3DU Monsters in My Closet - Eyes black in Iray Preview & Render

I have played with many of the settings but have not been able to figure out why the eyes for Monsters in My Closet are darkened so much that you can't seen the white, iris, or pupils.   Any tips would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• 3D Universe3D Universe Posts: 328

We'll have a look at this. It's probably the 3Delight shaders not working properly in Iray.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

Works okay for me (v4.12). What kind of lighting are you using? Is it the infamous too-far-from-the-center black eyes thing?

Here's a little test in Iray. The two on the left are untouched 3DL materials, the one on the right is converted to Iray before rendering. All eyes are okay.

MimC_test001_med.jpg
    800 x 450 - 88K
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

4.12 here, as well.

I am using https://www.daz3d.com/orestes-iray-hdri-skydomes-summer-day. ; A single monster loaded with the HDRI and all works as expected; tried with both 3dl and then the DAZ Uber Shader.

Two factors seem to be causing the eye issue: distance from the origin and the reduced the scale of the monsters. DS, also, doesn't seem to like the character scale reduced.  It acts as if the camera is running through the character before the camera is there.  Perhaps it is because it is a .cr file.

Thanks for the responses!

• do you have an environment transparancy or a window you are looking through? got the same issue in the below pic character renders without issue in blank scene or other environments but all characters in this scene get black eyes. (photoshop fixed them)

snowypass1a.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

dragoneyes002 said:

do you have an environment transparancy or a window you are looking through? got the same issue in the below pic character renders without issue in blank scene or other environments but all characters in this scene get black eyes. (photoshop fixed them)

That could be a ray-tracing limit if you don't have it set to -1 (Iray uses as many as is needed, or something like that). You need to count the number of times a ray bounces or passes through a surface between its source and the camera. Pass through a window, add one (or two if the thickness is modelled), then reflections from the eyes could add three or four more, then back through the window, etc. If you don't want to give Iray unlimited ray-tracing, increase the value one at a time. Something like 5 to 7 is usually good enough.

• NorthOf45 said:

dragoneyes002 said:

do you have an environment transparancy or a window you are looking through? got the same issue in the below pic character renders without issue in blank scene or other environments but all characters in this scene get black eyes. (photoshop fixed them)

That could be a ray-tracing limit if you don't have it set to -1 (Iray uses as many as is needed, or something like that). You need to count the number of times a ray bounces or passes through a surface between its source and the camera. Pass through a window, add one (or two if the thickness is modelled), then reflections from the eyes could add three or four more, then back through the window, etc. If you don't want to give Iray unlimited ray-tracing, increase the value one at a time. Something like 5 to 7 is usually good enough.

Thanks I really should have remembered that. had to set it often enough in other applications. although the 2 minutes in photoshop wasn't exactly horrific either.