Black eye ?

Hello there,

I have something very strange. When I render one of my char, he gets on a side.

Any idea ?

Thank you !

Thanks !

eye.jpg
712 x 275 - 293K

Comments

• How far is the character from the origin?

I have seen this at some distance from the Origin (not yet sure what the minimum distance is, going properly to test it out in a couple of weeks). It is supposed to be an artefact of the iRay use of floating point numbers running out of precision causing two parts close together to intersect and turn black.

So, if the character is some way from the origin, it may be worth translating the whole scene so the character is at or near the origin.

Regards,

Richard.

• Hello,

he is like under the ground at some meter from 0.0.0.

You mean I need to move all my scene around the Origin instead of placing the Char at the good place in the scene ?

Thank you,

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

It's better to have what you render around the origin when rendering in Iray. When your item is far from origin there can be render artifacts where you have surfaces close to each other, like iris and cornea in the eyes. From what I understood that's due to Iray using a fixed number of digits to represent position: when an item is far from origin it needs more digits for the "main" part of the position so it has fewer digits availables for decimals, so there can be rounding errors causing surfaces which are close to be located at the same place when rendered.

IIRC there's a morph available somewhere to move the cornea a bit farther away, which can help reducing that kind of problem.