Simulating "Loose" (unfitted) clothing in DFORCE

mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 330

Sup everyone :)

I'm trying to simulate loose pieces of clothing - I mean not fitted to a character. That's what I'm currently doing:

1) Load the clothing into the scene separately, not fitted to any character

2) Apply dforce simulation parameters to the clothing's surface(s)

3) Hit simulate. This is where I can't understand something. The clothing, instead of gradually fall to the ground, it's "pinned" in the air at the center of it's "Hip" bone and weaves in the air like a flag. I tried converting the clothing to a prop, but upon hitting simulate, dfoce creates billions of springs which takes forever, and upon simulation dforce either explodes, or the clothing simply looks bugged out. I'm 100% sure the problem is related to the clothing being a figure, and having some sort of "lock" on the "hip" bone.

Could someone help me with this?

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on

Comments

• Ok, so an update. Using Joint editor, I deleted all the bones, and the problem still persists. I checked the weight maps - filled all of them with 100%. The clothing still gets pinned in the air.

• On the second issue first - is the item SubD, with a higher than 1 level of viewport divisions in the Mesh resolution group in Parameters? If so switch it to Base resolution before converting to a prop - I think that as it is it is baking the SubD, which makes thee dges shorter than the dForce dynamic offset value (hence all the warning messages, and the conflict between rest length and minimum length keeps pumping energy into the simulation and causes the explsoion).

As for the initial issue, many dForce items are not wholly dynamic - they either have surfaces with Dynamic Strength set to 0 or there's a weight map limiting dynamic strength within a surface group. Both can be worked around, but if you don't want to pose (or morph) the basic clothing beyond th simulation theh coinverting to a prop may be the simplest and most efficient approach.

• Thanks Richard for the answer :) . The solution was way simplier than I expected. I simply removed the Dforce modifier altogether from the clothing, and re-applied it. Worked like a charm :D

• Yes, that will zero any settings that might be causing issues - though at the expense of removing any adjustments made to make the item drape like a specific fabric.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, that will zero any settings that might be causing issues - though at the expense of removing any adjustments made to make the item drape like a specific fabric.

The problem seemed in one of the surfaces. It's interesting though - i checked the dforce surface settings, and checked the weight mapping. It all was correct, yet it wasn't working. Removing and re-applying dforce worked. Why would that be? Are there some other, hidden dforce parameters somewhere?

• Only at the item level in the Parameters pane and few of them, as far as I know.