Rebuilding Daz content library

I've had Daz 3D since the days of Genesis 1 and over the years seem to have built up a massive library that is over 1.3TB in size. Load times for figures is very slow now and this is despite installing a brand new hard disk and copying onto that. I did try using Daz install manager to uninstall everything below Genesis 8 but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Anything purchased from Daz 3D has downloaded into a content manager directory whilst I've downloaded non Daz content to another folder (I still install in the Daz library though)

I was thinking of recreating the Daz 3D library but Genesis 8 upwards. Given the above, is there an easy way to do this that doesn't involve re-downloading everything from the Daz servers GIVEN THAT I already have stuff downloaded somewhere?

The old library - can I put that somewhere else and re-add it temporarily if I wish to access a G3 resource and detach it when done?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid or its been asked before but I'm struggling to find information on this topic. Most discussions I've seen always have the solution of redownloading and despite my fast connection, I'd hate to think how long it would take or whether it would trigger any alarm bells with my internet provider.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

You can define more than one Library Set and switch between them as desired. Look in the Content Directory Manager. You create a new Content Set, and add the libraries you want. Later, you just select the Set you want to use. You could make a separate library for each generation, or split them up any way you want. Note that you can only install a product once, so plan ahead how they will be spread out.

The slowdown loading characters has little to do with the speed of your hard disk or computing power if you have a half-decent system. The compounding of all the morphs on a particular base figure is what takes time. Removing pre-Genesis 8 won't help one bit for loading Genesis 8 figures, unfortunately, as you have noticed. Some users have resorted to uninstalling unnecessary or unused character products to speed things up, or installing them to a separate library and switching the Library Set to include them when wanted.

There is no reason to remove anything, and even if you uninstall, having the original zips will allow you to re-install any time you want (if you have the disk space to keep everything).