Morph Loader Pro messes up Subdivision [RESOLVED]

I'm seeing something which I don't understand, and am hoping that I'm just doing something silly like forgeting an simple yet crucial step.

If I export a Basic G8 character at base res, move a single pixel, and load it back with Morph Loader Pro, this seems to change the way the subdivision works and the character no longer looks the same as it previously did, differing in subtle but unacceptable ways. From working with Diffeomorphic and Sagan, it looks suspiciously like the subd is operating on the subd 0 mesh, instead of the subd cage mesh as it should.

Has anyone run into this?

Post edited by TheMysteryIsThePoint on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,258
    edited February 2021

If you're trying to make a morph - remove the eyelashes {and any other geograft} before exporting.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

You also need to make sure that you don't have any morphs applied to the figure when you do the export, ie. zero the figure first just to make sure.

• Catherine3678ab said:

If you're trying to make a morph - remove the eyelashes {and any other geograft} before exporting.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did this. The morph will fail to apply if you forget to, right? The morph applies, but looks strange.

• PerttiA said:

You also need to make sure that you don't have any morphs applied to the figure when you do the export, ie. zero the figure first just to make sure.

Thanks for your response. After trying several things with my character, I tried to remove as many variables as I could by doing it with just a Basic Genesis 8 Female. I change one vertex ever so slightly, and suddenly the subd looks totally different. Does that satisfy your condition of a zeroed figure?

I'll try exactly what you suggest.

Thanks!

• Where does the subd come into the equation? Export out was base resolution, import in is to base resolution. There is no subD yet.

Is there any chance that the model was moved away from the default position in the modeler?

Also, "reverse deformations" in Morpher Loader. G3 and 8 tend to have some other morphs [navel and mouth] dialed in with them which of course nobody wants doubling up.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

PerttiA said:

Thanks for your response. After trying several things with my character, I tried to remove as many variables as I could by doing it with just a Basic Genesis 8 Female. I change one vertex ever so slightly, and suddenly the subd looks totally different. Does that satisfy your condition of a zeroed figure?

Thanks!

Loading the Base figure or even the developer version doesn't protect you from having badly distributed morphs automatically activated on the figure, that is why the zeroing of the figure may help with the issue.

It is not that uncommon to have unwanted effects when applying some morph, for example the navel is quite often effected even though the applied morph should only have changed the nose - This is caused by the creator exporting the figure with some navel morph applied.

Another thing is fixing those possible rogue morphs that have been distributed with a non-zero default value...
    To fix any ill-behaving morphs, do as follows;

1. Load your base figure or the developer version.
    2. Select "Show Hidden" in the Parameters-Tab, drop down menu (right-click) or Pane Options (Four horizontal lines) -> Preferences -> Show Hidden Properties
    3. Zero the figure (Found in Parameters-Tab, drop down menu) - This resets all the morphs to zero, irrespective their defaul value
    4. Memorize the figure (Found in Parameters-Tab, drop down menu) - This one makes the zero value a default value for all the morphs
    5. File->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets

This procedure will zero the default value in the ill-behaving morph/morphs, and while saving DS also shows you a list of the morphs it is changing.

• PerttiA said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

PerttiA said:

Thanks!

Loading the Base figure or even the developer version doesn't protect you from having badly distributed morphs automatically activated on the figure, that is why the zeroing of the figure may help with the issue.

It is not that uncommon to have unwanted effects when applying some morph, for example the navel is quite often effected even though the applied morph should only have changed the nose - This is caused by the creator exporting the figure with some navel morph applied.

Another thing is fixing those possible rogue morphs that have been distributed with a non-zero default value...
    To fix any ill-behaving morphs, do as follows;

1. Load your base figure or the developer version.
    2. Select "Show Hidden" in the Parameters-Tab, drop down menu (right-click) or Pane Options (Four horizontal lines) -> Preferences -> Show Hidden Properties
    3. Zero the figure (Found in Parameters-Tab, drop down menu) - This resets all the morphs to zero, irrespective their defaul value
    4. Memorize the figure (Found in Parameters-Tab, drop down menu) - This one makes the zero value a default value for all the morphs
    5. File->Save As->Support Asset->Save Modified Assets

This procedure will zero the default value in the ill-behaving morph/morphs, and while saving DS also shows you a list of the morphs it is changing.

Thanks for all of this. I was not taking these additional steps but have now made a point to.

• Catherine3678ab said:

Where does the subd come into the equation? Export out was base resolution, import in is to base resolution. There is no subD yet.

Is there any chance that the model was moved away from the default position in the modeler?

Also, "reverse deformations" in Morpher Loader. G3 and 8 tend to have some other morphs [navel and mouth] dialed in with them which of course nobody wants doubling up.

Thanks again, @Catherine3678ab I think you've hit upon my issue.

First, subd does not come into it during the actual morph process; but rather when I crank the subd back up. If I actually export the 100% morphed model at base res as OBJ and compare it to the base res OBJ I generated the morph from, they actually match perfectly. It's only when I turn on subd that they look different.

But what you said about "reverse deformations" rings a bell. Remembering back to that last time I made a morph, I thought I remembered such a concept but I cannot find the option to select it. I thought it was odd that if I applied the morph to my character, it becomes a monstrosity, but if I applied it to a basic G8 or G8.1, it looks as expected, save for the subd issue. Googling, I found someone having the exact same issue with the teeth becoming pegs and the lips parting, and Richard told them about the "Reverse Deformations" option.

But I cannot find the "reverse deformations" option in Morph Loader Pro. Have I done something wrong prior that causes the option not to be available?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,396

it shows up after you load your morph as an advanced option

Seems weird that base mesh would look the same but SubD not, but i dont really know how anything works

Capture.JPG
    678 x 419 - 44K
  • Thanks @lilweep... trying it again now.

• That was it guys, thank you all of you... my 8.1 Heroine now matches my 8 Heroine exactly. The subtle changes to the face were driving me absolutely crazy.