Measure Metrics Accuracy Issues

I am trying to measure the height of a character using Measure Metrics, but the value seems arbitrary. In the image attached, the height of the character is modified by adjusting two morph values. Even though the height appears to be the same with the modified slider values, Measure Metrics shows a significant height decrease. I have also had it where the character increased in size visually, but the height measure showed a decrease.

This tells me that Measure Metrics isn't really providing a useful height value at all.

Measure Metrics Height Accuracy.png
1074 x 1642 - 456K

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I bought MM a long time ago but to measure height I use freebie props.  MM measures a lot more than height obviously, but the walls are so simple to use if height is all you're interested in.  There are a lot of threads about MM on the forums and there's a learning curve

Here are a couple

MWall 2.0 for Daz Studio by SpyroRue on DeviantArt

Measuring Wall - DAZ Studio - ShareCG

If you want to use MM, here's a thread that may help

I'm trying to use the Measure Metrics Plug-In to measure the height of my character? - Daz 3D Forums

• poorman_65poorman_65 Posts: 140
    edited March 2021

I certainly could use a measurement wall for the height, but I really wanted to use the tool for other measurements. I can't use it if the measurements aren't accurate at all.

Post edited by poorman_65 on
  • The problem is that you have ended up with multiple copies of at least some of the measures. Run the Figure Metrics Cleanup script to remove them all, then reload and try again. You should not have any (2)s (or other parenthetical numbers) after the measure names.

edited March 2021

Hey Richard!! Ya! That was messed up from experimenting.

I am attaching a cleaned up version showing the problem.

This shows the visually shorter version to actually be significantly taller than the visually taller version, according to measure metric.

Measure Metrics Height Accuracy - Updated.png
    943 x 1540 - 362K
    edited March 2021

It might be that the GHD Height morph is doing something odd. I just noticed that it makes a "Y Translation" change, even though the feet are staying in the same place.

Update - Just confirmed this by comparing the measurements agains the MWall that Sevrin recommended. Measure Metrics works great with normal Height changer, but doesn't reflect the changes from GHD Height. I will have to check some of the other Morph packages that I have to see how they do with Measure Metrics. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

poorman_65 said:

It might be that the GHD Height morph is doing something odd. I just noticed that it makes a "Y Translation" change, even though the feet are staying in the same place.

Update - Just confirmed this by comparing the measurements agains the MWall that Sevrin recommended. Measure Metrics works great with normal Height changer, but doesn't reflect the changes from GHD Height. I will have to check some of the other Morph packages that I have to see how they do with Measure Metrics. 

One thing I have noticed about height morphs, is that some of them are taking the easy way out and just scaling the length of the bones, which in turn may make it difficult to fit hair and clothes on the figure. 

• That would be worth a support ticket, I'd think.

I have submitted a ticket for this. With additional testing, I have found that other measurements are also arbitrary. I have a character that shows a Cup size of H in Measure Metrics. If I change the Breast Diameter from 0 to 100, the breasts are visually increased dramatically, but Measure Metrics shows a decrease down to a Cup size of DD.

Is there a reasonable mechanical way to get these measurements? I was thinking I could try wrapping a ruler around them, Not sure how easy that will be.

• I know on the height it measures a straight line, but that distance changes depending on how the figure is posed.  Even having a figure at zero pose can create a wrong measurement. Feet together and standing seem to give an accurate height.  If you go to a zero pose from there it will lower the measurement because it would do the same thing in real life if measuring from the floor to the top of the head.  It becomes obvious when you pose them seated.

• Measure metrics is only showing centimeter measurements when I use the translate (regardless what measurement setting I use).  I was needing to see inches (for crime scene reconstruction).  I was also needing to be able to have measurements (like in a Cad drawing) showing the length, width, height, etc.  Any ideas?  I thought it needed the registration number but there's no box next to it in plugins to enter it.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it didn't help.  Any help, including other ways to put those measurements in the render would be appreciated.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

We are told

It is possible for the morph(s) applied to result in shapes that cannot be measured easily. If the morph(s) applied modify the shape of the mesh such that it causes tailor tape nodes (or the mesh) to drift beyond the point where the associated plane can intersect completely within the selection of polygons that limit where the measurement is taken (as highlighted when the plane is selected), then the measurement will be incorrect. If this happens, you may be able to adjust the position/orientation of the plane to cause it to completely intersect completely within the limiting polygons... but it is highly dependent on how the morph(s) accomplish the shape.

• To convert from centimetres to inches, divide by exactly 2.54.
  • rlytle3535 said:

Measure metrics is only showing centimeter measurements when I use the translate (regardless what measurement setting I use).  I was needing to see inches (for crime scene reconstruction).  I was also needing to be able to have measurements (like in a Cad drawing) showing the length, width, height, etc.  Any ideas?  I thought it needed the registration number but there's no box next to it in plugins to enter it.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it didn't help.  Any help, including other ways to put those measurements in the render would be appreciated.

What are you translating? If I create a new Measure Metric Tape measure and set it to measure a plane's position then I can chnage the Measure metrics pane to imperial and the distance is given as desired, similarly Figure Metrics dialogue. The value displayed in the Parameters pane, however, does seem to be locked to cm.