Swimsuit simulation in Marvelous Designer

JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

Hi, Guys. Anyone who animates clothes in Marvelous Designer? The swimsuit has thin straps between the cups. They should be taut as a string. Instead, they hang out while animating inside the Marvelous Designer. I tried different places for pins. Different fabric presets. I tried to use the CPU and GPU. I think using the CPU is the right solution, but it still doesn't help. The straps hang loose as if they weigh nothing. The rest of the swimsuit is simulated adequately (where the fabric is larger). Maybe there are some settings that will make the fabric be tight and taut?

Post edited by Jovanni on

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,394

Is it an Obj or is it a marvelous designer garment?

• JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

lilweep said:

Yes, this is OBJ. 

• Sounds like a buckling issue. If you click on the help menu there should be an option that takes you to the manual. Just look for fabric physical properties and read through them. It's worth the time. 
    i think there's also an option to partially freeze some part of the garment but I think that will stop it from simulating entirely. Which you don't want for an animation. 
    make it its own fabric and mess around with all the properties. Use a preset like heavy leather and then tweak from that. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,394
    edited March 2021

dantist22121991 said:

lilweep said:

Yes, this is OBJ. 

i think you have less freedom to simulate obj-to-garments in Marvelous Designer.

You can adjust the fabric properties of a whole obj, but i guess the question is - how do you adjust just part of the obj?

I dont know if this works, but If you import your garment as Obj-to-garment and then choose to make a 2d pattern from it, you might be able to use the steam tool.  The steam tool can let you apply srink weft/shrink warp to particular areas. Shrink Weft/Shrink Warp can shrink the X/Y accordingly.

I dont think you can use steam tool on the 3d viewport, only the 2d viewport.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

lilweep said:

dantist22121991 said:

lilweep said:

Yes, this is OBJ. 

i think you have less freedom to simulate obj-to-garments in Marvelous Designer.

You can adjust the fabric properties of a whole obj, but i guess the question is - how do you adjust just part of the obj?

I dont know if this works, but If you import your garment as Obj-to-garment and then choose to make a 2d pattern from it, you might be able to use the steam tool.  The steam tool can let you apply srink weft/shrink warp to particular areas. Shrink Weft/Shrink Warp can shrink the X/Y accordingly.

I dont think you can use steam tool on the 3d viewport, only the 2d viewport.

I understand that there are a lot of limitations with OBJ. I just need all the fabric to be tight and taut. I don't know. I will try to do more iterations for the simulation, perhaps this will make the fabric less flexible