installer. I'm thinking it's just cleaner to just uninstall everything and reinstall on the D Drive using only DIM.  I'd just use DIM for installations from now on.  Any thoughts?

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Might be faster and easier to just transfer the data and then use the Content Database Maintenance in the little menu at the top of the Smart Content tab to completely reset the database once the move is complete. You can have it also re-import the metadata - which is what it really uses - to set it up to tell CMS where everything is.

Couldn't hurt, and you still have the option to reinstall if it doesn't work.

..Joe

• AshyneAshyne Posts: 18

I created a folder (name it whatever you want, for example I named mine 'Daz Studio Contents') in the D drive (HDD), and using Daz Central (installed to my C drive which is SSD) I set base path to download Daz Studio to C drive also. Then opening Daz Studio, go to Content Directory Management option in the left sidebar, open Daz Studio Formats/Poser Formats, edit the directory and choose the folder you created. Then, whatever contents you place in that folder will be read by Daz Studio and appear in the Contents Folder for use in the program.

Thanks guys. I think I'm good. Some minor issues but a reset of the content manager seems to have addressed them.

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

I find you can have most of DAZ3d set to D:/ drive but for some reason output area is stuck to C:/ my main drive where i don't usually load programs. Depends on how you do your file locations when initially installing daz3d. From memory i think i had issues trying to get everything to run on the secondary drive D:/, the only part that daz3d really uses is the User file on C:/ even if you have a user file on D:/ for some reason it didn't like me setting it to that drive so i just left it on C:/ even tho its my main OS drive and is smaller then the storage and exe drive D:/ so basically all my renders will goto C drive but everything else stays on D.

Try seeting the destination path through the render settings tab (General/image path)