Canvas and Alpha

Hello!

I've been trying to figure out how to produce a proper alpha mask/picture/whatever you want to call it using the canvas system.

By using the canvas, Type: Alpha and then selecting what I want to be in the alpha, for example Genesis 8 figure, no matter what, what it produced is always a black picture and then an exr that is an alpha of everything. Pretty much the whole picture is white.

What is the correct procedure, configuration/setting to have a solid alpha mask with ONLY what you select in the nodes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,342
    edited March 2021

Are you making a Node List in the lower half of the pane, then adding your target items to the node list by clickign the ... button next to its name and assigning that to the canvas? Doinfg that, and with Draw Ground and Draw Dome off, I get the expected result.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Alien AlloyAlien Alloy Posts: 181

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you making a Node List in the lower half of the pane, then adding your target items to the node list by clickign the ... button next to its name and assigning that to the canvas?

In the bottom part

Node Lists:
    and I've added all the parts.

In the middle pannel, there is Canvas1, as Type I select Alpha and Nodes, I give the NL1 (which is the bottom selection ofcourse).

Picture always turn out white.

• Did you have Draw Dome and Draw Ground off? Where are you opening the canvas .exr?

• Alien AlloyAlien Alloy Posts: 181

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you have Draw Dome and Draw Ground off? Where are you opening the canvas .exr?

Draw dome was on, but incidentally the part of the dome you see out of a window, is transparent.

The rest of the scene, is all white.

Yep, the exr inside photoshop, checking the channels to make sure there wasn't anything hidden. All white

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

I forget the terminology in Photoshop ... but are you lowering the 'exposure' of the exr white image ... by memory I think -13 or so ... you should see something then.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866

Alpha canvas with node list used to work. Here is an example I posted 2 years ago. I opened that same old scene and rendered in DS 4.15. The node list seems to be ignored now, just like Alien Alloy reported. It looks like either Daz or Nvidia broke/changed something. Here is a comparison of what I got before (on the left), and what I get now (on the right).

Alpha Canvas Old and New.jpg
    2065 x 767 - 52K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,866

I found a method that might work for you. Instead of creating an Alpha canvas, create a second Beauty canvas, assign your node list, and check the A;pha checkbox. Open the EXR file in Photoshop and select to open with Alpha Channel. Then you can use that alpha channel for your mask. You can duplicate the alpha channel into another open image, like your "real" beaurty canvas.

Screenshot 2021-03-05 Alpha Canvas workaround.jpg
    576 x 948 - 66K
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 open as alpha channel.jpg
    263 x 118 - 12K
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 PS6 Alpha Channel.jpg
    777 x 612 - 43K
  • jtljtl Posts: 1

barbult said:

Alpha canvas with node list used to work. Here is an example I posted 2 years ago. I opened that same old scene and rendered in DS 4.15. The node list seems to be ignored now, just like Alien Alloy reported. It looks like either Daz or Nvidia broke/changed something. Here is a comparison of what I got before (on the left), and what I get now (on the right).

Hi! Anything new about this? I have the same exact problem; what used to work with alpha canvas 2 years ago, doesn`t work now; and the png (or alpha channel from beauty canvas) is not as detailed as I used to get with alpha canvas