Black backgound

A few day ago i was hired for commission work requiring 4 custom characters. When i made the first one, rendered it for sending to the client it had a black background instead of the white background a week of so before. There is no "scene", it's just character creation. Auto Headlamp on or off makes no difference and skydome is set to default Scene and Dome.

What changed and how can I change it to a white background again?

Test X.jpg
600 x 500 - 89K

Comments

• Check your save file type.

PNG and TIff produce a transparent background.

JPG and bmp produce the black background.

This happnes if you have the "Draw Dome" option set to off.

If on it'll either use the HDRI or if using sun/sky will produce a background.

• AnimAnim Posts: 241
    edited March 2021

All what DrunkMonkey said plus:

There are two places where backgound can be set.

The environment tab -> it creates a solid colored background

The environment area of render settings (and scene node in newer DAZ versions) -> uses an env sphere image and adds that as light source.

Depending on how you combine those settings you get different backgrounds in the render.

BG_1.jpg
    623 x 527 - 80K
    BG_2.jpg
    642 x 524 - 36K
    BG_3.jpg
    815 x 518 - 107K
    BG_4.jpg
    834 x 524 - 67K
    Post edited by Anim on
  • pzrldraltpzrldralt Posts: 29

In my render settings enviroment tab there is no type "background/backdrop". that choice is not there. Dome was set to off and with that set to on I got the view BG_4 scene which is acceptable for contrast.

Thanks much guys.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,319

pzrldralt said:

In my render settings enviroment tab there is no type "background/backdrop". that choice is not there. Dome was set to off and with that set to on I got the view BG_4 scene which is acceptable for contrast.

Thanks much guys.

There is a tab called "Environment"  which is for setting the background - it is not the same thing as the "Environment" sub-tab of Render Settings. If you don't have it visible in DS then go to Windows - Tabs to show it.

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

MelenieL is right. Some more details can be found here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/479066/help-about-light-for-render#latest

• pzrldraltpzrldralt Posts: 29

Found it MelanieL. Thanks much. that was not checked

• then check the file type. to get clear background it'd need to be PNG.   as was said before JPEG can either do white or black its a bit of a toss up which it'll chose. If you want a white background use the "Environment" where Scene is and put it ON it defaults to a white background. But there is another thing not mentioned here even if you have PNG as file type you can end up with Picture viewers showing black or White when viewing. its still a clear background but the viewer just fills it in instead of showing no background.