Hide and save geometry

boubakeurjohnboubakeurjohn Posts: 28

Hi guys,

Is it possible to hide part of an environment/set and have it stay hidden when saving and reloading the scene?

The hiding part I can do, either by selecting parts of the geometry then right-click -> hide selection, or via the groups in the Tool Settings pane. But when done that way, the part I hid gets visible again when I load the saved scene.

Is there a way to have the geometry stay hidden?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edit: to give an example, I'd like to do this is for products like rooms without seperate walls in the scene tab, just one "room" prop

Post edited by boubakeurjohn on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Why are you not using the eye icons in the Scene tab?

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460
    edited March 2021

If those polygon selections are not linked to a bone, they can't be hidden and shown via the scene hierarchy - which isn't hard to do at all actually, you can create bones for each part you want to hide/show and not even worry about positioning them or weighting them. Look into any of the basic rigging tutorials out there and keep in mind you don't have to worry about bone positions or weighting at all, for this purpose, just creating some bones and face groups, and then associating the bones with face groups in the joint editor.

e: and yes hide/show state can be saved into a scene subset, or probably other formats

Post edited by Squishy on
  • @Ascania: Because the part I want to hide is not a separate prop I can hide in the scene tab, it's part of something I don't want to hide entirely

@pjzanca: Thank you, I'll look into that

Keeping the thread open for the time being, in case someone else knows of another way.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Best way i have found is to create a new material zone for the hidden polys. Then you can just turn down the opacity and it will save just fine