"Baking" Iray Textures

I am trying to export my character (fbx format) with clothes and hair etc. With some items the Overlay and/or Iray textures aren't there on export. Is there a way to "bake" those textures onto the clothing before export to ensure they show up?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

I render a texture square using a plane if it is a procedural

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I believe the FBX format itself is limited to basic surfaces export, so you'll have to reconstruct on the "other side" anyway.  I use FBX quite a bit and import into Lightwave and that's what occurs. I can then search the Daz Content & copy over the other map files such as Spec, Normal, etc. if the original has them of course. There's no standard for naming convention is the main problem youll discover.

LW has had PBR for some time using a node system and actually fairly straight forward.  Not familiar with DS's implementation.

or grab any temp LIE files before you close the scenes from your temp folder

exporting the FBX with embedded textures is how I solve that for iClone

more complex shaders than LIE with layers and masks need to be rendered out or recreated in another image editor

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I believe the LIE automatically bakes your textures. When you hover over it to look at the file path, IIRC it'll say something like "d23.jpg". That's all your layers flattened into one image.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

more complex shaders than LIE with layers and masks need to be rendered out or recreated in another image editor

Hmmm. BEFORE closing the scene. Maybe that's why not finding any Temp folder.  Where is that typically created?

where ever you set it in preferences cheeky

by default it's in documents DAZ3D I think

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

That's usually what I do for Iclone as well but there are some that use LIE textures just as masks for functions in Daz to change colors and patterns. I'm not sure how to render that outto an actual file.

load a plane, set your camera and plane to match dimensons with the camera looking down from above

use a white image as your HDR, no lights

copy paste the surface to your plane and hide the original

render your plane

use that render as your texture map in diffuse

• The LIE temp files are located at

C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

The LIE temp files are located at

C:\Users\(Name)\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp

...and there it is.  Thanks.  Didn't think it was under the Daz install or Content folders.

yeah they are probably there too but there definitely is a copy in the documents temp folder too, I frequently grab them from there.