How do I get DIM/SMART CONTENT to recognize my content on my new computer?

Hi Gang... Ok.. so I got my new computer.. YAY... I had the Geek Squad at Best Buy 'mirror' all my files for Daz over to my new SSD drives.  Daz opens fine... my old .duf files open fine... and I can find the files with no problem in the CONTENT LIBRARY tab.. but... DIM doesn't know the files are installed on my computer and wants to reinstall everything and SMART CONTENT wants me to install the files again too.  I've been searching the forum for days and can't find an answer.. Hence this thread... Is there anyway to sync DIM and SMART CONTENT up with my files so I don't have to reinstall all of my 12,000+ content?  I await patiently for the answer.  Thank you in advance.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,893

DIM uses the manifest files to know what was installed. If all files were copied over to your new SSD drives, you should have the manifest files. You probably need to edit the DIM settings to tell it where those manifest files are. Do a Google search for Daz DIM manifest files. You will probably find lots of helpful info from other people who have dealt with the same thing.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,211

I will look.. thank you barbult... Once DIM finds them ... will that sort out the SMART CONTENT too?

edited March 2021

Llola Lane said:

I will look.. thank you barbult... Once DIM finds them ... will that sort out the SMART CONTENT too?

What do you mean by "Sort out the Smart Content"? What is not working about Smart Content? Did you copy your Daz database to your new computer? Is Daz Studio configured to know where to look for the database on the new computer?  

Don't ever install a product from Smart Content if you have already installed it with DIM. If you do, you will have it installed twice on your hard drive, and the DIM installation will be totally ignored. Only the Smart Content (aka Daz Connect) installation will be used. 

Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

What do you mean by "Sort out the Smart Content"? What is not working about Smart Content? Did you copy your Daz database to your new computer? Is Daz Studio configured to know where to look for the database on the new computer?  

Don't ever install a product from Smart Content if you have already installed it with DIM. If you do, you will have it installed twice on your hard drive, and the DIM installation will be totally ignored. Only the Smart Content (aka Daz Connect) installation will be used. 

ok...  install with DIM.. got it... SMART CONTENT has me downloading everything... nothing is installed.  I've included a photo...

SMART CONTENT TAB.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 340K

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

ok...  install with DIM.. got it... SMART CONTENT has me downloading everything... nothing is installed.  I've included a photo...

FYI.. I've not installed anything with DIM yet...  I have over 12,000 files... Last time I installed on the hard drive it took me 3 months to get all my files sorted... I thought having the guys 'mirror' my hard drive would be a time saver.

You did not answer the question about your database. Don't start downloading or installing anything by any method until you have both DIM and Daz Studio preferences properly setup. If you tell DIM where to find the manifests and configure Daz Studio to see the database, you probably don't have to reinstall anything. I'm sure there are posts in the forum for how to do all this after getting a new computer. Search for them and follow the instructions to save yourself tremendous trouble.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749
    Did the geek squad copy everything or just your files? See, those manifest files barb mentioned are not located in your home directory but the one for the global account, something I'd imagine a pc firm to ignore because normally it doesn't contain important data.

barbult said:

You did not answer the question about your database. Don't start downloading or installing anything by any method until you have both DIM and Daz Studio preferences properly setup. If you tell DIM where to find the manifests and configure Daz Studio to see the database, you probably don't have to reinstall anything. I'm sure there are posts in the forum for how to do all this after getting a new computer. Search for them and follow the instructions to save yourself tremendous trouble.

Sorry.. I had to get to bed.. It was 3am... Database?  No.. didn't do that before the guys got the machine.  All they did was copy files from one computer to the next.  I didn't know I had to save the database... Don't even know how... sorry.  :(   I have DIM/Daz set up to save everything to my D: Drive... I have a special folder all set up... My content is in there... I can see my content and load my scene manually.. But nothing is showing up for SMART CONTENT or the PRODUCTS tabs.  

ShelLuser said:

Did the geek squad copy everything or just your files? See, those manifest files barb mentioned are not located in your home directory but the one for the global account, something I'd imagine a pc firm to ignore because normally it doesn't contain important data.

The geek squad only copied the files.. They said no programs cause that would be against copywrite.  Which I understood all I would need to do is reinstall the program... Sheesh... I'm sure learning a LOT.... lol.  

I was able to find the (.dsx) files they copied over last night... and copied them over to my Manifest (never knew about that before)... DIM is recognizing them, but there are about 500 that it found that weren't in the manifest folder.  So DIM wants to reinstall them.  I guess 500 is better than 12,000!  lol

Next thing to do is check the old computer... I'm gonna see what I can find.

Kerya said:

Maybe this thread helps:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6539301/#Comment_6539301

Thanks Kerya... I'm reading that linky next... My eyes are getting crossed and my brain is on overload from all the content... lol

edited March 2021

ok Gang... I read the thread that Kerya posted... but... Now I need to know how to get my SMART CONTENT and PRODUCTS tabs to sync with what I bought.  They are both showing I have to reinstall my content... Please see below.... 

SMART CONTENT TAB.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 340K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

Please note... I'm still having trouble but have moved to here..........  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6573026#Comment_6573026

Any help you all can give me will be MUCH appreciated!