HDRI as a backdrop + light from a different HDRI simultaneously?

Hi!

Just been wondering... is it possible to apply a HDRI as a backdrop with ground (Infinite Dome w/Ground), but use it literally - just as a backdrop with ground and shadows, and actually pull the lighting values from another hdri?

Let me illustrate it (with words, lol):

- I have a pre-rendered HDRI interior enviroment, like a room or something. I apply it as a Infinite dome with ground. I'd like the room to be visible, along with the ground and the shadows cast by the characters.

- As for the lighting values, I'd like to use some other HDRI, like a light probe or something.

Is this possible without compositing in Photoshop? Is there a plugin/product for this?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045

Octane render plugin free tier can do this

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thanks Wendy, I'm not using octane unfortunately :(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045

mwasielewski1990 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

me either, in DAZ studio

but if you do it is free and you can do lots of things iray cannot such as objects not casting shadows as well as environment features with 360 backdrops 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

mwasielewski1990 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

me either, in DAZ studio

but if you do it is free and you can do lots of things iray cannot such as objects not casting shadows as well as environment features with 360 backdrops 

I'll give it a shot, but it would be awesome if someone made a plugin for this natively for Iray, if possible. 

• wmiller314wmiller314 Posts: 184

I had an idea here. Set up your scene with the HDRI you want as a backdrop and render it. Then remove the HDRI backdrop from the scene, install teh HDRI lighting you want and render again. Bounce them together in Photoshop. Could something like this work for the scene you are doing?

• wmiller314 said:

I had an idea here. Set up your scene with the HDRI you want as a backdrop and render it. Then remove the HDRI backdrop from the scene, install teh HDRI lighting you want and render again. Bounce them together in Photoshop. Could something like this work for the scene you are doing?

No really... You can achieve this without photoshop with iray canvases, but I was looking for something to speed up my workflow pipeline, so that I could see the complete composited effect in real-time in the iray preview. Anohow, I really count on something like this being implemented natively in Iray.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2021

mwasielewski1990 said:

No really... You can achieve this without photoshop with iray canvases, but I was looking for something to speed up my workflow pipeline, so that I could see the complete composited effect in real-time in the iray preview. Anohow, I really count on something like this being implemented natively in Iray.

This probably won't be implemented, and it honestly shouldn't be.

Iray is a physically-based renderer, and having two separate HDRIs breaks the laws of physics.

You should ideally be thinking of Iray as a film set. There's only one world around the camera; anything more than that, you either need to use physical lights in your scene or do it in post.

Post edited by margrave on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

You can do this already.But there are some limitations though.

Put the HDRI you want to be visable in the slot on the "Environment" Pane.Set to "Backdrop".

Put the one you want to use for lighting in the Render Settings pane"Environment" with the dome turned off.Leave "Draw Ground" turned on so you'll still get your floor shadows.

The limits?

The HDRI in the backdrop won't be 360 viewable.It's sort of stuck in one position.

You can however rotate it a bit with the rotate buttons, and with the layered image editor can be used to fiddle with the X, Y position, flip, rotate, and invert.

The hdri used as "Background" on the "Environment" pane will not be used as a light emitter.It's used as a normal image.

maybe it can work for you, maybe not.But the basic functionality is there.