Computer crashing when Rendering

Hellot I am at the end of my rope here. So Daz has been working fine for me for years, I have not installed anything new in weeks and my newsiest piece of hardware is two months old and my oldest is only a couple of years. And I have been rendering every day with no problems.
So today I was working on a set of renders and things were going fine. Then when I loaded up my next render and started rendering it my computer crashes. Assuming that maybe I had just overheated my computer, I let it set for an hour with a fan on it to help it cool. Turned it on and everything started up fine. Loaded the scene again and it instantly crashed. Booted my computer again and ran several high performance games to see if maybe it was a hardware problem. No issues.
I have updated all my drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled Daz in case it was corrupted. Then loaded a single Gen 8 character and the computer instantly crashed when I tried to render it.
To be clear, this is not a blue screen, or freeze. This is a screens go black and the computer shuts down and full on bricks. I have tried running a bunch of other programs and nothing seems to be causing this. It only happens when I try to render something with Daz.
I can say for certain it not a heat problem, doesn't even get past 60C when it crashes.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• petes imagespetes images Posts: 213
    edited February 2021

Had the same problem, after the process of elimination found it to be a couple of corrupt figures, only came to fore with new upgrade. Deleted them with a view to re-doing them. works fine now

Post edited by petes images on
  • Does it crash even with a simple primitive (Create>New Primitive)?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited February 2021

While you have not changed anything, if you are using W10, you are not the only one changing thing in your computer. What are your system specs, OS, RAM (how much), GPU, GPU driver version, DS version?

There are several threads about testing systems with "heavy" games, which prove that those games do not stress the system the same way DS does, not even some stress testing programs are able to put the system under same stress.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your PSU is failing.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • Firstly, Sorry for the black text, don't know why it did that.

But at the end of the day I bought a new mother board and that seems to have solved the problem so it would seem it was a hardware issue on my end.

• I've had it blank out my screen AND, disconnect my internet when rendering.

• I just upgraded to an RTX 3090 and suddenly nothing is rendering.  Building the scene (moving and posing characters and other assets) is incredible fast but when I try to render, my entire computer freezes.  I don't have anything else running.  I have the view in texture display.  I don't have an alternate display showing.  I tried loading some of my earlier scenes.  Some load while others freeze.  But no matter what I do the system freezes when I try to render. 

All other programs work fine.  That's great, but I bought the new 3090 to do faster renders.  I don't want to have to load in my old 1080 if it's a gpu issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 said:

I just upgraded to an RTX 3090 and suddenly nothing is rendering.  Building the scene (moving and posing characters and other assets) is incredible fast but when I try to render, my entire computer freezes.  I don't have anything else running.  I have the view in texture display.  I don't have an alternate display showing.  I tried loading some of my earlier scenes.  Some load while others freeze.  But no matter what I do the system freezes when I try to render. 

All other programs work fine.  That's great, but I bought the new 3090 to do faster renders.  I don't want to have to load in my old 1080 if it's a gpu issue.

Which driver version are you using? Have you tried an older/newer version?

• Richard Haseltine said:

karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 said:

I just upgraded to an RTX 3090 and suddenly nothing is rendering.  Building the scene (moving and posing characters and other assets) is incredible fast but when I try to render, my entire computer freezes.  I don't have anything else running.  I have the view in texture display.  I don't have an alternate display showing.  I tried loading some of my earlier scenes.  Some load while others freeze.  But no matter what I do the system freezes when I try to render. 

Which driver version are you using? Have you tried an older/newer version?

I have the latest of both.  I think I'm going to try downloading and installing the older versions.  I also downloaded the "studio" version.  I'm wondering if the "game play" version will work.

I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for the response.

• I can't believe it!  I got it up and running.  Fingers crossed.

I switched from "Studio" drivers to "Game" drivers for the RTX 3090 and it seemed to help but would still crash.  Then I realized that the computer I have is about 2 years old.  I checked the bios and it had a build from 2017.  I've updated the bios and things seem to be working so far.  Things render wicked fast.

Occasionally I'll still end up with a "black" image when rendering, but I found that if I throw a plane in and give it some surface light everything else in the scene comes back on.

Thanks guys for the quick responses.  If I hadn't thought about updating my drivers I never would have thought about updating the bios.