What do you backup to restore your Daz Studio?

HDD crashed, backup was corrupt. Redownloaded everything with DIM.

So this time I kept the zip files and backed them up individually so I don't have to redownload (lot of stuff, enough to put me over Comcast's new data cap if I had to do it again).

So if I had another crash and wanted to reinstall, besides the content mentioned above,

I've backed up:

manifest files

3rd Party content Zips

Scene files and Render Library (these were the most painful things I lost on previous crash)

CMS database.

Anything else need backing up? Like menus and such, is that in the windows/roaming folder? Or somewhere else?

I still run full drive backup, but even with USB 3.0 it takes 10-12 hours or more to back up the full drive. I usually run it over night and run the check file function, but obviously this failed me last time. 

Comments

• Yes, the layout files are in the AppData folder. Some settings are in the registry - you can export those and reload them by double-click but I'm not sure how useful theya re (realistically you are going to need to reinstall the application anyway, and probably plug-ins, unless you take a system image).

• Thank you Richard. 

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

It is a good idea to backup the current DAZ Studio version, just in case.

• Thank you @jag11.

Yup.

I learned that one the hard way when an update caused problems that I couldn't sort right away.

Now every version I make sure to save copies of the install files for previous versions in case I need to roll back.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I back up my main and document drives to an external drive.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226
    edited March 2021

I stuck with Windows 7 so that I can continue to use ClickFree backup. It makes an image of all the drives the first time it runs, then doesn incremental backups daily.

Unfortunately, MS got rid of Volume Shadow Copy with Windows 10, making the device obsolete. Sad, that: it's saved me several times over the years from disk crashes.

I also write every purchase to a DVD. (CDs in the early days.) I have disks all the way back to DAZ Studio version .8, and Victoria 3: every product I've ever purchased, or gotten as a Freebie. (Since 2005.)

..Joe

Post edited by joegerardi on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    edited March 2021

joegerardi said:

I stuck with Windows 7 so that I can continue to use ClickFree backup. It makes an image of all the drives the first time it runs, then doesn incremental backups daily.

Unfortunately, MS got rid of Volume Shadow Copy with Windows 10, making the device obsolete. Sad, that: it's saved me several times over the years from disk crashes.

I also write every purchase to a DVD. (CDs in the early days.) I have disks all the way back to DAZ Studio version .8, and Victoria 3: every product I've ever purchased, or gotten as a Freebie. (Since 2005.)

..Joe

The Windows 7 backup option is still available in Windows 10.  It's called, wait for it: "Windows 7 Backup and Restore"

You can not only restore, you can also still use it to backup drives, like the system drive.

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

No, Clickfree creates an image on a Linux drive, and needs Volume Shadow Copy to work. Windows 10 no longer has that.

I don't know if Win 10 will handle data, or just Windows. My backup gets everything on my OS and my Data drive every single night, and if the system dies, I can boot to the external backup and restore once the system is working again.

..Joe