Massive CPU load on a particular scene, how to identify the hog?

kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141

I just dug out an older scene I had in preparation down the storyboard. I don't recall it being any probelm when working on it last, but now on 4.15 CPU load immediately hitts the ceiling. it is just that particular scene, while other, similar complex scenes behave well. I tried evrythign, sacving out as a subset with and without environment, Hiding and even deleting one by one in varying order but it literally only recovers when I delete the last item.
Log doesn't give me any hints but I am pretty sure, there must be something with that particular scene and it goes back through all the iterations saved on that scene (I always save out a new scene when making adjustmens I consider major)

As i build y scenes as exactly that, they contain a lot (!) of puppeteering for all characters in it, so rebuilding from scratch would be a major pain. However, working on it in the current shape is no minor either. Are there any tools or commands known to identify what is screwing up the scene.

O, ja, forgot, it really doesn't matter which preview mode I'm using...

Post edited by kgrosser on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Do you mean high CPU usage, or something else?

High CPU usage....
    Most all render engines thread very well, so most if not all of them will use everything they have access at 100% unless told not to.
    You can use the scheduling settings on the Advanced tab of "Render Settings" to limit how many CPU cores/threads it has access to.

OR you can open the task manager and on the details tab you can right click Daz Studio, select "Affinity" and uncheck a core or two so Studio can't use them.

setting it in Studio means you won't have to do this every time you start Studio.Using the task manager technique means you'll have to repeat it every time.

Yes, your renders will be slightly slower on CPU, but you'll be able to use your system for other things.

Could also be you've got some very high subd settings in that scene, may need to the log so it's easier to see whats going on.

• onixonix Posts: 282

As I noticed scenes start using CPU  a lot because of smoothing/collision modifier

it seems to be some kind of a bug in daz when the smoothing modifier gets in a loop. Not sure why

so to deal with this issue you should disable all smoothing modifiers in the scene  to do that select all items then do 

Under parameters, tab choose "All" in the filter text type "smoothing"

and turn them all off. that should do the trick

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141
    edited January 2021

IceCrMn said:

Most all render engines thread very well, so most if not all of them will use everything they have access at 100% unless told not to.

That's perfectly accepted and wht the machines piurpose is, but the scene sits well in my pooled VRAM and no other scene creates load over 30% when working in... so .... i went ahed and tried

onix said:

Under parameters, tab choose "All" in the filter text type "smoothing"

and turn them all off. that should do the trick

Which it in fact did. Not only this, but I managed even to find out the culprit character!

Massive thanks @onix!

Post edited by kgrosser on