Issue using G8.1M skins with G8.1F Models

ihavednaihavedna Posts: 17

Hey friends. I often used G8M .duf All Maps type files on G8F, but I am getting errors when trying to do the same action for G8.1M to G81.F. 

The 8.1F is selected when I try to use the All Maps .duf for Torment.

2021-02-27 23:07:50.708 Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and &quot;preset_hierarchical_material&quot; type; no root(s) found.<br /> 2021-02-27 23:07:50.708 Error reading file, see log for more details.

I tried to visit the same file in the explorer and load from outside of Daz, still no luck.

2021-02-27 22:38:33.597 Received file to open: D:\Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\People\Genesis 8 Male\Characters\Torment 8.1\Materials\Iray\Torment 8.1 All Maps.duf<br /> 2021-02-27 22:38:34.271 Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and &quot;preset_hierarchical_material&quot; type; no root(s) found.<br /> 2021-02-27 22:38:34.272 Error reading file, see log for more details.

I tried loading just the face skin and that seemed to work, but tear duct files did not seem to work.

I also tried the skins for Leonard, similar/same problems. I got "Veins Overlay Demon Pale" H. Materials to work, but "Leonard All Maps" of various types created the same error.

Any ideas, y'all?

Anyone experiencing similar errors (Or aren't?)

Appreciate the assist.

Post edited by ihavedna on

Comments

• Have you tried loading both a male and female in the scene and simply copy pasting the materials over in the surfaces tab?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

Judging from the error message the materials you're trying to use are hierarchical materials (ie meant to be used on a figure and parented sub-items). Those typically only work on the figure they were made for, the workaround is to save regular material presets for each item and use that.

• I'd be down to try both of those methods - do either of you know of good guidance to do either of those things effectively? I'm still relatively new. 

I guess a follow up question is, why this changed behavior for 8.1? Why are these similarly named .duf files for 8.1 different than the 8.0 when switching between male and female?

These files do work when I use them with a generic 8.1M so, I feel like I'm missing something

• Step by step:

open a G81M and a G81F. Apply your "All Maps" preset to the male.

Then select both male and female in the scene tab. 
    Now head over to the Surfaces tab. Select the G81M right click it, "Copy all surfaces"

Then select G81F and right click, "Paste to surfaces". 
    Repeat that for the eyelashes and the tear. 

Then back in the scene tab, select G81F and -as Leana mentioned- go to

File - Save As - Material Preset

Save it in the same location as your All Maps, but call it All Maps Female

The why it does that is a-whole-nother discussion. 

• That was super helpful Hausfrau, I'll try that. Thank you for the assist <3 

• Oh... and you can call me Mom ^_^