I morphed a piece of clothing, but now the rig is weird

So, let's say I have pants for Genesis 2 female that are otherwise perfect but I don't want them to go all the way down past the ankles, and so I make a morph where I raise the bottom most part to sort of be above the ankles, and it looks fine, so long as G2F doesn't move but as soon as the foot rotates or bends, it looks all wonky. 

What is the simplest and cleanest way to adjust the weights to reflect the new shape of the garment?

Comments

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

what exactly did you do to get it into the state it's in now

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

I exported an obj of the garment to maya where I moved the verticies around to shorten the legs a bit of the base shape, I then exported an obj of the new shape and imported it into Daz via the morph loader pro onto the original garment using the default settings.

If you only imported it as a morph target onto the original model it won't mess up the joint weighting at all. When you dial the morph to zero does it look ok?

Oh, I must have miscommunicated, at 0, it looks fine and moves normal and with the morph at 1it  looks fine when the upper and lower legs move, just around the ankles it looks weird when the feet rotate, like the geometry of the pants are digging into the leg

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,388

Diaspora said:

Oh, I must have miscommunicated, at 0, it looks fine and moves normal and with the morph at 1it  looks fine when the upper and lower legs move, just around the ankles it looks weird when the feet rotate, like the geometry of the pants are digging into the leg

edit the feet weights i guess.  if the pants are so short they dont interact with feet, there is no need to have weight maps for feet movement

Is there an automated way to do that?

just to be clear, the problem with moving the feet making the pants deform oddly does not have anything to do with your morph does it?

No there's not a really simple way to something like this but it's not incredibly hard either. There are a ton of little finnicky steps and I recommend you find a solid, thorough video tutorial over the specifics of rigging clothing in D|S - and no unfortunately I don't have one I can recommend, although I'm sure there are others who can suggest something specific.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,388

oh isnt it only like one step 

step 1: go to the weight map for each foot joint and paint away the weight map by holding alt.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

This may or may not apply as I do not use Maya ... but were the pants (and therefore also the figure) at 0,0,0 on the axes when you exported and imported the object?  I have tried making morphs in other programs and found mildly strange to horrible things happen if I change it anywhere but at zero base.

edited April 2021

lilweep said:

oh isnt it only like one step 

step 1: go to the weight map for each foot joint and paint away the weight map by holding alt.

if someone has never used that tool before it's not that simple, so yeah I don't tell people it's that simple.

e: like if the person knew how to do all the prerequesite stuff you're assuming do you think they'd be asking how to do it

Post edited by Squishy on

It turns out it was the transfer utility that would do what I needed.