Strand Based Hair between G8 and G8.1

SquishySquishy Posts: 460

I make a strand based body hair around G8, get it working perfectly, try to fit it on G8.1 and am utterly stumped. It loads without error but it doesn't follow the G8.1 mesh. Saving it with "Set Compatible With G8.1" and reloading it doesn't affect anything. It looks like this is because the surface names are different between G8 and G8.1 ("Body" vs "Torso"). Is there a simple workaround for this for distributing hairs? Material files obviously work around this sad ha oops, material files have the same problem (not interchangeable)

Post edited by Squishy on

Comments

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

Was any justification given for renaming the Torso surface to Body?

It looks like the save files for strand based hair actually save a copy of the entire original mesh the hair was made for, including the material surface groups, doesn't look like this will have a happy ending I guess.

• Most artists use a skullcap for the ahir, so that it can be exchanged as needed between similar figures. For your own use you could make a skullcap by selecting parts of the head with the Geoemtry editor, deleting uneselected fro right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete unselected, and then exporting as a prop.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,394
    edited March 2021

Yes, sbh is based on the material zones, so torso ones wont work for g8.1 as there is no torso material zone for 8.1.

Hmm, actually i just did some tests and the SBH do work from G8 torso on G8.1 body (at least in terms of fitting to the body, but rendering is a different matter). Only the style preview lines show, the renderable hairs dont follow.

seems like it would be easy for daz to fix, since it is already working for the style lines.

Capture.JPG
    2419 x 1133 - 274K
    Post edited by lilweep on

Richard Haseltine said:

Most artists use a skullcap for the ahir, so that it can be exchanged as needed between similar figures. For your own use you could make a skullcap by selecting parts of the head with the Geoemtry editor, deleting uneselected fro right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete unselected, and then exporting as a prop.

Hmm, I guess this makes sense to do, I'll consider it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

can't you just change the UV in surfaces to 8 from 8.1?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I think daz has to fix this 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

lilweep said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

or sell everyone new hirsute and furry DAZ people enlightenedpossibly the plan all along devil 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

no, because the problem isn't the UV, it's the material surface name mismatch between the geometry embedded in the hair save file and the target figure. even saving the hair file as text, I don't think I can edit it by hand to convert it because the geometry data (which has the surface definitions embedded in it) is not plaintext and aside from that it would just be a conversion, it's not even convenient for the end user.

lilweep said:

tbh I doubt they will acknowledge it as a bug, the material surface was not renamed by accident.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

pjzanca said:

The Torso surface was not just renamed it was split into two zones.

I'm not super pleased about the workaround of adding another conformer to be the base for a hair but ok I guess I'll make it work. At least the save files will be a lot smaller (don't need to embed the entire G8 figure geometry)

Leana said:

pjzanca said:

The Torso surface was not just renamed it was split into two zones.

pjzanca said:

no, because the problem isn't the UV, it's the material surface name mismatch between the geometry embedded in the hair save file and the target figure. even saving the hair file as text, I don't think I can edit it by hand to convert it because the geometry data (which has the surface definitions embedded in it) is not plaintext and aside from that it would just be a conversion, it's not even convenient for the end user.

pjzanca said:

lilweep said:

tbh I doubt they will acknowledge it as a bug, the material surface was not renamed by accident.

In my post - i showed that the change in material zones does not interfere with the fitting of the SBH hair preview/style lines.

So i think you might be misdiagnosing the source of the problem as being related to the material zone names - otherwise why can we still fit the SBH hair to the figure and why do the preview lines still follow the figure?

Maybe I am, but I've already done the workaround of the "cap" follower and done a bunch of work around that, and I'll have finished the project before anybody on the DAZ dev team even looks at this, let alone fixes it/releases an update. If there ends up being another workaround I'll be happy to hear of it and maybe use it in future work.

well of course. 

Btw, there is a freebie headcap on sharecg that i was using - so you dont have to make your own one like Richard said.  

If you subdivide the cap to higher geometry mesh, you will get more style lines in SBH editor, since they spawn at veritices.  This is another benefit of using the haircap (provided that you want more style guides.Obviously more is not always better in some cases)

A head cap is one thing though. What about body hair. Are we supposed to make a body cap...?  I ended up just remaking all body hair for G8.1

I actually already did it (this was for body hair) and it works fine, you don't need to really care about if the geometry deforms super perfectly because you can just make it hidden and save it that way, when the user loads the "cap" it will remain hidden. It's a little convoluted but it works OK I guess.

The Flowerbox.png
    600 x 800 - 100K