Some hair has extremely low render quality

So I recently found out the huge performance difference between these two hair products.

Up: Matilda Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)

Down: Classic Bob Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)

Left: PNG. Right: canvas EXR.

Both of them are rendered in the same scene, with exactly the same render settings, the default environment. They both received 150 iterations. The render time to reach these 150 iterations is almost identical. But the rendering result is so different. In order for Matilda Hair to get an acceptable noise level, it has to get 5 times more iterations than regular hair products.

Anything I can do to improve the render quality in the material settings? Or how to avoid this kind of product in the future?

Thank you.

Comments

• It took me literally days and countless hours trying to solve this issue. Thanks to the member devinblk7, I finally found out how to solve it within seconds. I still don't know why this would cause such a weird problem. For newcomers with the same issue, here is the screenshot.

You can actually choose all these highlighted materials and change their cutout opacity all at once to anything under 1. That will solve all the problems.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The question you should be asking is, why is there no transparency map in Cutout Opacity?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

jestmart said:

The question you should be asking is, why is there no transparency map in Cutout Opacity?

because both hairs use different design techniques. the strands with no transparency map is because they are using fibermesh which is actual geometry in combination with transmapped mesh which needs the transparency map in the curout opacity slot. The classic bob hair is all transmapped mesh which is why it looks different and doesn't take as long to render. The fix posted above was just turning off the fibermesh part of the hair, which means you are just rendering only part of the product.

• @jestmart. Actually there is a transparency map in the cutout opacity, but because I selected multiple sub materials, so they don't show up anymore. If you only select one sub material, you will see it.

@FSMCDesigns, thank you for adding that. Could you help me understand why changing from 1 to 0.99 will disable fiber mesh? Where can I see the fiber mesh attached to the base mesh? Thank you again.

• @markusmatern, thanks, I didn't realize that I could search firefly. These posts you mentioned are very helpful. Wish I saw them sooner before I wasted so much time myself. :-D

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213

I had the same problem and followed advice in another post to set the SSS amount in the surfaces tab for all parts of the hair to Zero.  It worked, thankfully! :)