Problems with DIM on new laptop

Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

I'm switching to a new laptop and I tried downloading DIM onto the new one.  While the app is on my desktop and I can open it, the instant I put my password in, it closes.  If I check work offline, it remains open.  Anyone have any ideas what the issue is?  I get no error messages or anything, it simply closes.

Post edited by Worlds_Edge on

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

I have installed and reinstalled DIM to no avail.  I also even downloaded Daz Central, then used it to instal DAZ Studio, but DS also would not take my password.  I have put in a ticket and I will update if a solution is found.  I'm updating this board in case anyone here has ideas of what could possibly be wrong.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

Do not be offended if this sounds patronizing, that is not the intent.

Did you create the account in DIM with the same e-mail you use to login to the site? I only ask because you have not said if you did.

All help is appreciated, and I don't get offended.  Ask away :)

I used the same email as I use to log into the site, i.e., the same one that I use on DIM on my old laptop (from which I'm moving to the new laptop) as well sa on my desktop.  As a "test," however, I did obtain a new account name/password and tried to use that to see if it made a difference, and it did not.

The log apparently shows that install manager is unable to connect to the database.  I don't have any fancy firewalls or anything, just windows defender.

Is CMS (PostgreSQL CMS) installed and running? If installed, it should start up when DIM is started. You can check for multiple postgres.exe processes in Task Manager.

If so, check that the CMS Settings in Studio (F2 -> CMS Settings) match the settings in DIM Setup (Adv. Settings -> Installation Content Database Base & Port). I have never had to change them, they always worked straight away.

To clarify, I have only gotten so far as downloading DIM.  I have not been able to use DIM to download anything.  I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that DIM would be used to download this postgresql cms file?  I don't have studio downloaded, I was going to use DIM to download studio.

Sorry if I'm making imperfect sense or not understanding something correctly.  I'm not great with computer type stuff.

Okay, a bit of a Catch-22, there. Yes, of course, you should be able to download and install everything needed to start: PostgreSQL and Studio. It's been so long, I don't remember how to start from scratch. I doubt the lack of CMS at this point will interfere, since it can be turned on and off during normal operation from DIM and Studio. Unfortunately, there is no zip manual download option that you could install from DIM when offline. There are executables to install PostgreSQL CMS and Studio the old-fashioned way.

There were a number of threads discussing CMS Connection problems a few months ago, but I never really paid attention since I had no problems myself, and didn't think I could contribute much. I don't even know what the solutions were. I'll look for a couple to see what's what. Maybe someone who knows for sure will jump in with answers.

• NorthOf45 said:

Okay, a bit of a Catch-22, there. Yes, of course, you should be able to download and install everything needed to start: PostgreSQL and Studio. It's been so long, I don't remember how to start from scratch. I doubt the lack of CMS at this point will interfere, since it can be turned on and off during normal operation from DIM and Studio. Unfortunately, there is no zip manual download option that you could install from DIM when offline. There are executables to install PostgreSQL CMS and Studio the old-fashioned way.

There were a number of threads discussing CMS Connection problems a few months ago, but I never really paid attention since I had no problems myself, and didn't think I could contribute much. I don't even know what the solutions were. I'll look for a couple to see what's what. Maybe someone who knows for sure will jump in with answers.

The default Install Manager installation will include PostgreSQL. If it is added to an isntallation later it will be installed before anything else, so it should be available as soon as possible (software is installed next, then plug-ins, then content - it's designed to cope with dependencies).

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

The default Install Manager installation will include PostgreSQL. If it is added to an isntallation later it will be installed before anything else, so it should be available as soon as possible (software is installed next, then plug-ins, then content - it's designed to cope with dependencies).

Ah, of course, so it should. It's been so long, and you only really do it once per new installation.

So, back to the previous question, are there any postgres.exe processes in Task Manager? You can see all tasks in the Details tab, and sort alphabetically.

No, no postgres.exe in task manager.

I think you are right about the threads discussing connections problems.  I was told this has been an issue with some people moving to new laptops and that, so far, the Daz techs have not been able to reproduce the issue so it is difficult to come up with a solution.

I'm so disappointed.  The only reason I purchased a new laptop was for a better graphics card and for use with DS.  My old one was just fine.

Hopefully there will be an answer, or a work around.  Unfortunately, I do rely on smart content so just putting my content on a drive and getting DS onto my laptop and using it without signing in won't really be a good solution for me.

If CMS was installed with DIM, it should have a folder in (C:/) Program Files -> DAZ 3D -> PostgreSQL CMS (with a bunch of sub-folders). Check to see if that exists.

Is there anything in the "Content Database Path" and "Content Database Port" fields in DIM Advanced Settings -> Installation ?

If so, you should be able to start it manually from DIM. It is the second-to-last icon in the menu at the top looks like a stack of discs. Does that start any postgres.exe's as seen in Task Manager?

I just manually transferred DS from my old laptop to the new one following a youtube explanation.  When I open DS, i get this message.

As a result of transferring DS, I do now have the postgresql folder with subfolders.

In DIM, the fields you asked about are filled.

When I click on the stack disk, it does not start postgres.exe in task manager.  I get this message:

Clicking "yes" did not do anything.  The message simply disappears, but nothing else happens and task manager doesnt show postgres, and if I try to sign into dim, the dim dashboard disappears.  To do the steps above, I had to set it to work offline.  If I try to connect, it just closes.

Sorry for all the trouble.

error on daz.PNG
    1075 x 371 - 31K
    install manager error.PNG
    926 x 291 - 16K

I don't know what that youtube video says, but generally just copying program files will break many of the behind-the-scenes workings with Windows and the registry.

If you still have the DIM version of the PostgreSQL CMS package from the other computer, you can install it while offline in DIM. Or, you can get that executable CMS installer from the Product Library and install it that way. You should probably undo what you just did, although it will probably just overwrite what is there, but build in the needed links.

So I should uninstall DS, which did transfer over (it asked for my license key and i put it in), and DIM, then I should download what is in the pic below (marked with an X), from my product library?  I hope I'm not tiring you out.  I don't want to monopolize your time.  

postgre.PNG
    2415 x 1355 - 189K

No problem. What else is there to do during a lockdown on a Saturday night?

Do you have the DIM version of the CMS installer on the old computer? You can use that to install from DIM offline. If not, yes, get the file you have marked.

Okay, when you say copied, you literally mean copied the entire folder structure in Program Files? Any other folders, like AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D?

If that is the case, "uninstall" might not be the right word, more like "delete". Remove whatever was copied ("Program Files/DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS", "Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4", "AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D") to get a fresh start. You can always copy anything you want to restore, like layout and menus, back in again later. No need to uninstall DIM, it seems to be working okay by itself.

Now you should be back to where you were before. Exit DIM just to make sure it starts with the CMS in place later.

Run the DAZPostgresqlCMS_9.3.4.exe to install the CMS. It should install to those folders mentioned earlier.

When done, the CMS should start (postgres.exe's in Task Manager) when DIM is started the next time. Let's hope...

Ok, now there is no DS (I deleted/uninstalled).  I have this:

DIM still just closes when I put in my password.

task manager shows 6 postgres.exe running but "disabled" - if that makes sense.

It is possible we won't be able to figure it out since the Daz techs have not figured it out.

now.PNG
    672 x 301 - 12K

Is there anything interesting in the DIM log files? There are two of them accessible from the settings icon: "Show Log" and "Show Helper Log". The second is for software and plugins that need approval from a helper app to install stuff into protected areas. The first is basically for everything else, content installation, product verification, . It shows basic status messages and might show something related to the login. Search for "Starting CMS" and see what follows. Mine says "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit". The disabled status might be because of missing support libraries.

Did the CMS installation install the Visual C++ Runtime? You can see if it is installed by looking in the Windows Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features. Look for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Distributable (I believe that is the required version, you might have others, too). I don't know if it MUST have that version, but I remember seeing some version being installed or refreshed with DAZ Studio updates. Maybe try the DAZ Studio executable installer, too, to get something going. You can always use the DIM version in the future, when the connection works.

The log says:

Error connecting to CMS. Cannot be started by client.

Also:

Cannot locate dzInstall.ini

I do have the ms visual c++

I need to step away so don't wait for further responses tonight.  I'll try getting the executable installer tomorrow, but since Daz know of the issue - some new computers are not connecting to content manager for unknown reasons -- I don't have high hopes.  Well, tomorrow is another day.

I really appreciate all the time you took to try to help.

Okay, fresh minds work better.

dzInstall.ini is for DAZ Studio, so, since it isn't installed yet...

I have DS installed now, but have the same issue.  DIM closes when I put in my password.  Studio does the same if I log in.  It's very frustrating.

I found other threads with the exact same logs as mine, specifically saying:

Cannot locate dzInstall.ini
    2021-03-14 17:08:15.606 Starting CMS...
    2021-03-14 17:08:15.606 Error connecting to CMS. Cannot be started by client.
    2021-03-14 17:08:21.454 --------------- Install Manager exited ------------------

I bumped one of those threads in case anyone has found a solution.  It's really weird that the issue is impacting certain new laptops.

Probably some arcane hardware/software interaction that does not compute. That "other thread" seems to have a solution, using the 32-bit version of DIM. Sounds like the 64-bit versions have a problem with some network interface, but who knows. As I said over there, once the product is installed with DIM, don't connect from Studio, you don't need it.

Thank you for the info.  So I thought I had a great work around because DIM 32 bit will download everything I need, yay!  Now I have a secondary problem.  For unknown reasons, DS is just closing/crashing on me.  I only downloaded the essentials and one character with DIM, to test whether the work around will work.  Whether I use G8 or the G8 character I downloaded, DS only works for a short time.  Perhaps enough time to clothe the character and get some hair on it.  Then if I try to change the hair color or pose the character, DS just closes with no warning.  I got the log and I am putting in a ticket.  If this issue could be fixed, then as you said, I don't have to be logged in on DS, and the 32 bit DIM can do the asset collection job.

Crossing my fingers.  Worked on this till 4 a.m. last night!

• NorthOf45 said:

Okay, fresh minds work better.

dzInstall.ini is for DAZ Studio, so, since it isn't installed yet...

It's from a stand-alone installation of DS, not DIM/Daz Central.