SOLVED: How do I get DAZ to recognize 3rd party content

Hi,

This is my first post on the forums. I'm new to DAZ in general, though I come from 3D background

So I have several products I brought from places other than the DAZ shop, that I have on a separate HD -as I've limited space on the drive where DAZ is installed.

After adding a "Base folder" in the content library, I can see my other stuff from within DAZ Studio. The problem is, whenever I try using any of it, I only get the geometry, and an error message letting me know that it can't find the necessry files -textures and other supporting files to my models.

3rd party products are installed in the right locations, and if I follow the path to the files it can't find, I see that it's looking on my for them on my C drive, instead of the other HD where they are installed.

Can anyone let me know how to make DAZ look for the files where it needs to? I tried resetting my library through Content Maintenance, but that didn't help.

EDIT: Problem fixed. There was an extra folder in the path. Thank you to everyone that tried to help out

Post edited by ahmad_4747a850 on

Comments

• It probably isn't in the correct place, or it may be a badly set-up zip. Please post screen shots showing the content directory set up and where the files and folders for the product are within that

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

At a guess, there's an extra folder somewhere in the path.

• Richard Haseltine said:

It probably isn't in the correct place, or it may be a badly set-up zip. Please post screen shots showing the content directory set up and where the files and folders for the product are within that

Thank you for answering. I'm not talking a single product or file. I have more than 20 products. Anything within the base directory I added to daz falls in this category. When I copy the files to the C drive it loads them normally.

I used to have them all working on the the C drive before, but I can't afford that any more. That's why I setup a separate external drive for them

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

Which directories are registered as DS / Poser content directories in preferences, and where exactly are those products on your drive? I mean the full path to a product which gave you an error.

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141

Whatever you have ste your folder structure to, it need to be reflected in DS settings, so the program can find the content.

Recommenadble tools to install 3rd party content would be Content Package Assist, which even makes content apear in smart content (although you stll need to categorize manually) or Content Wizard

DAZ_Lib.jpg
    896 x 516 - 65K
  • So what are the paths to an example file, and what are the content directories - both the working and the non-working locations?

• Leana said:

At a guess, there's an extra folder somewhere in the path.

Thanks for your concern.

Actually when the files are in

C:\Users\......\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data, they are loaded normally.

But when I load them from the external HD It doesn't see them.

The only difference I see in both paths is that daz goes for "My Library/data" while on the external HD it'd be "Content/data".

I changed it to My Library and it still didn't work

• ahmad_4747a850ahmad_4747a850 Posts: 4
    edited February 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

So what are the paths to an example file, and what are the content directories - both the working and the non-working locations?

That would be something like "G:\Data\DAZ\Studio\My Library\people\Epsom Downs" (NOT WORKING)

and "C:\Users\...\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\Aeon Soul\EveryDay2Male\Pants" (WORKING)

I'm attaching 3 images to show the case.

MissingFiles.jpg
    642 x 655 - 114K
    Structure1.jpg
    417 x 489 - 28K
    Structure2.jpg
    375 x 915 - 55K
    Post edited by ahmad_4747a850 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    edited February 2021

ahmad_4747a850 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

So what are the paths to an example file, and what are the content directories - both the working and the non-working locations?

That would be something like "G:\Data\DAZ\Studio\My Library\people\Epsom Downs"

It looks like you have specified "Studio" as the base directory when the right base directory should in your case be "My Library"

Now DS is looking for "Studio\Data" and "Studio\Runtime", which do not exist.

Anyways your path is unnecessarily long to start with, you could just make a folder "G:\Content" or "G:\My Library", under which the Data, Runtime, People, Props etc. would reside.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

ahmad_4747a850 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That would be something like "G:\Data\DAZ\Studio\My Library\people\Epsom Downs"

It looks like you have specified "Studio" as the base directory when the right base directory should in your case be "My Library"

Now DS is looking for "Studio\Data" and "Studio\Runtime", which do not exist.

Anyways your path is unnecessarily long to start with, you could just make a folder "G:\Content" or "G:\My Library", under which the Data, Runtime, People, Props etc. would reside.

Thank you, that was the right answer. Appreciate your help so much