Iray Light Memory Consumption

DafaDafa Posts: 97

Ok, 

So I have the scene open from the massive "Miami Beach Art Deco" and for the first time, I'm getting light memory consumption over 2 MB. Currently, it's at 104 MB memory consumption. 

My main question is What exactly is stored in light memory consumption? What causes it to go up? I don't see any Daz Lights (spotlight, point light, distant, etc) in the scene. 

Post edited by Dafa on

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I'm not sure what that means exactly, and the product has vanished from the store so I can't take a look at the promo pics, but judging by the one picture I can see on the doc page (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/72987/start) it shows a bunch of neon lights. So if "light memory consumption" stores emission information per individual face, and those faces are heavily subdivided to form letters, that would probably cause your memory use to skyrocket.

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

Ok, I found the main source for this issue. Instead of it being the scene, it was Jeans... Apparently, the creator made the Jeans emissive...why I don't know. Changing the emission color from dark grayish to black immediately shrunk the light memory consumption down. I checked the SubD for the jeans and it was at SubD level 3, knocking it down to level 1 brought the Light memory consumption down to 14 MB. But still, this doesn't quite explain why in chicken fingers do more complex figures don't consume even a MB of light memory consumption but jeans do. 

Dafa said:

Ok, I found the main source for this issue. Instead of it being the scene, it was Jeans... Apparently, the creator made the Jeans emissive...why I don't know. Changing the emission color from dark grayish to black immediately shrunk the light memory consumption down. I checked the SubD for the jeans and it was at SubD level 3, knocking it down to level 1 brought the Light memory consumption down to 14 MB. But still, this doesn't quite explain why in chicken fingers do more complex figures don't consume even a MB of light memory consumption but jeans do. 

That...doesn't sound right, lol. Which product is it?

• DafaDafa Posts: 97
    edited April 2021

margrave said:

This.

Post edited by Dafa on

Dafa said:

margrave said:

This.

On the bright side, those are some shiny, shiny jeans.