Dforce hair simulation keeps creating "bald spot" and small unnatural hair clumps

Hey guys, I've been attempting to use the "classic long hair" and "long wet hair" products by Linday on my G8F but every time I simulate I get a bald spot on her head, and the hair clumps up when using the "classic long hair" product (the clumping issue is not as prevalent with the "long wet hair" product however the bald spot is much more defined). I've attached a few test renders along with my simulation settings to help illustrate the issue (this is being used for an animation @0.5 gravity and 0 air resistance). Please let me know if anyone has a solution to this (or if some long hair products just work better and would be worth checking out)! Also: I've noticed that with a handful of dforce hair products, upon running a simulation the hair grows in length with each simulated frame (specifically dForce Elyssa Ponytail and dForce Lea Hair 2) if anyone knows a solution for this problem as well, that would be extremely helpful.

a163.png
828 x 321 - 226K
baldspot.png
1920 x 1080 - 2M
sim settings.PNG
447 x 432 - 29K

Comments

• maggivymaggivy Posts: 13

I'm having this problem too and it also crashes daz entirely. 
    Any idea on what the cause of the problem was?

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 664

For these 2 hairs you need to use the correct simulation settings :-

Long Wet Hair - Gravity 2, Air Resistance 5, Frames Per Second (FPS) Multiplier 4, Collision Itterations 3.  All other settings as default

Classic Long Hair - All Settings as Default

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited April 2022

Try setting the collision quality to "good" instead of "best".

For the hair that "grows in length" during simulation, try setting the stretch stiffness to a high value (see attachment) in the Surfaces tab.

All dForce hair are different and need different settings, depending of the situation (pose, movement, etc).

Read the documentation of the hair you purchased, maybe you'll find some answers

Creating dForce myself, I'm never sure if my default settings will be the best for my customers.

stretch stiffness.png
    431 x 253 - 26K
    Post edited by rosseliani on
  • SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

I'll just point out that you are refering to two different types of hair products.  The Linday products use the dForce Cloth Engine, and the other two use the dForce Strand Based Hair Engine.  This is a very important distinction.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try them. 

edited April 2022

Oh, and since we're on the topic. 

My computer likes to crash when trying to simulate long wet hair.

Would it be a good idea to run scene optimizer on the hair only before stimulating? Think that would help? 

Or is that something that should only be done before the final render? 

Post edited by maggivy on
  • rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

maggivy said:

Oh, and since we're on the topic. 

My computer likes to crash when trying to simulate long wet hair.

Would it be a good idea to run scene optimizer on the hair only before stimulating? Think that would help? 

Or is that something that should only be done before the final render? 

Scene optimizer only reduce the size of your textures files, nothing to do with dForce.

Make sure that dForce uses your best graphic device ( you don't need a RTX 3090) with the latest driver installed. (image 1)

Try to give more time to your simulation and change the collision mode. (image 2)

Give even more time to your simulation using the timeline play range. (image 3)

Image 4 is an exemple of my dForce simulation surfaces settings for a hairstyle I created

simulation settings_image_1.png
    404 x 211 - 14K
    simulation settings_image_2.png
    420 x 501 - 39K
    simulation settings_image_3.png
    410 x 321 - 29K
    simulation settings_image_4.png
    424 x 556 - 54K

Thank you.

I'll try those settings next time. 

But I gave it another go last night and once again it crashed. I might have to wait until I upgrade to get these things working properly.