Earlier Versions of Daz Studio - can we get them?

Rufus CoppertopRufus Coppertop Posts: 171

I would very much like to have kill Daz 4.15 and reinstall 4.11.

Is this possible?

According to this discussion - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/438732/morphs-are-not-saving-in-4-12 .................. 4.11 will probably be the answer to a problem that's been driving me crazy and which so far seems to have no reliable solution.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• I don't think there is a solution here, older versions are not being made available by Daz3d as far as I can tell, and grabbing binaries from other sources could pose risks in itself, think about malware and such.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

This is why it's a good idea to back up a copy of the current version since DAZ doesn't offer d/ls of older versions.

• The current version is a bug-addled travesty when it comes to saving customized characters.

How would I install a copy of 4.11 if someone had a copy?

• FSMCDesigns said:

This is why it's a good idea to back up a copy of the current version since DAZ doesn't offer d/ls of older versions.

How do you backup your current version of DS?

• Philippi_Child said:

FSMCDesigns said:

I've got my whole disc backed up with macrium.

I've never backed up DS specifically and hence don't have 4.11 available to reinstall.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151

Philippi_Child said:

FSMCDesigns said:

It's simple if you install using DIM (or manually download from your Product Library at the store website) - just keep a backup copy of the installer files as soon as you have downloaded them.

I use DIM, so in my case I copy the .zip and related .dsx files for Daz Studio and any add-ons that are version-sensitive. I can tell which ones they are because they appear as updates in DIM at the same time - four I know about are Decimator, Dynamic Clothing Control (Optitex system), GoZ bridge and Photoshop bridge.

I have a backup drive (actually more than one because I'm paranoid) and I create folders there named by version number (e.g. X:/Backup/DAZ Studio/Ver4.12.0.85/). To revert to that specific version, just copy the files (.zip and .dsx) back from the backup into the DIM Downloads folder (overwriting the latest version) and reinstall using DIM.

Of course you need to get into the habit of doing this in advance of experiencing problems with the latest version.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

File a help ticket and ask nicely if marketing will let you have an older version

• MelanieL said:

Philippi_Child said:

FSMCDesigns said:

It's simple if you install using DIM (or manually download from your Product Library at the store website) - just keep a backup copy of the installer files as soon as you have downloaded them.

I use DIM, so in my case I copy the .zip and related .dsx files for Daz Studio and any add-ons that are version-sensitive. I can tell which ones they are because they appear as updates in DIM at the same time - four I know about are Decimator, Dynamic Clothing Control (Optitex system), GoZ bridge and Photoshop bridge.

I have a backup drive (actually more than one because I'm paranoid) and I create folders there named by version number (e.g. X:/Backup/DAZ Studio/Ver4.12.0.85/). To revert to that specific version, just copy the files (.zip and .dsx) back from the backup into the DIM Downloads folder (overwriting the latest version) and reinstall using DIM.

Of course you need to get into the habit of doing this in advance of experiencing problems with the latest version.

Where does DIM give you an option to copy .zip files of Daz Studio versions?

Is it something really simple like unchecking the box that says "install after download"?

• Chohole said:

File a help ticket and ask nicely if marketing will let you have an older version

I've asked tech support - but they won't get back to me for 4 - 6 weeks according to the automated reply.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151

Rufus Coppertop said:

MelanieL said:

Philippi_Child said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Where does DIM give you an option to copy .zip files of Daz Studio versions?

Is it something really simple like unchecking the box that says "install after download"?

That's probably a good idea if you want control - for one thing it avoids accidental downloading and installing of the newest version of DS. But just as important: do not check the box to delete after install until you have had chance to copy offline.

I have everything unchecked - I need to be able to control (a) how many files are downloaded at a time (I'm on restricted broadband allowance); (b) when they are installed (I download to my laptop but install on an offline PC); (c) when the files are deleted (I back up everything to an external drive before deleting manually to clear space).

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,482

Just use the manual download option on your "Product Library" here at the site in "My Account". Those you can place in DIM download folder if the need ever arises.

• How come no one ever mentiones you can download previous versions of Daz from your DIM. Ask Richard about it. He helped me figure it out when I had to downgrade after losing my computer and got my hands on an older one.

Any Daz you previous owned and registered is in your DIM

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I did file a ticket and ask for old dazstudio and customer support said no

•  Change the title of this thread to Attention Richard Hastletine and ask him how to use DIM to download an older Daz.

• MelanieL said:

That's probably a good idea if you want control - for one thing it avoids accidental downloading and installing of the newest version of DS. But just as important: do not check the box to delete after install until you have had chance to copy offline.

I have everything unchecked - I need to be able to control (a) how many files are downloaded at a time (I'm on restricted broadband allowance); (b) when they are installed (I download to my laptop but install on an offline PC); (c) when the files are deleted (I back up everything to an external drive before deleting manually to clear space).

I'm taking a screen snip of this info. Thank you.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You cannot download old versions with DIM as only latest stable(?) and beta versions are available it.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Change the title of this thread to Attention Richard Hastletine and ask him how to use DIM to download an older Daz.

Are you sure? I have told people how to get DIM to install an older version (work offline so it doesn't see the update) but that doesn't actually get you the older version.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,296
    edited February 2021

Richard....I had to download to a previous version because of computer problems and you told me how to do it through DIM, I just can't remember how. All I remember is I had to open a different tab, had to check something and type in a search.

I think it works under the same principle that if you bought it it's in DIM, in this case if you registered it it's also in DIM. I downloaded all my previous versions at that time, starting with 2.0 both 32 bit and 64 versions that were available. Apparently I didn't register all the versions I had over time, which annoyed me.

This was about 2 years ago.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845
    edited February 2021

Do you mean versions or builds?

I certainly can download D|S2 and D|S3 the last build of each, manually at least, marked inactive but downloadable.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Oh I know about the manual downloads for those one's. All versions that start with 4. and up from there, if I tried to manually download I would only get the latest version, such as right now it will only give me 4.15 for manual download, if I want 4.10 I would have to use DIM. I wish I could remember exactly how I did that, only that it was Richard that told me how.

Think I might have to download DIM again and see if I can remember what needed to be done for this. I don't use DIM unless an item can't be downloaded any other way. I don't keep it on the computer if I'm not using it.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

I have a saved installer for an old version of DAZ Studio on the computer I'm using to post this comment. I want to install it on other computers, so I'll have more than one copy installed. I may be mistaken about the file extension of the installer, but I believe it is .exe. Is it possible to move the installer to another computer and install from it onto the other computer?

My reasoning behind this is that neither of my computers can handle the more advanced tools offered by later versions; thus those tools would just be taking up disc space that can be used for other things. The old version is a smaller file size than that of the newer ones.

• kirbawirbakirbawirba Posts: 121

Faeryl Womyn said:

Richard....I had to download to a previous version because of computer problems and you told me how to do it through DIM, I just can't remember how. All I remember is I had to open a different tab, had to check something and type in a search.

I think it works under the same principle that if you bought it it's in DIM, in this case if you registered it it's also in DIM. I downloaded all my previous versions at that time, starting with 2.0 both 32 bit and 64 versions that were available. Apparently I didn't register all the versions I had over time, which annoyed me.

This was about 2 years ago.

I ended up checking out the manifest files and found a dsx file for 4.21 public build.  Is that what you did?  I'd love to find out, because I'm gonna need the last stable version if I wanna upgrade soon. I'd also love to go back to 4.16 or install that version alongside the beta 4.21 I have and the 4.22 public I stupidly upgraded to.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,935

To instal an older version for which you kept the isntallers you need to place those in DIM's Downloads folder, remove the later files, and start DIM in Work Offline mode.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

Richard Haseltine said:

To instal an older version for which you kept the isntallers you need to place those in DIM's Downloads folder, remove the later files, and start DIM in Work Offline mode.

I can't use the .exe? Your description here is a bit vague to me. Now I could download the DIM to the other computer, but then I'd not have any of the older versions of DAZ Studio to install. The DIM always wants me to install the latest version. What I'd need to know is how to get the older version into my copy of the DIM. The version I use now was installed using the DIM, but I had downloaded an earlier version of 4.10 when it was the newest version. That download is the .exe installer. Is it possible to move it to the other computer, and bypass having to use the DIM to install it? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Yes, you can install the older version on the other computer and run DIM. You just won't update it. You can either go into the downloads tab and turn off Daz Studio which will remove Daz Studio from your "Ready to Download" tab or you can just right-click on the Daz Studio installer on the same tab and select "Hide Packages".

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,935

To use DIM you need to have the files for theb older version in the DIM Downloads folder and be working offline - if you are online it will show the update. Yes, you can use a stand-alone installer but mixing isntallation methods can easily cause issues.