Weight mapping problem

I'm learning weight mapping using a simple plane primitive. I'm having a problem where I apply a weight map and it just doesn't appear, there is no red colored surface to edit with the Node wieght map brush. These are the steps I follow:

1. Select plane, add dforce modifier: Dynamic surface

2. Plane still selected, create new Dforce Modifier Weight Node

3. Tool Settings, select Node Weight Map Brush

4. select a map (dforce simulation::influence weights)

5: Click ADD MAP

The map DOES NOT APPEAR!!! There is no red surface to paint!

The odd thing was, the first few times I tried this, it worked! Now, I've tried over and over and over... the map never appears. WHY?? Why did it stop working?

I've run out of tutorials to look at and things to try. I really, really want to learn this, but unless I get help, I can't go any further.

PLEASE help me to figure out how I can get the weight map to appear. Thanks.

Comments

• You mean it doesn't get added to the list of maps in the Tool Settings pane, or the model doesn't go red?

• LindaBLindaB Posts: 169

The model doesn't go red.

Here is a screen shot of the problem. Irregardless of whether I choose the plane or the dforce modifier weight node, the plane does not turn red. The frustrating thing is, this used to work for me, and now it doesn't, and I have no idea why.

weight mapping.jpg
    1860 x 951 - 166K
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

Hm-m, do you maybe have Weight Display -> Don't Draw Weights checked? (Weight-map tool, right click in viewport, Weight Display). "Draw Weighted Surface" will show the gradient as you paint it, "Draw Surface with Weight" will paint red all surfaces with any weight and won't show the gradient. Good for finding surfaces with faint leftover weights that might cause problems.

NorthOf45 said:

Hm-m, do you maybe have Weight Display -> Don't Draw Weights checked? (Weight-map tool, right click in viewport, Weight Display). "Draw Weighted Surface" will show the gradient as you paint it, "Draw Surface with Weight" will paint red all surfaces with any weight and won't show the gradient. Good for finding surfaces with faint leftover weights that might cause problems.

That solved it! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

yes