TEETH

what is it with LY models and teeth?  When you load the figure she has teeth. When you render it the mouth is a dark cavern. Why does the teeth not show up in the rendered results? This only happens with LY girls.  And its happens with them all. It was suggested to use "shaders" but then that gives the skin a rich (and beautiful chocolate tone) and she has teeth. But if I'm doing a Japanese girl and she comes in milk chocolate then WTF? I'm not playing into racial stereotypes but I would rather my Japanese girls not be chocolate skin. Any more suggrestions? 

AAARRGGGG

Comments

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

Have you tried applying your shader only to the teeth, rather than the entire figure? You would need to select your figure, go to the Surfaces tab, and look for Teeth there. You'll need to click the arrow next to your character's ID to expand the options, and you'll see another section called Surfaces. Expand that, and you'll see different areas named: Arms, Face, Legs, etc. You need to find the Teeth. With Teeth (or Teeth and Mouth, if you want to affect the gums and tongue as well) selected, apply the shader, or adjust the values in the options. It should only affect the selected surfaces, leaving your character's skin and eyes looking the same.

Teeth.jpg
    452 x 1056 - 102K
  • sliders49sliders49 Posts: 87
    edited March 2021

I so appreciat your help and comment but this [stuff] just not gonna. work.when I go to Surfaces I do not get all those options. All I see are document, material, shaders and when I select shaders I see items in the display like shoes and other clothing assessories. Surfaces I never see teeth in the box. 

any more suggestions. I get so frustrated. I am able to put out decent work but it could be better if I knew how to work and utilize everything

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 10.49.22 AM.jpeg
    1741 x 1002 - 383K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Switch to the Edit tab.

That's understandable, sliders49. Figuring out where to find things in the menus can be quite awkward. Jestmart is right: You're looking at a different tab than the one you need. Sorry, I forgot that there were other tabs within the Shader tab, as I haven't used anything other than Edit for so long. I circled the tab in your screenshot so you know where to look. Select the Edit tab, and then those options should be available to you. I hope that helps! Don't be discouraged. Once you figure out where the controls that you need are, your workflow will improve. It's mostly a matter of having to get past the "Argh! Why isn't the thing I need in there!?" stage. We all go through that! Luckily, we have the forums for help. The folks here have been great whenever I've been stuck and had a question, so always remember that it's worth looking here and asking to figure things out. :)

b8065f3d63a9c561d190db948d121a.jpeg
    1741 x 1002 - 541K

I really appreciate your patience and help. Unfortunately the pane that would show "Edit" has mysteriousy vanished. I just see the character and that line above it is GONE. "preset, editor, render baker" has Gone to where stuff goes (wherever that is) It has vanished before then suddenly returned . Perhaps later it will return and I will be able to try your suggestions.  See what I mean?  Look at the shot, maybe I pushed a wrong button or something....   :P

I find this forum very helpful and so appreciate everyone's advice and guidance. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 8.44.05 AM.jpeg
    1920 x 986 - 366K

The Surface pane.

edited March 2021

Ah, pane pains. They can be annoying. Sometimes navigating the tabs is like looking for a house without knowing the address. Well, luckily in this case, it's not really gone. The tab you want is the Surfaces tab. The one you've got selected is the Parameters tab. (It took me a long time to figure out where to look for things in Daz Studio, so don't feel alone in this.) If you look at the little tab/labels on the left side of the lower-right section on your screen, you can see that they're stacked one above the other: Parameters, Camera, Lights, Surfaces, Posing. Each tab offers you controls related to those things. Parameters will have options relating to the selected object. For a character, this includes dials to control its position within the scene, or the rotation of a selected joint, or even shaping options. Since you're trying to adjust the shaders rather than the object/character itself, you want the Surfaces tab, which gives you controls related to the textures on the selected 3D object or character. I circled the tab in your picture so you can find it easily.

When you said that the pane had gone, I thought you might have closed it or moved it accidentally. You can drag them from their locations and make them their own window, which can be closed completely, or you can drag them and dock them on the top, sides, or bottom of your Daz Studio window. Basically, wherever you see tabs on your screen now, you can move another tab to that area or remove the tabs completely. Anyway, for future reference, if you ever do close a tab and then need to open it again, you can find it by going to Window > Panes (Tabs) and selecting it from the list there. A little windowed version of the tab will appear and you can drag it to wherever you want to keep it.

I like your background in that scene, by the way.

98da30a829012a54326cb3ac507462.jpeg
    1920 x 986 - 486K
    Post edited by Quixotry on

Thanks for getting back. So I use surface and I can see "editor" tab above. 

So I select the figure, go to surfaces and I can then have teeth show up in rendered images? I'm lost. Can you take me thru the process, step by step. Only If you have time, then please do. 

BTW glad you like the background.  

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Some PAs set up the "Teeth" surface with Refraction Weight set to 1.0, which (if you do nothing else) will make them appear transparent. Looking around my own limited collection of LY girls, I find that LY Every Girl has refracting teeth, but Marika doesn't - but both sets of gnashers look fine in renders. Carefully comparing the two sets of material settings, I find that the one that lets you have a refraction index of 1.0 without turning the teeth to glass is to change the "Base Mixing" drop-down (near the top of the surface properties) from it's usual value of "PBR Metallicity/Roughness" to the value "Weighted." What that actually means I haven't a clue, but it seems to fix the glass teeth problem if you have it.

Now that I've found this fix, I've been able to apply it to Eilish for G3F, who definitely has this problem.

edited March 2021

Sure. You said at the beginning that you were using a shader that made the teeth show up but affected the skin as well. To use it on the teeth only, you'll want to select the Teeth surface in the list of options you see in the Shader Tab and then apply your shader. That way, the shader will only affect the teeth.

So here's the breakdown of the steps:

1. Select Figure

2. Navigate to the Edit tab within the Surfaces tab

3. Click the arrow by the figure's name to expand the menu, then expand the Surfaces section shown there. You'll have a list of different surfaces on the figure (arms, face, fingernails, etc.).

4. Select Teeth

5. Apply your shader. It will only be applied to the surface that you have selected.

I marked the relevant items in green in my screenshot. The pink mark is just to show you where the Base Mixing option that Chris-259934 pointed out, in case you want to try his fix and weren't sure where to find that option. The Refraction settings are there as well, but further down the list below Glossy Roughness. You would just have to scroll down through the list to locate that one. Does that help you find what you need?

Post edited by Quixotry on

Thank you for your patience but its never gonna work. I never get "Teeth" when I do the steps. Everything is chugging along until the part where I select "Teeth" I see very few items and "teeth " is not one of them. 

WHY ME? 

I'm just gonna have to make peace with myself that this stuff ie teeth on the LY girls just Ain't gonna work. I'm moving on to other issues. 

thanks again. 

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

Try the following:

- In the Scne tab select your character

- In the Surfaces tab expand your character

- And then further expand 'Surfaces'

- And there shall be a 'Teeth' surface

If that doesn't work post a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Below  is what I see. No "teeth" under surfaces tabs. 

See what you can do. 

thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 6.51.00 AM.jpeg
    647 x 954 - 136K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,319

You need to expand the "Surfaces" by clicking on the little arrow I've marked. Then Teeth should appear as one of the surfaces available.

Capture.JPG
    461 x 772 - 73K

I must be doing something terribly wrong. I found the tabs, I applied the shader as explained earlier  and the first time it crashed. The second try  I get this brown skinned girl, BUT THE TEETH ARE THERE. 

AARRGG 

What am I doing or missing here? 

Here is the screenshot and the render

Ah, I thought your shader was a tileable shader. My bad. blush

The good news is that it's not something you're doing wrong! It's just that the preset you're using won't work like we've been assuming it will. You're actually using one that's set up as a material preset, which works differently. See where in the little yellow bar across the top it says 'H.Material?' That means Hierarchical Material. We've been assuming that the shader is one that can be applied to any surface. A hierarchical material is a material preset that affects a specific object and an object parented to it. In this case, that's the Genesis 8 Female and the Genesis 8 Female Eyelashes. They're very handy, but if all you want to adjust is the teeth, that's not going to be possible with an h.material preset because it's always going to be applied to all the surfaces it was made to work on, regardless of what is selected in the Surfaces tab.

So, one thing that you can do is to save your own material preset. The benefit of this is that you will be able to choose what surface it affects, and then you'll always have your invisible-teeth-fixing preset available in the future.

1. Select your figure in the Scene tab

2. Apply the H.Material preset you've been using.

3. Go to File>Save As>Material Preset

A window will pop up and you can choose where to save your custom material and what to call it. I would suggest somewhere that's easy for you to find, like in the same folder as the one you're using.

4. Click Save and a new window will appear. This one will have a list of all the available surfaces, with little check boxes next to them. Uncheck all of them, except for Teeth.

5. Click the Accept button and ta-da! Your new teeth-only material preset is ready to use, and you can use it on any Genesis 8 Female character.

I hope that's at least a little bit helpful.

I am curious since I don't have this character to test out. Are you doing your final render in 3Delight or Iray? Does the character remain darker-skinned in the render? I ask because sometimes things look very different in the viewport but still look fine in the actual render.

19d1eb2e57d6fff7a3edee2c1cc629.jpeg
    731 x 1024 - 196K
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 105249.jpg
    692 x 731 - 72K

Don't post nude figures to the forum, put a bikini or something on them.  The shader that the preset is applying is for the 3Delight renderer.  Are you rendering with 3Delight?

edited March 2021

jestmart said:

Don't post nude figures to the forum, put a bikini or something on them.  The shader that the preset is applying is for the 3Delight renderer.  Are you rendering with 3Delight?I 

I use 3 delight. My bad for not putting hair or clothes on the figure. 

edited March 2021

Quixotry said:

Ah, I thought your shader was a tileable shader. My bad. blush

The good news is that it's not something you're doing wrong! It's just that the preset you're using won't work like we've been assuming it will. You're actually using one that's set up as a material preset, which works differently. See where in the little yellow bar across the top it says 'H.Material?' That means Hierarchical Material. We've been assuming that the shader is one that can be applied to any surface. A hierarchical material is a material preset that affects a specific object and an object parented to it. In this case, that's the Genesis 8 Female and the Genesis 8 Female Eyelashes. They're very handy, but if all you want to adjust is the teeth, that's not going to be possible with an h.material preset because it's always going to be applied to all the surfaces it was made to work on, regardless of what is selected in the Surfaces tab.

So, one thing that you can do is to save your own material preset. The benefit of this is that you will be able to choose what surface it affects, and then you'll always have your invisible-teeth-fixing preset available in the future.

1. Select your figure in the Scene tab

2. Apply the H.Material preset you've been using.

3. Go to File>Save As>Material Preset

A window will pop up and you can choose where to save your custom material and what to call it. I would suggest somewhere that's easy for you to find, like in the same folder as the one you're using.

4. Click Save and a new window will appear. This one will have a list of all the available surfaces, with little check boxes next to them. Uncheck all of them, except for Teeth.

5. Click the Accept button and ta-da! Your new teeth-only material preset is ready to use, and you can use it on any Genesis 8 Female character.

I hope that's at least a little bit helpful.

I am curious since I don't have this character to test out. Are you doing your final render in 3Delight or Iray? Does the character remain darker-skinned in the render? I ask because sometimes things look very different in the viewport but still look fine in the actual render.

I will gladly give it a try. Thanks . I will let you know how it turns out. 

BTW why are the LY models with this acursed issue? The other models, Gen 8, Gen 3, even Gen 2 does not have this teeth issue. Teeth pop up on all other models. Look at this scene with a Gen 8 and a Gen 3 Shania Check out the lovely pearly whites but a LY ...er Naw.

san jose.jpeg
    834 x 731 - 128K

I seem to have solved the teeth problem. I apprecite all the feedback but none of it seemed to work.  I discovered aquick and very simple  fix:

Load the model, use another model body morph (I find that Gen 3 Brittney works the best but any Gen 8 or 3 will do). .Load that morph onto your LY model and it does not change the appearance and VOILA. teeth appear after render.

My life has meaning now! LOL 

The image is of Gen 8 Bodhi figure on left I used a Gen 3 Eliza skin while right figure I used a Isabelle Gen 8 morph. Look at those Pearly whites. 

LOL

ABbobbi8.png
    935 x 820 - 1M
    ABbobbi11cu.png
    935 x 820 - 1M