Smart Content doesn't display everything

I've been using Daz for years now, and one thing I've never understood, and I'm just now seeking help with, is why my Smart Content doesn't show everything.

For example, if I go to Poses inside Smart Content, I only see a finite number of items. If I want to see more, I have to change the sort order so it will show me another block of content, but then again, it only sorts so many up to a finite number. How do I change this limit so I can see everything within a certain category (or if I select All).

While I'm on the topic of organization, I've also noticed that if "Filter by Content" is selected, it doesn't show me everything that is associated with that model. Does that fall upon the content creator not correctly tagging the Smart Content?

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,382

So, I nervously dive into this....

When you install via Daz Central/DIM/DazConnect,  a zipped folder or folders are downloaded to the installer program, unzipped, installed to the locations you tell it to, and a set of files are placed in specific places: a manifest file is placed in a folder called Manifest which tells the installler (DazConnect, DIM or DAZ Central) that you have installed a copy, and a set of files are placed in the Content Folder>Runtime>Support Folder which include the png/jpg, some html, and links to the product which are all used by Smart Content.  Ideally, a content creator has created the proper metadata (i.e.  this is a garment meant to be worn by Genesis 8 female on her feet... shoes)  so that when you select a G8F, you see the shoes in Wardrobe> Shoes for example.  In the platonic ideal, you could select a bunch of products such as high heels, right-click and categorize to make a new category such as High Heels which would show up along with character, poses, props, anatomy, wardrobe etc... all for G8F....  
    What can go wrong?  Well, there are people who install manually who break all this stuff sin ce they never install all the right files in the right places, also Creators can tag things improperly so that the right character isn't associated with the right file, and finally, the database can be corrupted (there are tools to fix it).  I thought I would show you the steps that a content creator goes through to create Smart Content so you can see why a left out step or typo can make things go astray: https://www.burningchr0me.net/ds-poser-forum/creating-metadata-for-daz-studio/  If you find you want to correct, metadata the steps are far simpler but I will wait to find out if you want to know more.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Are you talking about the number of product icons you can see per one page?

There is an arrow to move between pages and you can also increase the number of icons that are shown on one page.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749
    edited February 2021

airun said:

I've been using Daz for years now, and one thing I've never understood, and I'm just now seeking help with, is why my Smart Content doesn't show everything.

There could be multiple reasons for this. First, the obvious, many products don't provide the required metadata for smart contents. Even products which are fairly new (or being actively advertised). Take for example the staff picked Year of the ox bundle, A very impressive bundle IMO, one of the things it includes is Fireworks. Yah, but don't expect those fireworks props to show up in your smart content pane because they won't; the author didn't add the required metadata for it.

For those products you need to rely on the Content Library pane to get access, or add the required metadata yourself (which is a lot easier than it seems).

For example, if I go to Poses inside Smart Content, I only see a finite number of items. If I want to see more, I have to change the sort order so it will show me another block of content, but then again, it only sorts so many up to a finite number. How do I change this limit so I can see everything within a certain category (or if I select All).

Does this by any chance involve Genesis 8? Because there have been several posts about that already which hint that some associations get disrupted by a few specific products. When that happens the advice is to remove and re-install the base Genesis 8 figures (source: the allknowing Richard ;)).

(edit) See also this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/473101/genesis-8-male-characters-not-getting-recognized-as-male-in-smart-content

While I'm on the topic of organization, I've also noticed that if "Filter by Content" is selected, it doesn't show me everything that is associated with that model. Does that fall upon the content creator not correctly tagging the Smart Content?

Sometimes that can definitely happen, yups.

What I usually do in those cases is find the product (in the content library) and set things up myself.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • airunairun Posts: 25
    edited February 2021

PerttiA said:

There is an arrow to move between pages and you can also increase the number of icons that are shown on one page.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it, but that makes sense. Other than the scrollbar, it doesn't give an option for other pages, nor have a I found any other way to filter additional items per page. See the video example below. Perhaps it's an issue only in macOS?

Here's a demo video of the issue I uploaded to YouTube. You'll see that depending on the sort order, it will display a different quantity of items, but doesn't show the full amount of items.

Post edited by airun on

ShelLuser said:

Does this by any chance involve Genesis 8? Because there have been several posts about that already which hint that some associations get disrupted by a few specific products. When that happens the advice is to remove and re-install the base Genesis 8 figures (source: the allknowing Richard ;)).

I tested it out, and it appears to be effecting all content, whether it relies on a figure out not. It probably wouldn't hurt deleting and reinstalling the Genesis models like you suggest, however, I've had this issue on multiple machines and OS reformats/installs.

airun said:

PerttiA said:

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it, but that makes sense. Other than the scrollbar, it doesn't give an option for other pages, nor have a I found any other way to filter additional items per page. See the video example below. Perhaps it's an issue only in macOS?

Here's a demo video of the issue I uploaded to YouTube. You'll see that depending on the sort order, it will display a different quantity of items, but doesn't show the full amount of items.

I don't watch Youtube videos and the resolution is too poor to see anything.
    In the attached picture you can see what I'm talking about;

There are two arrows and in between you see a page number.
    To the right of them is a figure 1-792 of 792, meaning you are looking at pictures 1 to 792 out of total 792 (I have set one page to show 900 icons, so it all fit on 1 page)
    Further to the right, you see two icons and "+/-" on their left, the +/- can be used to increase and decrease the number of icons showed on 1 page

Content Library.JPG
    1925 x 90 - 27K

PerttiA said:

There are two arrows and in between you see a page number.

Correct, but they don't appear on Smart Content. I prefer the Smart Content pane vs the Content Library pane because it works better with my personal work flow. See below. Depending on how I have it sorted, it will show just a small portion nk of the total number of items within any category.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 12.21.55 PM.png
    1034 x 640 - 226K

That isn't the top of the list, anything else at the very beginning?

I see there is "1-851+" next to the seach box, does it give you any options if you click it with left or right mouse button?

One strange idea came to mind... If you do go to the Content Library and increase the number of icons shown per page, would it increase the number shown also in Smart Content...