Clothing Creation

Hiya everyone!

So, as the title suggests, I would like to venture into clothing creation for Daz. I have scoured Youtube, I have Arki's tutorial on making complex clothing and google has been used so much my fingers are starting to hurt ha.

I have Marvelous Designer, I have made a 3d model of a t-shirt, but now is where I'm stuck. I know I need some kind of UV (the ones in MD look (to me) nothing like the ones produced by creators alreading selling clothes on the daz website) I also know that I will need to texture bake/produce bump maps/normal maps and most probably rig the t-shirt to the base mesh of a g8 figure.

I'm planning on using blender/substance for the above but I don't know the process, here's where I'm hoping someone can help me.

I would like to know the step by step process of what needs to be done and in what order (I'm guessing that matters) or any tutorials (if there are any I haven't yet scoured through ha) that will be relevant.

Thank you in advance :-)

Comments

• for the Marvelous Designer here is a tutorial on making the Maps. if you want the Blender one you can look up making Maps on Blender as well

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,389
    edited March 2021

I think that all of the tutorials on Daz store are geared towards Marvelous Designer+Zbrush worfklows.  So if you dont want to use Zbrush then you will have to develop your own alternative workflows for some of the steps. I personally think the Esha Content Creation tutorial one is better than the DarkEdgeDesign one. (Although i found there are gaps in each.)

I think i have developed my own workflow that just uses Marvelous Designer + Substance (and occasionally Blender) but have yet to actually finalise an outfit so take that statement with a grain of salt.  The Esha tutorial was very instrumental in helping me understand some of the processes around Weight Maps and JCM/FBM creation. Josh Darling's youtube channel actually has a lot of useful stuff that i havent found documented very well anywhere else:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqhpxQyGa7fm0LPoDz4s4A/videos

Btw, i dont think Daz expects Dforce clothing to have custom JCMs - but i could be wrong.

When it comes to texturing, that's really the easy part and probably should be done last in case you realise later you need to adjust the mesh.  There is UV Editor tab in Marvelous Designer which lets you arrange the UVs to your liking. In the latest version of MD, you can assign materials(fabrics) to selections in the UV Editor window which is very helpful to set up the material zones (previously you had to go back to the Simulation tab to do that). Honestly, you shouldnt need a tutorial to figure out how to drag things where you want them in the UV Editor since it's relevatively selft explanatory.  What you do need a tutorial on is how to export your .obj properly. See April's comments on the first page of this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/364011/the-marvelous-designer-thread/p1

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,547

Would probably be a good idea to find a decent rigging tutorial, though any for clothes seem almost non existant unless you buy from the store. The tranfer tool only transfers the models rig to the clothing item and if you have a dress or skirt, that will not make a proper rig.

Daz requires you have a rig and dforce on clothes you sell here. JCM's are required for any problems when posing which tends to happen quite frequently.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,389

You can buy some rigging templates for Transfer Utility from the store, for what that's worth.

• JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

lilweep said:

I think that all of the tutorials on Daz store are geared towards Marvelous Designer+Zbrush worfklows.  So if you dont want to use Zbrush then you will have to develop your own alternative workflows for some of the steps. I personally think the Esha Content Creation tutorial one is better than the DarkEdgeDesign one. (Although i found there are gaps in each.)

I think i have developed my own workflow that just uses Marvelous Designer + Substance (and occasionally Blender) but have yet to actually finalise an outfit so take that statement with a grain of salt.  The Esha tutorial was very instrumental in helping me understand some of the processes around Weight Maps and JCM/FBM creation. Josh Darling's youtube channel actually has a lot of useful stuff that i havent found documented very well anywhere else:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqhpxQyGa7fm0LPoDz4s4A/videos

Btw, i dont think Daz expects Dforce clothing to have custom JCMs - but i could be wrong.

When it comes to texturing, that's really the easy part and probably should be done last in case you realise later you need to adjust the mesh.  There is UV Editor tab in Marvelous Designer which lets you arrange the UVs to your liking. In the latest version of MD, you can assign materials(fabrics) to selections in the UV Editor window which is very helpful to set up the material zones (previously you had to go back to the Simulation tab to do that). Honestly, you shouldnt need a tutorial to figure out how to drag things where you want them in the UV Editor since it's relevatively selft explanatory.  What you do need a tutorial on is how to export your .obj properly. See April's comments on the first page of this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/364011/the-marvelous-designer-thread/p1

I haven't ruled out adding Zbrush to my workflow, I'm just trying to establish whats needs to make up the workflow lmao. I may have a look at the Esha tutorial you named above just to see, coz well, you never know. May I ask what your workflow is? It's painfully obvious that you're further along with this than I am lmao, I would also love to see what model you have made (finished or not). What are JCM/FBM? 

• @JoJoS   JCM = Joint Control Morph / FBM = Full Body Morph

You have to create them so the clothing can also follow extreme body shapes and/or movements without poke throughs and stretched textures. It is a science on its own ;)