anyone know when the new Poser release will be?

PippenPippen Posts: 265
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Poser is 50% off but I don't want to upgrade if a new version is due out shortly.

thanks

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited September 2014

Well, the Poser Pro versions are 2010, 2012, 2014, so I would assume the next version will be 2016, and I think probably not before end of 2015.

As far as the regular Poser versions 8, 9 and 10, I don't know whether they would bring out version 11 at the same time as PP 2016, or before. I'm no expert on SM's marketing practices, as I'm just getting back to Poser after years of not using it, and only with Poser 9. Since I don't upgrade my software immediately when a new version comes out, I picked up the least expensive version I could use for my purposes.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I'd actually go with some time 2015. Poser 10 and Pro 2014 were released May of last year.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

They did just put out game dev though so they might wait longer. /shrug

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Good point. I wonder if they'll be a PP2016 GD version too or if they'll just start making GD the standard PP version.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,562
    edited December 1969

Despite the name, the time between releases has been closer to 18 months so sometime this year is very likely unless they've changed the development cycle.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,589
    edited September 2014

Being as they just came out with the Dev I'd say it would be much longer than normal

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Mark C HollowayMark C Holloway Posts: 141
    edited November 2015

It will be released November 17, 2015   winkcheekyyescoolsmiley

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited November 2015

Yep, just received email announcing the release date is November 17, 2015.  And just in case you're wondering what new stuff it comes with:

Poser 11.jpg
    851 x 455 - 76K
    Post edited by ThatGuy on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,657

Like the cycles renderer, but unless they drastically change the UI, I have become so used to DS that I doubt I can go back to poser because it just feels more clumsy to me now, especially the content library. I also doubt GF3 will work natively, so that makes it more limited. Pauline is butt ugly IMO, LOL.

Looking forward to the reviews with an open mind though..

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,330

I think to say Pauline is butt ugly is perhaps a bit harsh, but yes, IMHO she is not the prettiest girl out of the box. I guess we will see what characters based on her will look like. She looks slightly stylized to me, but I believe she is intended to be a normal human character. We have not even see what the male counterpart (Paul) looks like yet. I am still on Poser 2012, and I rarely use that, so I am not sure I will upgrade anyway, but I am still interested to see what is in the new release.

• I think something that can use the blender render engine without having to use blender is good, no disrespect to blender blender peopleblush

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Like the cycles renderer, but unless they drastically change the UI, I have become so used to DS that I doubt I can go back to poser because it just feels more clumsy to me now, especially the content library. I also doubt GF3 will work natively, so that makes it more limited. Pauline is butt ugly IMO, LOL.

Butt-ugly is good - seeing as all the G3 here are supermodelish or sylised - with the exception of Bethany; one could argue that Bethany is supermodel ish for the voluptuous genre.

Ugly is good; poor morphing, bending and rigging is bad; will see if it is just another take on V4 or something genuinely new.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2015
    Havos said:

I think to say Pauline is butt ugly is perhaps a bit harsh, but yes, IMHO she is not the prettiest girl out of the box. I guess we will see what characters based on her will look like. She looks slightly stylized to me, but I believe she is intended to be a normal human character. We have not even see what the male counterpart (Paul) looks like yet. I am still on Poser 2012, and I rarely use that, so I am not sure I will upgrade anyway, but I am still interested to see what is in the new release.

The big problem is going to be that a lot of the facial features look rather undefined (eyelids and ears particularly) There are a lot of character vendors who dial spin (and my guess is there isn't a dial for "make ears look human") even for vendors who do create full custom face morphs, its not going to be fun to have to completely create all those fiddly details. Unless 2 days after poser comes out someone comes along with an inexpensive overhaul to incorporate those details, I think she's going to struggle.

Tldr. Even ugly people have eyelids

Post edited by j cade on
    nicstt said:

Butt-ugly is good - seeing as all the G3 here are supermodelish or sylised - with the exception of Bethany; one could argue that Bethany is supermodel ish for the voluptuous genre.

Ugly is good; poor morphing, bending and rigging is bad; will see if it is just another take on V4 or something genuinely new.

It is much more difficult to morph an ugly face into a pretty one than vice versa, which is why it is a better idea to have a reasonably pretty face as a base. Using the head morphs of G3 it is fairly easy to spin some dials and make a fairly unattractive face, if that is what you are looking for.

j cade said:
    Havos said:

The big problem is going to be that a lot of the facial features look rather undefined (eyelids and ears particularly) There are a lot of character vendors who dial spin (and my guess is there isn't a dial for "make ears look human") even for vendors who do create full custom face morphs, its not going to be fun to have to completely create all those fiddly details. Unless 2 days after poser comes out someone comes along with an inexpensive overhaul to incorporate those details, I think she's going to struggle.

Tldr. Even ugly people have eyelids

You are right, and it was the lack of definition that made her look a bit stylized to me.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850

SuperFly is Cycles, right?

nDelphi said:

yes, but Poser does some conversion of the shaders so that Poser materials are correctly interpreted by Cycles

• Havos said:
    nicstt said:

It is much more difficult to morph an ugly face into a pretty one than vice versa, which is why it is a better idea to have a reasonably pretty face as a base. Using the head morphs of G3 it is fairly easy to spin some dials and make a fairly unattractive face, if that is what you are looking for.

Making G3 unattractive is easy, she is unattractive out of the box ;)

Pauline is meant to be a blank slate, not a supermodel.

edited November 2015
    Havos said:
    nDelphi said:

yes, but Poser does some conversion of the shaders so that Poser materials are correctly interpreted by Cycles

Wait, do Poser users have the option of editing the Cycles shader materials, like we can with Iray? Your reply to me makes it seem like they don't. I ask because I haven't read anything on how Cycles for Poser will work.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Havos said:
    nicstt said:

Making G3 unattractive is easy, she is unattractive out of the box ;)

IMO she's less blank slate and more not fully carved statue ;), Not saying that its going to be impossible to get her to look good, just that there's a lot of chipping away to be done before she's finished.

Sorry its just... her ears, they are so bad looking

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,049
    edited November 2015
    Havos said:
    nicstt said:

Her bends look like a blank slate as well. She still suffers from that typical Poser rubber bends at the joints. There is a difference in a blank slate appearance wise, compared to a blank slate feature wise. Even at default state G3 bends really well. Pauline, based on what I have seen, not so good. Maybe they fix her maybe they don't, time will tell. But as she stands now, those rigging issues will filter down to every character made for her, unless each vendor creates their own set of fixes if there is no standard, or unless SM releases a hotfix. My thing is these issues should have been sorted out already. She might be SM's best figure to date, but in my opinion, still falls short compared to G2 and G3. But let's see what they can do with her.

attachment.jpg
    752 x 821 - 69K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
    nDelphi said:
    Havos said:
    nDelphi said:

Wait, do Poser users have the option of editing the Cycles shader materials, like we can with Iray? Your reply to me makes it seem like they don't. I ask because I haven't read anything on how Cycles for Poser will work.

I have not used Poser 11, so I can not say, but I suspect that it will be possible to edit the materials even after conversion. I only know what I have read, but I remember seeing somewhere that you can also set up nodes that are similar to native Cycle's material nodes in order to get the best out of the renderer.

Zev0 said:

... But as she stands now, those rigging issues will filter down to every character made for her, unless each vendor creates their own set of fixes if there is no standard, or unless SM releases a hotfix. My thing is these issues should have been sorted out already. She might be SM's best figure to date, but in my opinion, still falls short compared to G2 and G3. But let's see what they can do with her.

This issue never goes away it would seem. And it baffles me. When I see what a single individual can do, and I am talking about Project E, it baffles me that these bigger companies can't come out with a figure as great as Project E looks when it comes to bends, ie, elbows and shoulder/arm pits. That figure looks great.

nDelphi said:

This issue never goes away it would seem. And it baffles me. When I see what a single individual can do, and I am talking about Project E, it baffles me that these bigger companies can't come out with a figure as great as Project E looks when it comes to bends, ie, elbows and shoulder/arm pits. That figure looks great.

WOW!  She look incredible!  I might actualy open Poser get my hands on her.  Er..  that sounded wrong.  LOL

edited November 2015
    Fisty said:
    nDelphi said:

WOW!  She look incredible!  I might actualy open Poser get my hands on her.  Er..  that sounded wrong.  LOL

Which figure? Zev0 posted an image of SM's Pauline. I was talking about Erogenesis' Project E figure. I believe that the plan is to make Project E compatible with DAZ Studio and Poser.

This is the paragraph that mentions DAZ Studio:

Right now Project E is Poser exclusive, but there might be hope for DS. Because DS has decided to go down a different route than Poser, the DS is not 100% compatible with Poser figures anymore. However, Poser WM does seem to work in DS, as well as the associated JCMs and morphs, which is good, but DS doesn't quite understand how Poser extends its WM to bodyparts that lie further down the skeletal hierarchy. So we'll have to do some trickery to get it to work in DS somewhere down the line.

Post edited by nDelphi on

Project E, I have little to no interest in SM figures.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    nDelphi said:

This is the paragraph that mentions DAZ Studio:

Right now Project E is Poser exclusive, but there might be hope for DS. Because DS has decided to go down a different route than Poser, the DS is not 100% compatible with Poser figures anymore. However, Poser WM does seem to work in DS, as well as the associated JCMs and morphs, which is good, but DS doesn't quite understand how Poser extends its WM to bodyparts that lie further down the skeletal hierarchy. So we'll have to do some trickery to get it to work in DS somewhere down the line.

The paragraph about poser wm working in DS is totally erroneous and I spoke to him how DS weightmapping actually works. It needs to be a total redo, but should be easier as you don't have to group the figure in addition to doing the weightmapping.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    Havos said:

I have not used Poser 11, so I can not say, but I suspect that it will be possible to edit the materials even after conversion. I only know what I have read, but I remember seeing somewhere that you can also set up nodes that are similar to native Cycle's material nodes in order to get the best out of the renderer.

Ambassadors are showing screenshots of the material room very similar to the usual Cycles node tree in Blender.

• Is this the new Superfly they are talking about in Poser?

sf.jpg
    366 x 500 - 29K