(solved) Is there a default location for tutorials?

cajhincajhin Posts: 154

Bought a tutorial, installed with DIM, the product is now in my Smart Content; but all it contains is a dust prop and a link to a non-existing help page.

Spent 10 minutes searching the libs for the video, nothing.

Now I'm about to return it on general principles. Before I do, I want to make sure that the error is not on my side.

Is there an obvious or established place where I can access the videos?

(and no, searching my disks with various expressions is not a real solution to the problem, I'm not putting up with stuff like that when I paid for it).

Post edited by cajhin on

Comments

• brvsnbrvsn Posts: 213

I have very few tutorials (I think 3) and only one put content into what I suppose is the right place: the Lesson Strip (enable or disable from Window / Workspace in the main menu); I installed the others into a custom folder, but you can always jump directly to the content of a package with DIM.. from the Installed tab pick one and click Show files list.. or from DAZ they should be into the General folder of your library (access from Content Manager not Smart Content)

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

cajhin said:

Bought a tutorial, installed with DIM, the product is now in my Smart Content; but all it contains is a dust prop and a link to a non-existing help page.

Spent 10 minutes searching the libs for the video, nothing.

Now I'm about to return it on general principles. Before I do, I want to make sure that the error is not on my side.

Is there an obvious or established place where I can access the videos?

(and no, searching my disks with various expressions is not a real solution to the problem, I'm not putting up with stuff like that when I paid for it).

1. In DIM, right-click the little arrow on the far right next to the product name. 
    2. Select  "Show Installed Files..."  A window will pop up. 
    3. Click on the name of the PDF, MP4, whatever, and you'll be taken to the directory containing the file.

Or you could look at the readme for the product, and it will tell you where the file will be installed.

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154

Thanks, DIM>Installed Files  did the trick.

And in the mean time, somebody has created a doc page for it.

(still, it's a pet peeve of mine that for some products, the PA spends so much time crafting something good, and then carelessly dumps stuff somewhere and lets the user figure out how to use it. The experience with some products would benefit a lot from a quick simple readme)

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

One way to quickly access non-Studio files (without leaving Studio) is to use a simple script that will open a file with its default application. Just copy this sample (Display Document) and change the last line to the path and filename of the installed files (in a mapped folder, i.e., library). Put the script where you want (rename it, add a thumbnail pic), either with the product, or in a folder with other tutorials and readme's. You can use the Script IDE to quickly edit the script and test it.