Issue with CMS database after reinstall

2»

Comments

• I'm starting to think it has to do with the C;Windows\users\{Me}\AppData\Roaming files. 

Ironically those are the files I didn't touch when I did the reinstall of everything through DIM.

I don't know what gets written to those files on install, but I have to wonder if something got corrupted between the old install and the new one.

If uninstalling Daz Studio and reinstalling (assuming uninstalling wipes the AppData folder) I can live with re-setting up my menus and stuff.

What I really want to avoid is re-downloaing 2 TB of data again through DIM. 

• Ah, that is also the location of the database so it will still cotnain the old settimgs - but it should also have been updated by the reinstall through DIM, and by reimporting metadata. Do you have the content type tags at top-right of the individiual file icons - Actor, Wardrobe, Materials and so on?

What I meant when I asked for teh full sequence of folders was not the top-level containers but rather than sequence from Daz Studio Formats and on down to the folder with the file you are trying to load.

• edited February 2021

Yes, I have the content tags

If I understand your question on containers, its the standard. So Daz Studio>People>Genesis8Male, etc.

Is that what you're after?

It seems those folders "look" OK, but ask to go through Connect. 

I use the Content tab 95% of the time so after I reinstalled I glanced at that ad it looked good. It wasn't until I tried to load a character to work on that I discovered the issue.

EDIT: So not anyhting other than the standard install locations. No custom categories or the like.

Post edited by Umi no Senshi no Ishi on
  • Richard, thank you very much for your help. If there is a way for me to buy you a pint or three, let me know.

Same for you @Northof45.

2 Questions please, since I think something went wrong on my reinstall: (And I can't think of anything else to try)

If I use DIM to uninstall studio - then reinstall, will that delete my Content Library? I'm guessing no since Studio asks for a path in the Content management system.

But I want ot be sure. Reinstalling content would be a b!#$h.

If that is no, will the uninstall overwrite the Windows\Appdata\roaming etc folders?

Or should I remove them manually. I know Windows sticks other things in there, but fortunately I only use this PC for Daz, so I can't think of anything else that would be irrevocably wrecked.

I'm starting to think that this is where the problem is. I actually want it to overwrite and do a fresh install. I don't have much in the way of custimization, I do default everything then use purchased scripts on my menu bar for the most part. Anything lost in my Studio customization could be easily redone.

And a bonus question, would I just uninstall/reinstall the Daz.4.15 in DIM or all the associated (Scene Builder, Default Resources, etc.) files aas well?

• Uninstalling and reinstalling DS should do nothing to settings or content. It won't touch the database either, however. If you have the ol Dynamic Clothing Control plug-in that would need reisntalling after DS was installed.

The database is, by default, in %AppData%/daz 3d/cms/ContentCluster/ - but resetting the database should do the same as deleting, with less risk. Unless the database is corrupt, however, I'm not sure it will help - your symptoms don't match any of the occasional "usual suspects".

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

I notice now that in your Content Directory Manager, you have two library folders defined for DAZ Studio and Poser Formats, but everything is installed to one of them. Try removing the unused folder locations to see if that helps.

Also, from the DIM side (I can help with that) check to see if and where all files from one of the problem products are installed. In DIM, right-click on a Product in the Installed tab and select "Show Installed Files..." The top will show the drive and folder (i.e., the Library) and then the relative path for each item in the product as blue hyperlinks. Anything not found will be black italic text.

• Thank you Richard. Sounds like like "turn it off and turn it on" by reinstalling is a long shot.

Thank you @Northof45. One of the items I checked it was all the /runtime/textures folders. Everything else was fine.

I did a random sort of DIM for "hair" and started picking items at random and that seems consistent. Damn.

I bought some things yesterday and checked them and they were good.

That means most likely it was the product installs. I took so long I'd get booted out of the Daz server sometimes, I'd restart then start up again.

DIM Probably didn't finish an install and moved on.

Oh this will be a nightmare to do that all again.

Thank you both.

Is there a way to either batch reload? Or within studio is there a way to batch load.

Or narrow it down, like search for all the greyed out icons?

I don't want Connect to set up another content database. 

I'm open to suggestions, at least I'm working form home and can monitor it. It took six days for DIM to do a fresh install, (14,000 products).

At least a partial install shouldn't be as bad, as long as it isn't search, click, load repeat.

• Again, thank you for your help, 

@Northof45, a question please on the Poser path. I just have always used the default, I didn't have a lot, mostly older stuff. So set up a Poser separate, makes sense. For (default) install, is it best to put that folder under the \public documents folder, or nestle it under My Daz Library folder?

I understand the CMS uses relative paths, I'm just trying to create the folder structure in a way that I don't have to remember where things go. I prefer to let DIM and such do all the work. (Though I'm envious of those with detailed custom set ups, I don't trust myself to keep that straight).

So: D:\users\public\public docs\poser

or D:\users\public\public docs\my daz library\poser ?

Your input is greatly appreciated

• Sorry in advance, as you've been incredeably patient and helpful.

I'm trying to avoid blowing up my install and starting over so I'm grasping for straws.

I cannot believe my backup was corrupt. (Sorry, sour grapes and all)

Question1: Since it looks to me that Connect, when installing through Studio, installs all files, not just the missing ones, in a new directory as set up in the CMS, could I make the Connect path my \users\public\public documentss\My Daz 3d Library\ (my regular content library) path and so avoid having 2 sets of content? Will it just overwrite, not duplicate the existing files that are there?

Question1a: If I use Connect, and I get another set of content files, could I then just move/copy them over and "skip" the duplicate files? I'm thinking this would be a better way to track my progress and get everything.

Question2: Is there a way to use filters in DIM so I can track what has been reinstalled and what hasn't? For example:

Right now everything shows as installed.

If I use DIM to uninstall/reinstall, besides clicking by button after button, when I reinstall it comes back to the list as installed and how can I track my progress?

I see a filter in DIM for install date, not perfect but the more progress I make in reinstalling, the harder it will be to track. Is there a custom filter function in DIM. I looked under advanced settings and didn't see anything.

• Umi no Senshi no Ishi said:

Sorry in advance, as you've been incredeably patient and helpful.

I'm trying to avoid blowing up my install and starting over so I'm grasping for straws.

I cannot believe my backup was corrupt. (Sorry, sour grapes and all)

Question1: Since it looks to me that Connect, when installing through Studio, installs all files, not just the missing ones, in a new directory as set up in the CMS, could I make the Connect path my \users\public\public documentss\My Daz 3d Library\ (my regular content library) path and so avoid having 2 sets of content? Will it just overwrite, not duplicate the existing files that are there?

No, Connect creates a separate folder in the data folder for each product while DIM writes to the root folder, so there is no way to avoid duplication.

Question1a: If I use Connect, and I get another set of content files, could I then just move/copy them over and "skip" the duplicate files? I'm thinking this would be a better way to track my progress and get everything.

No, because until Connect "knows" that it has isntalled the files it won't show them at all, even if you place the files from the zip in the correct location. (If the fiels install but are unreadable, as sometimes happens, then they can be overwritten with the fiels from the zip - butt hat is an unusual situation.)

Question2: Is there a way to use filters in DIM so I can track what has been reinstalled and what hasn't? For example:

Right now everything shows as installed.

If I use DIM to uninstall/reinstall, besides clicking by button after button, when I reinstall it comes back to the list as installed and how can I track my progress?

I see a filter in DIM for install date, not perfect but the more progress I make in reinstalling, the harder it will be to track. Is there a custom filter function in DIM. I looked under advanced settings and didn't see anything.

The problem ther is that DIM doesn't know there are issues, if you want to track its installs. If you want o use it to see what hasn't yet been isntalled through Connect then there is a filter (in the default filters package) that can show Connect Installed items - if you have the filters then clicking the magnifying glass icon next to the text box at top-right will give access.

• Thank you Richard. One way or another looks like I'm doing a whole new install of content. 

On another note, is there a reason Connect would be a faster download?

I can't imagine why, but I was running some test installs to better understand where everything was going in my directories and it seemed much faster than DIM.

I love DIM, but with the huge number of files, saving time would be exponential.

• Connect reads files individually, DIM/Daz Central download the complete zip. Genione updates should be faster through Connect, I find it is usually a bit slower than DIM at downloading but that's not carefully timed.

• Thank you Richard very much for all your help. 

I tried some downloads from DIM but I'm finding that it won't "hold" my filter after I reinstall a product. (I sorted by install date, oldest first, in DIM to do the installs but after I reinstall, the sort goes all out of whack unless I close and reopen DIM). So I can't track what needs reinstall except to click package by package in DIM. Not bas now, but come item 2,000 or so it will be a real hassle.

I'm at a loss short of formatting my content drive and starting over.

Before you do anything drastic, you must decide if you want to use DIM or Connect. I use DIM exclusively, and have never had a problem (disconnects aside). As I have said, I do not use Connect, but from what I have read, it can be problematic. Your experience might be different. I suggest you find some threads discussing the pros and cons of each. One thing I can recommend, and it has been said in many places, do not mix the two.

• Thank you @northof45, I agree, I'm a fan of DIM.

I've never used Connect except for a brief time when some things were connect only.

I'm thinking that rather than format the drive, I'd rename my manifest folder (so I don't lose it) create a "new" blank manifest folder to point DIM at then use DIM to download again.

I'm going to try a trial of a few and see if it causes problems before I set it to do everything.

Haven't decided if I'm going to install the zips and delete or keep them in case this goes bad again.

Leaning towards keeping them. I've got a NAS with enough storage and the new HDD has the room for now.

Wish I could come up with an easier way, since it's only some of the files, but I can't come up wiht a consistent way to keep track of what has everyhting and what is missing files (besides your very helpful tip to check in DIM for missing files). Just too much content.

So, you did not keep the downloaded files. You mentioned that in DIM you checked the installed files in DIM for a few products and that "it was all the /runtime/textures folders". Do you mean these files were missing? Before you download them all again, check in a File Explorer (outside of DIM and Studio) if the apparently missing files are really missing from the library folder (D:/Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library). The runtime/textures folder should be under that folder, i.e., 

D:/Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/runtime/textures

at the same level as Animals, Figures, People, etc. Is there another folder somewhere called runtime/textures? You can have more than one mapped folder, but the order can be important. They are searched in the order listed in Content DIrectory Manager when looking for resources. When you install with DIM, a manifest (.dsx) is created in the Manifest folder (defined in DIM) with the original installation destination and a list of all installed files, at that time. That is what DIM uses when you Show Installed Files. You can check a few to see if they did in fact get installed where you think.

You have another library folder defined in Studio for DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats that might be interfering (D:/Users/capem/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library). Is there anything in there? Remove that folder from Content Directory Manager to see if that makes any difference.

If everything installed properly with DIM, the files must be in there somewhere. If an installation fails, DIM will keep that item in the Ready to Install tab with an error message on the button. The only reason I can think that only the runtime/textures folder is affected is that it was renamed, moved or deleted.

• Thank you @northof45

I didn't keep them, stupid of me. I've been telling myself to download them to have them, Not like my NAS can't handle the storage, but I have always used default - delete after install (unchecked for sure now)

I use the Daz3d\studio\MY Library for stuff like presets I create, scene subsets, Riversoft Art conversions. Things I don't want to accidently mess with my "Regular" content directory. It's empty at the moment.

I started the reinstall so it's too late to double check the runtime/textures folder for certain, but judging by the relative sparsity you would expect, it seems they weren't loaded, or more likely I did something worng that disrupted a proper download. 

I did a "set it and forget it" (why I like DIM using defaults),

I'd get "download failed" or it would time out or I'd get a "failed connection to Daz server" error (usually when I left it to run over night (Comcast is gonna have a fit at the data amounts) at regular intervals

I'd close DIM, reboot, start again.

Now I'm doing the downloads in chunks of about 100 at a time so I can monitor (yeah work from home).

It'll take longer, but I can catch problems and bonus not load tutorials and unneeded old poser stuff.