Marvelous Design 8 vertex count between import/export

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Trying to make a morph in marvelous designer (wrinkles in leggings).  I exported the leggings at base resolution and imported OBJ as garment to Marvelous Designer.  If I do nothing but export that mesh back again, the vertex count is different (the exported file is larger), so I cannot use it as a morph.  Has anyone had this issue before?

Post edited by Robinson on

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2021

Is your model made up of quads or triangles?

If MD is triangulating your mesh on import, the face count would increase, and all faces would turn to triangles.  But the vertex shouldn't change, unless it's doing something strange to the topology.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Either you imported an incomplete mesh or you're exporting more than the imported obj garment. Import the morph from MD as an obj in Daz to check the latter. For the former try loading the base model back as a morph in Daz to check if they match. 

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Thanks guys.  I already tried all the obvious stuff and tried all the different options in the import/export dialog (import as garment).  Still no joy here.

• Ditto, been banging my head with this problem, the only way around I have found is to export the finished garment, import into another editor, I use 3DS Max, export base again from there, and then adjust to produce morphs. Works fine but seems a lot of fiddling, particularly ad MD is not cheap.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited July 2021

well, just because you export from Daz at base resolution doesnt mean you aren't accidentally including things that are not part of the base mesh, like rigid follow nodes etc.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited August 2022

Old thread but just in case :

I've been using Marvelous Designer for many years. And used a lot its great soft body simulation engine (best ever made to put it simple) to simulate imported OBJ.

There is still no way around the basic problem : Marvelous Designer triangulates the object imported as garment on import. I and other people have been writing about that issue on the precedent Marvelous Designer forum and on the new one. A few bumps on the issue but never enough for Marvelous to be interested in coding the import any differently.

They focus a lot on simulation garments made in MD. But they don't care much about imported OBJ, except if we use them to trace the garment from UVs.

So sadly... it's a dead end.

BUT, the way I always do it, if it's only for still images in DAZ. To simulate sofas, pillows, clothes, anything really :

- DAZ : Export the Genesis as obj, frame 0 default A pose.

- DAZ : Export the Genesis as mdd, Modo, scale 100%. This will create a point cloud animation from frame 0 to the last frame (your final pose)

- DAZ : Export all clothes (one by one and you get to play with multiple material/physics properties for each cloth in MD, or all together and you get 1 material/physics for all).

- MD : Import Genesis as Avatar. Then Import the .mdd to get the animation from A pose to Final Pose.

- MD : Import the cloth(es) as garment.

- MD : Play the animation which will record the garments movements from frame 0 to the last one of your pose (N.B : you can play with clothes, push and pull them even when this simulation is running, that's pretty impressive...). Then from the last frame of the animation, you can now play with the cloth, move the avatar to print a nice shape on a bed, a sofa, etc. Just create the shapes you want.

- MD : When done, export the clothes, bed sheets, sofas, etc. simulated as obj. One by one.

- DAZ : Import everything back. Those objects simulated are now triangulated, vertex numbers changed, it's not a morphable version of their originals anymore. BUT, there shapes look great. You can simply now copy/paste original surfaces onto the new imported versions.

At render, it'll look perfect, with nicely simulated folds, etc. It's not the originals objects but you're the only one who knows it ;)

I hope MD will someday address this issue. But I've been waiting for so many years that I stopped hoping, and instead moved a big part of my workflows to Blender. And now I do more or less the same with Blender. Not as simple. There's very little control compared to MD where you can play live wil clothes. But at least Blender respects topology.

Post edited by hansolocambo on