90%+ of March Madness Purchases Thumbnails Not showing

Hey all :) I saw buried in another post others were having a similar issue but no solution. I've purchased several items over the past few days and most are missing thumbnails (old and newer (2020ish) items) but a few have them. I looked in their support folders and I see thumbnails for all of them but Daz Studio isn't reading them. Not sure what to do or even how to manually fix it since the thumbnails are there. Help, please.

Comments

• deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152

Hey, :)

Yes, I experienced the same. Have a look at this thread (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/480081/missing-thumbnails), the solution posted by NorthOf45 helped me solving it, let me quote it here as well.:

"If metadata gets messed up, uninstalling and re-installing, refreshing metadata, will not get rid of the pesky mistakes. It seems like it will add new entries, change existing entries, but not remove existing entries if they are omitted from the new metadata file.
    I go to the Product view and Delete the Product. This removes all metadata pertaining to the items in the product (presumable any references to the thumbnail, too), and makes it disappear from any custom categories. All that is left are the Content Library entries, which need nothing more than to be in the file system, but they have no content identifiers (Actor, Material(s), Prop, etc.)
    Note that it must still be installed to see it in the Product view before Deleting it. Once you do that, re-install from DIM and it should go back to normal. (Custom categories must be re-done for that product, if any)."

Hope this helps you, too. I hope Daz does fix it in general soon. 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

My advice applies if you are using DIM / DAZ Central as your installation method of choice. If you wish to stay with Connect, then you will have to live with it until it gets corrected at the DAZ end. At this point, another help ticket might add some more weight to the problem. Mixing the two installation methods is not recommended for basic content, especially if using both for the same product. It will install twice (in different locations) and Connect has precedence.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Thank you both :) I was hoping for another in Daz solution. I have had nothing but huge, massive-I'm-going-to-quit-Daz issues with DIM and Central- a small part of which helped kill my hard drive (not that I'm still bitter or anything ;) ) I guess I'll be filling out a help ticket too because I don't want to touch DIM- it usually just introduces more problems instead of fixing anything for me :( But thanks for the suggestions!

• CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72

I don't use connect I install from the pane inside the program from the Install tab and all my items are still missing thumbnails, so I uninstalled everything, and went to the install pane and there now they are all missing thumbnails even in the install pane too.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

I you are installing from within DAZ Studio, you are using Connect. The missing thumbnails are a known problem right now.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637

NorthOf45 said:

I you are installing from within DAZ Studio, you are using Connect. The missing thumbnails are a known problem right now.

I install exclusively via DIM and have the same issue :(

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

Are you using DS in online or offline mode?
    There is no reason for running it online if you are using DIM, Central or manual installation

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

There is no reason for running it online if you are using DIM, Central or manual installation

Alwats used DS online ... have never considered using it offline ... always had the impression that it wasn't a good idea to use it offline?

DMax said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

Alwats used DS online ... have never considered using it offline ... always had the impression that it wasn't a good idea to use it offline?

Using DS online allows Daz Connect to retrieve 'updates' and generally mess with the contents, and as it uses different folders (non standard/non traditional) for saving stuff, while at the same time stealing priority over DIM installations, I would say it is far better idea to use DS offline than online.

Using DS online allows Daz Connect to retrieve 'updates' and generally mess with the contents, and as it uses different folders (non standard/non traditional) for saving stuff, while at the same time stealing priority over DIM installations, I would say it is far better idea to use DS offline than online.

Good to know, I learn every day!
    The only thing I have always ensured was... I never have DS and DIM running simultaneously, always conscientiously closing one program before opening the other.
    Hopefully DAZ will resolve this missing thumbnail issue asap.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited March 2021

nothing is downloading thumbnails in DIM the past two days either

retrieve thumbnail 

OK can todays, not the social isolating resturant

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PerttiA said:

DMax said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

DS won't install, and won't show any updates for*, content installed through DIM/Daz central/manually with the metadata imported. It will try to install products that, for some reason, are not showing as installed in the CMS (because double-clicking an uninstalled product is telling it to install). So having DS on line will not cause issues for content that has installed and been registerd by the system - if it does prompt a download then something is wrong further up the chain.

* nor will it install updates for Connect-installed products unless explicitly told to - Install update is not the default, double-click, action.

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

DS won't install, and won't show any updates for*, content installed through DIM/Daz central/manually with the metadata imported. It will try to install products that, for some reason, are not showing as installed in the CMS (because double-clicking an uninstalled product is telling it to install). So having DS on line will not cause issues for content that has installed and been registerd by the system - if it does prompt a download then something is wrong further up the chain.

* nor will it install updates for Connect-installed products unless explicitly told to - Install update is not the default, double-click, action.

But, if DS looses thumbnails for previously installed products that have had working thumbnails, loosing the thumbnails is obviously related to DS being online => Daz Connect is to blaim. 

• PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

PerttiA said:

DMax said:

NorthOf45 said:

But, if DS looses thumbnails for previously installed products that have had working thumbnails, loosing the thumbnails is obviously related to DS being online => Daz Connect is to blaim. 

Yes, metadata will get updated automatically (since it needs current metadata to work).

edited March 2021

!! Found a work around (sorry if someone else posted it but my sleep deprived brain couldn't follow!)

It was in another post

(https://www.daz3d.com/forums/post/quote/480081/Comment_6576851

from this thread here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6578216/)

If you have a few missing thumbails this might work but be careful in the process of trying to figure out how to fix it I downloaded Connect and now I have close to 2,000 missing thumbnails (haha T_T)

-If you right click on your item in DS the smart content pane --> Browse to file location

-You will see an image file xx.jpg or xx.png (only tried on jpg!), duplicate that file and rename it to 1_PRODUCTnumber.jpg (Ex. daz_3d_350_killerwhale.jpg --> 1_350.jpg )

-Then navigate your folder up to Cloud/meta and in that folder you should see .jpg and .json files. They come in pairs. Cut and paste your new 1_350.jpg into this folder to replace the file in this folder.

-Go back to Daz and refresh your content. Your thumbnail should appear.

That worked for me and the 3 I tried but I do not want to do that for over 1k files T_T

Looking at the .json file it looks like the thumbnail url address for the files that worked are online and working but for the thumbnails that didn't work the urls are broken. frown

Post edited by sunnyjei on
  • Zaciszna DolinaZaciszna Dolina Posts: 13
    edited March 2021

When working online (signing in) by default DS looks the "Daz Connect Data" content directory for the metadata and images.  You can find where it is by going to Preferences -> Content -> Content Directory Manager and click on the little + sign by Daz Connect Data.  The images are downloading but with a size of 0 bytes and some products metadata seems to be a little messed up as well.

I downloaded the thumbnails using DM and created a little batch job to resize and rename them, then drop them into the meta data folder of the "Daz Connect Data" content directory.  It was a quick work around, but doesn't really solve the problem.

Post edited by Zaciszna Dolina on

lastjedi_af44b36af2 said:

When working online (signing in) by default DS looks the "Daz Connect Data" content directory for the metadata and images.  You can find where it is by going to Preferences -> Content -> Content Directory Manager and click on the little + sign by Daz Connect Data.  The images are downloading but with a size of 0 bytes and some products metadata seems to be a little messed up as well.

I downloaded the thumbnails using DM and created a little batch job to resize and rename them, then drop them into the meta data folder of the "Daz Connect Data" content directory.  It was a quick work around, but doesn't really solve the problem.

Funny that you mentioned a batch job. I thought about that but have never tried creating one and considering my first work around resulted in my missing thumbnails going from like 20 to 2,000, I'm not sure if I trust myself enough not to end up destroying my PC entirely. Definitely feeling some of @Cyberdene frustrations. I put in a support ticket and hoping they get back soon with a solution. If they do I'll post back if it works!