Logging in from Studio causes icon issue?

Trying to figure out how to get around this massive missing Smart Content icon issue. One reply (in a now-locked thread) said to 'not log in through Studio' since I am installing purchases through DIM. I'm not sure what they mean by not logging in through Studio. I just open DS from desktop to use the program after I have installed a purchase via DIM (and then closed DIM proir to starting DS). Is that considered "logging in"? Or is there some other way of opening DS that I am not aware of which will resolve this ongoing issue?

Also- Maybe DS reps will wait before they lock threads so actual questions can be answered??????

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,893
    edited April 2021

This is what it means to login through Daz Studio:

There is a Login item on the Connect menu. There is a setting in Preferences to log you in automatically each time you start Daz Studio, once you have logged in and given your account credentials one time. If automatic login is checked for you, uncheck it in Edit/Preferences (shortcut F2).

Login on Daz Studio Connect Menu.jpg
    125 x 173 - 7K
    Preferences Login Daz Studio.jpg
    782 x 579 - 42K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 659

barbult said:

This is what it means to login through Daz Studio:

There is a Login item on the Connect menu. There is a setting in Preferences to log you in automatically each time you start Daz Studio, once you have logged in and given your account credentials one time. If automatic login is checked for you, uncheck it in Edit/Preferences (shortcut F2).

I'm sorry I feel I have to contradict you, but that's NOT the cause of the problem.

For one, it's happening to me while installing through DIM: I frequently let DIM finish the install, then shut down DIM, open DAZ Studio, and have to load the items a second time. Here's the catch--I've got tons of stuff loaded doing that sequence where the pictures are showing just fine, except there are numerous incidents where the photos won't load are all RECENT purchases. Only common factor seems to be for anything installed after March 17, 2021, even many re-installed items are affected--NOT everything, but MOST things. There are pictures for several products (both new and old) that do appear in the recent purchases I bought during March Madness, but their appearance are randomly scattered among the ones where the pictures don't show up.

Another thing we need is WHAT TO DO TO FIX IT!! Uninstalling and reinstalling only seems to make matters worse!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,893

You misunderstood the subject of my response. I was not addressing the cause of the missing thumbnails (which is an acknowledged Daz problem with Daz Connect metadata). I was answering burdenad's question about what is considered logging in through Daz Studio. You can see that in the first line of my message "This is what it means to login through Daz Studio". 

You are doing yourself a great disservice by installing from inside Daz Studio after installing with DIM. That results in having the files installed in two different places on your hard drive. There is absolutely NO NEED to install from inside Daz Studio after installing with DIM. Don't be fooled by the icon placed on the product thumbnail that indicates that the product is AVAILABLE in Daz Connect. It absolutely does not mean that you have to install it with Daz Connect.

The problem with the bad the bad thumbnails needs to be fixed by Daz. There are several workarounds posted in the forum. You can search for them if you want to (see link above as an example), or you can wait for Daz to fix their problem. In the mean time, if you use DIM, don't log in from within Daz Studio at all, and don't let it automatically log you in.

• Zaciszna DolinaZaciszna Dolina Posts: 13
    edited April 2021

The problem is that many new or updated .json product files are pointing to images files that don't exist....

"thumbnail" : "https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/0/small_image/60007139debfac8c824da48f6bc20d77/c/a/cassia-hd-for-genesis-8-female-00-thumb-daz3d.jpg";

Versus this one that actually works.....

"thumbnail" : "https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/80639/i/familyhottub00maindaz3d.jpg";

So it creates a Zero byte file...

Post edited by Zaciszna Dolina on
  • I have been avoiding purchases because of this issue. I really hope they are going to fix this soon. Installing through Connect is just much easier because I don't want to install everything I have bought over the years, and it shows a picture so that I can choose what I need. I can't memorize every name of what I want to install. I have over 2000 products! I really need those thumbnails.

• In another thread Daz_Jessica said they hoped to have the issue fixed this week.

• Thanks for the information, Richard. That is good to know.

• burdenadburdenad Posts: 33
    edited April 2021

Thanks barbult! That answers  my question.  Indeed the automatic login was checked.  I didn't realize DS was doing that. 

Also thanks Ryuu- your situation and instal procedure is exactly the same as mine. The other threads covered situations that were all slightly different and/or originated several years ago (which is why it annoyed me that a DS rep locked/closed a previous thread before answers like both of yours could be given).

Glad to hear that maybe they are finally getting this solved so I can go back to using the program because it has been way too annoying lately with all the visual Smart Content product info missing.

Post edited by burdenad on

Richard Haseltine said:

In another thread Daz_Jessica said they hoped to have the issue fixed this week.

Good to hear that someone's working on this and hopefully will provide the fix soon.

BTW, Richard, if you're going to keep telling us a matter that's giving us problems are "in another thread" and locking new threads asking about them, it would be very helpful to give us the link to the thread you're speaking of. It might also be a good idea to temporarily pin the most relavant thread of to the top of the forum so folks can at least see something--after a problem is fixed & goes away, it's just as easy to unpin them and let them drop below the first page. But until those issues are resolved, it's quite hard as hell to find anything, especially given the search engine the site is sporting.

• Pinning doesn't work that well - we still get posts about DS Big Sur compatibility in the forum that has a pinned thread on DS Big Sur compatibility

Richard Haseltine said:

Pinning doesn't work that well - we still get posts about DS Big Sur compatibility in the forum that has a pinned thread on DS Big Sur compatibility

Ah, I see.

Sorry if I sounded like I was getting too snippy over it. But please understand that between the fact that we lay-people might not be searching for "THE Correct™" terminology (be it supposed to be "icon", "display pictures", "product thumbnails", something-else-entirely?, etc) for the items or issues that we're having problems with AND the quality of the search engine to look for anything, it just made sense to me that pinning a current Troubleshooting thread for the period where matters are being Troubleshot would be beneficial to those of us looking for info.

But please, consider providing links to the relevant threads before locking redundant threads. It took me another 30minutes to find this thread after it took me hours just to find the last one that the OP had posted on about this same problem and saw that you had locked it and still there was no news or help there.