How to keep DAZ from installing files in Connect location?

Hi, 

I have >350GB of data in My Daz Connect Library. I feel like some (or most) of this is duplicates of items in my DAZ 3D Library, but I have no way to know, given how absurd the file organization is.

I'm currently reinstalling my library, and don't want this to happen again. How do I accomplish this? Where is the tickbox that says "do not install in Daz Connect"?

Thank you,

Erik

Comments

• Don't install - if the products are not showing as installed after using DIM/Daz central then there is an issue with the Content Management System - DS will not install, or even connect to Daz, without being told to (e.g. by double-clicking an "uninstalled" product and, assuming you work offline by default, accepting the connection dialogues with email and password entered.

• ainukeainuke Posts: 79

Richard Haseltine said:

Don't install - if the products are not showing as installed after using DIM/Daz central then there is an issue with the Content Management System - DS will not install, or even connect to Daz, without being told to (e.g. by double-clicking an "uninstalled" product and, assuming you work offline by default, accepting the connection dialogues with email and password entered.

Thank you for the response.

So, where do I not "install?" Do you mean in the smart content pane where there are tabs for "available, installed, pending," (by right-clicking an item)? Sorry if I'm being dense... there's too many ways to install content, and I'm trying to reduce the complexity.
    Are you saying that if I only install through DIM, I can leave DS in offline mode (not click on the "login" blue box at the top right of the content pane) and still have access to all my library? It didn't seem like this was possible...

Thank you

Erik 

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749
    edited February 2021

ainuke said:

Sorry if I'm being dense... there's too many ways to install content, and I'm trying to reduce the complexity.

Yeah, I can easily imagine that to happen.

But yes, Daz Connect is basically "another" method to install your products but it basically co-exists besides DIM. So you can indeed install the same product using both methods. Keep in mind that there are a select amount of items which can only be installed and/or used through Daz Connect, but those are very sparse. Pretty much everything can be installed using DIM.

And after you installed something you do not have to login to be able to use your stuff. In fact (small sidestep): I think that's also the main reason why Daz Connect never really took off (= my personal impresson), there was a lot of criticism against the possible requirement to be online in order to use your stuff. Most people (myself included) don't want that.

Of course there are advantages here. Connect can sometimes fill in the "blanks" when it comes to the metadata which is used with the smart contents pane.

Are you saying that if I only install through DIM, I can leave DS in offline mode (not click on the "login" blue box at the top right of the content pane) and still have access to all my library?

Exactly.

Going online is not a requirement.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

There are no products that can only be installed with Connect.  There have been glitched store data that claimed a product had only Connect installer but in truth it had no available installers at all ergo a glitch.  Furthermore there are some products that will not work right if installed with Connect.

• if you install something with DIM or Daz central and when you double-click the product DS wants to download it (and the thumbnail is grey) then it's an issue with the Content Management System. Even if you are working on line DS shouldn't install things that were installed through DIM/Daz Central unless explicitly told to. Is that what is happening - things that have been installed outside DS do not acknowledge that inside DS?

• jestmart said:

There are no products that can only be installed with Connect. 

Yes there are.

"220 emotions for Genesis"; shows up in your products overview but only contains the option to install through Connect, doesn't have any actual poses. Yes, the product pages mentions "DIM", and it also shows up in DIM for download. But once you download it nothing will show up in your products catagory. Go online and all of a sudden the product pops up, but only containing the option to download through Connect.

"Fairytale Bassinette"; this was actually given away as a Connect exclusive. Yes, the product page lists "DIM", but that also applies to the 220 emotions and that one is definitely not usable when you install it using only DIM.

And I'm positive that there are more examples, though not too many because Connect never really took off.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

ShelLuser said:

jestmart said:

Yes there are.

"220 emotions for Genesis"; shows up in your products overview but only contains the option to install through Connect, doesn't have any actual poses. Yes, the product pages mentions "DIM", and it also shows up in DIM for download. But once you download it nothing will show up in your products catagory. Go online and all of a sudden the product pops up, but only containing the option to download through Connect.

"Fairytale Bassinette"; this was actually given away as a Connect exclusive. Yes, the product page lists "DIM", but that also applies to the 220 emotions and that one is definitely not usable when you install it using only DIM.

And I'm positive that there are more examples, though not too many because Connect never really took off.

Items not showing up in Products Category is not a proof of them not being installed and available for use. Products Category is database driven and just like with "smart" content, it all depends on the metadata. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,322

ShelLuser said:

jestmart said:

Yes there are.

Sorry to disagree, but I have never used Connect, always DIM, and I have both those products installed and working.

Fairytale Bassinette has metadata and I can easily find it through Smart Content under Props. 

220 Emotions for Genesis has (as it's product page shows) no user-facing files, hence no Smart Content or access through Contnt Library. However if you click on the Genesis figure's head node and go to Pose Controls - Expressions there they all are

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

"Fairytale Bassinette"; this was actually given away as a Connect exclusive.

That product was released years before Connect was even invented. So no, it was never a Connect exclusive.

• On the emotions, I suspect they add sliders so there are no user-facing files; perhaps soemthing was added to the Connect version to enable them. If that's not the case it should be reproted to Daz as a possible bug.

• MelanieL said:

220 Emotions for Genesis has (as it's product page shows) no user-facing files, hence no Smart Content or access through Contnt Library. However if you click on the Genesis figure's head node and go to Pose Controls - Expressions there they all are

Well, this is exactly why I commented as I did above because unless I click the Connect install icon I do not get to see those emotes, despite having them installed through DIM (which is working normally; I installed quite a few products over the past few weeks). Still, considering that this is apparently working normally for several others... I guess I shall check the integrity of the database, can't think of anything else which could cause this behavior.

Thanks for your comment!

• ainukeainuke Posts: 79

Thank you all for your comments; this has been enormously helpful in my understanding of how to get the most from my database.

Part of my issue has stemmed from the foolish thought that relocating my library to a share on my home server  would be a good idea. Pro tip: it isn't. Going from a local SSD to a network share on HDD sucks all the life out of an already lethargic DAZ experience. In the process of migration, my misunderstanding about the need to be logged in to my account while using DAZ (in my defense, I use other apps that require session authentication online) led to DAZ showing many items that required "updates." In retrospect, this appears to have been updates to Connect items, as DIM wasn't showing any desire to do so. I've decided to nuke my db and start fresh (after re-relocating my Library back to local SSDs), which doesn't require a lot of work to redo my custom categories. In the future, if I decide to use my server as a queued render station, I'll just set up my SSDs as a share that that can pull from, rather than vice versa... if I ever decide I even want to do that much...

Anyway, thanks to all!

Erik