Conversion of G3/8 skin texture to earlier generations

Is there any product that allows one to convert G3/G8 skin to an earlier generation?  I've noticed the reverse (old to new), but not a way to apply newer skin texture to the older figures such a V4 or Genesis/G2..

Thanks!

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I use the https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-uvs-for-genesis and it works pretty well. Ocasionally I get an error when trying to apply a G3 skin and have to manually copy the surfaces from G3, which is slightly annoying, but I can live with that.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389

Here's the one to use textures for G3F/G8F base UVs on Genesis 2 Female: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-uvs-for-genesis-2-female-s

There's no equivalent for V4 as V4 can't use geografts.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks, Sven and Leana.  I've seen those products in the past, but the geografts were the killer.  To the best of my knowledge, geografts can't be used in Carrara.  Most Daz products can at least be exported into a format that Carrara recognizes - but not products with geografts.  And it sounds like this whole product is geografts!

I will keep looking/hoping for a better solution.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks, Sven and Leana.  I've seen those products in the past, but the geografts were the killer.  To the best of my knowledge, geografts can't be used in Carrara.  Most Daz products can at least be exported into a format that Carrara recognizes - but not products with geografts.  And it sounds like this whole product is geografts!

Look for blacksmith3d at renderosity or ultimate unwrap3d to create totally new UVMaps. there is a learning curve, but you will be able to create new UVmaps for other figures.

UnifiedBrain said:

You’re probably going to need to transform the maps themselves then.

The problem with using G3F textures on earlier figures (and vice-versa) is that they use a different number of texture files and different material zones, and if you simply provide alternate UVs for the figure you end up needing to use 2 different texture files for some zones. So these zones need to be split in two, but unfortunately the figures don't have polygons where the new boundaries should be. That's what the geografts in the "legacy UVs" products are for, they add the needed polygons and material zones in addition to the alternate UVs.

IIRC there was a forum thread on how to convert G2F textures into G3F ones with blender, the same process would probably work the other way.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,871

You can also use Texture Converter and its plugins, available at Renderosity, but you may need to be doing a fair number of them for it to be worth the investment, since it's not cheap. Worth the money if you are doing several, though.

vwrangler said:

You can also use Texture Converter and its plugins, available at Renderosity, but you may need to be doing a fair number of them for it to be worth the investment, since it's not cheap. Worth the money if you are doing several, though.

Does Texture Converter allow you to go back from G3F to G2F? I was under the impression that it only converted to G3F.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,871

Leana said:

Does Texture Converter allow you to go back from G3F to G2F? I was under the impression that it only converted to G3F.

My mistake. You're right; it's only from earlier to later generations. It does allow you to go from M4V4 to either G2 or G3, or from G2 Base to G3 Base, but not the other way around.