A subdivision question....

Like most, I realize that DS has the ability to increase polygon count via 'subdivision'. Normally, this is used on an entire mesh.

However, is there a way to selectively pick and choose which polygons are subdivided, as opposed to doing so for the entire mesh?

Comments

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

No, I don't believe so. At least not natively. Subdivision, when added as a modifier, is non-desttructive. Partial subdivision won't just affect the selected polygons, but the surrounding ones too:

partsubd.jpg
    1002 x 719 - 411K
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 166
    edited March 2021

Well, that sucks.

BTW, what was done in that picture is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.... or something like that.

Well.... maybe in some future update, DAZ will see the logic of making subdivision more useful for situations like this.

Post edited by Georgehaze on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

SubD doesn't actually alter the mesh.  To do that, you'd need to export to Blender, etc.  Actually changing the mesh would change the UV though, which would mean that the existing textures would no longer work.

• Trying to SubD only part of a continuous mesh produces odd results in other modelling applications.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Trying to SubD only part of a continuous mesh produces odd results in other modelling applications.

especially with smoothing. the region where the altered and the original meet can look pretty wierd