HELP!!!!

I've got a major problem and I have no idea how to fix it!

Some of my older assets have become unresponsive! DAZ3D can't make them work, and when I uninstall and reinstall them, the thumbnails are all gone and I get an error message when I try and use them!

I have no idea what to do! I've tried reimporting the metadata, uninstalling and reinstalling! Does anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?! I did transfer all of my assets from my computer to an external hard drive; could that have had any effect?

Screenshot 2021-01-30 030329.png
1920 x 1040 - 222K

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,383

I would first troubleshoot the problem by:

1. check and see if they load through the library rather than smart content
    2. doublecheck they still exist on your computer or mapped hard drive
    3. check and remap the locations of content folders (You can map a content folder in Studio in EDIT (or DAZStudio on the Mac) → Preferences → Content Library → Content Directory Manager → Content Sets.)
    4. make sure you have a current PostgreSQL and that it is running
    5. assuming everything does exist, reset the metadata using the COntent DB Management

• OrionPax09 said:

I've got a major problem and I have no idea how to fix it!

Some of my older assets have become unresponsive! DAZ3D can't make them work, and when I uninstall and reinstall them, the thumbnails are all gone and I get an error message when I try and use them!

I have no idea what to do! I've tried reimporting the metadata, uninstalling and reinstalling! Does anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?! I did transfer all of my assets from my computer to an external hard drive; could that have had any effect?

I have nothing to offer but empathy. I wish had some useful suggestions. I will just say that you're not alone in finding Daz baffling and frustrating at times. I've just come through a meltdown, have uninstalled Daz and won't be reinstalling and touching it again for a few days at least. I've had some stuff become weird and broken when I use the exact same processes that worked perfectly just recently.

• FezzikFezzik Posts: 5

You can also download them manually from Daz so that you have all the asset files.

Create a new directory and extract them to the new directory and then map them within Daz. 

Daz is confusing with where it puts all the asset file as there are multiple locations, userprofile>documents>daz 3d etc... public>documents>daz 3d\...  and now c:\daz 3d\applications\data\daz 3d\... is the newest location that popped up on my new build.  Its mind boggling how many different locations there are, not to mention the bits that are in the appdata folder.  But what is great is you can control where things go if you do it manually.  As long as you can download the original assets, you didn't lose anything, just put them in a different spot.  I have multiple locations setup for organization purposes. 

To map a new location, it's under Edit > Preferences > Content Tab > Click the Content Directory Manager.

Under Content Sets, highling the DAZ Studio Formats

Under the directory, click Add and then navigate to your new directory where you are extracted the contents of the manual download of the asset.

Once that is done, then you will be able to extract any manual downloads to that folder.  Understanding the folder structure isn't hard once you get into it.  All assests will follow the same structure once you get to the root folder.  (Data/Documentation/People/Presets/Runtime etc....)  To find the asset, go through COntent Manager and then navigate to your new folder you just setup and everythign should be there. 

Hope that helps.

• How do you install? That kind of issue looks like a problem with the files decrypting when installed through Connect, in which case unisntalling through DS and then installing through Install manager should help for now. If that is the root of the issue please report it to Daz as it may well affect others, and should be fixed.

• Richard Haseltine said:

How do you install? That kind of issue looks like a problem with the files decrypting when installed through Connect, in which case unisntalling through DS and then installing through Install manager should help for now. If that is the root of the issue please report it to Daz as it may well affect others, and should be fixed.

Here's the error message I got when trying to run the file.

2021-01-30 15:47:56.952 C:/Users/Anthony Lombardini/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/cloud/1_33733/environments/terradome 3/mortemvetus/southernlights/hdr skies/sl starfield 001.duf (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['

2021-01-30 15:47:56.995 Error reading file, see log for more details.

• OrionPax09 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

How do you install? That kind of issue looks like a problem with the files decrypting when installed through Connect, in which case unisntalling through DS and then installing through Install manager should help for now. If that is the root of the issue please report it to Daz as it may well affect others, and should be fixed.

2021-01-30 15:47:56.952 C:/Users/Anthony Lombardini/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/cloud/1_33733/environments/terradome 3/mortemvetus/southernlights/hdr skies/sl starfield 001.duf (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['

That confirms that the issue is a Connect (through Daz Studio) installation that has not completed correctly. Uninstall the product (right-click on the product thumbnail), then install through Install Manager for now - and please report this to Daz.

• Richard Haseltine said:

OrionPax09 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

That confirms that the issue is a Connect (through Daz Studio) installation that has not completed correctly. Uninstall the product (right-click on the product thumbnail), then install through Install Manager for now - and please report this to Daz.

That did it. It seems to be working just fine now.