How to find which morph is used?

Hi!

I'm trying to understand how to find when a posing contol uses morph targets and which one exactly is used.

I'm looking at the new Genesis 8.1 FACS system and there are a lot of different properies. In the Properties Hierarchy tab, there are properties called "facs_cbs_...", it's not always clear if those are morphs or poses or both? For example, facs_cbs_EyeLookDownRight_div2 is clearly a morph, because there is no sub-components, it doesn't move any bones. But facs_cbs_EyeBlinkLeft_div2 modifies some bones, like "leftBrowOuter". Is there also a morph target attached or not? How can I find it?

I'm asking because I try to export those FACS poses to UE4 and I try to minimize the use of morphs, use only bones when possible.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

The related files can be found in "\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\FACS\" (for female) and you can open the dsf files in Notepad++ to see what's inside.

Both of the files you mentioned have vertex deltas there, so not just moving bones.

• InuGamesInuGames Posts: 65

PerttiA said:

The related files can be found in "\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\FACS\" (for female) and you can open the dsf files in Notepad++ to see what's inside.

Both of the files you mentioned have vertex deltas there, so not just moving bones.

Hi, thanks! Where is this folder located? So I found some dsf files in C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library\data\cloud\1_42071\data\daz 3d\genesis 8\female 8_1\morphs\daz 3d\facs but it's binary. 

Have you used "DazConnect" to install FACS, or does "DazConnect" also install to that idiotic location?

If you are seeing code instead of text, the file is compressed and can be opened in 7-Zip with "Open Archive", my dsf files were all uncompressed.

Normally the path starts at the root folder of your content library, where you can find the \Data, \People, \Runtime, etc folders.

edited March 2021

Truth be told, I don't remember installing it at all. It comes with Genesis 8.1 and I believe I just updated the "Genesis 8" folder in smart content once and the 8.1 appeared.

Anyway, it means the properties can have a morph and a pose together. Is it possible to export only the morph? For example, for the blink, how would one only export the actual morph data, without leftBrowOuter movement? I know how to export only poses without morphs, is exporing only morphs possible?

Post edited by InuGames on

InuGames said:

Truth be told, I don't remember installing it at all. It comes with Genesis 8.1 and I believe I just updated the "Genesis 8" folder in smart content once and the 8.1 appeared.

Anyway, it means the properties can have a morph and a pose together. Is it possible to export only the morph? For example, for the blink, how would one only export the actual morph data, without leftBrowOuter movement? I know how to export only poses without morphs, is exporing only morphs possible?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to edit the file, removing either the movement of bones or the deltas for the vertices and save it with a different name and all the internal ID:s for your own personal and private use.

edited March 2021

That's an ineresting idea. But there is so many of those files... I wonder if that would be possible to do it using javascript api? I mean disable the morph part or the pose part without changing real files? Then I export them as fbx, like i do now.

What I'm trying to do is to export those morphs and those poses separately then use them in UE4 same way they are used in Daz. I don't know Daz very well, but as far as I can see there are parameters with morphs and poses, then there are formlas which define how one parameter drives another. So if you could export those poses, morphs and formulas you could reproduce the same in UE4. So far I just did the eyes and it looks pretty good. But I never know if I'm doing same thing as Daz or not. Now with those dsf files it's more clear, still the formulas are pretty obscure for me. If you could export them somehow, like driven keys or something that would be great.

Post edited by InuGames on