Fog in 4.12 vs. in 4.15

It'd appear upgrading my workflow to 4.X is fraught with peril wink I've conquered most perils, so I'm now slowly churning out renders again, but this brought a big sigh. Here's what my foggy forest looked like in a render I made while using 4.12:

Here's what it looks like today, in 4.15:

The banding is, alas, really obvious. Anyone any idea what could be going on? And better yet; any idea how to restore it? I made no changes between the two, other than opening the .duf. The one thing I noticed is that I've got new 'objects'; "Tonemapper Options" and "Environment Options".

The scene is "Ancient Mystical Forest", with added fog from "Above The Fog" and "Iray Distance Mist".

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,294
    edited January 2021

It looks like a different HDRI got loaded somehow or maybe rotated... 

Post edited by RexRed on
  • Volumetric effects like this do seem to be an issue in Iray in 4.15, I know at least one PA with an affected product has flagged this up.

• HellwolveHellwolve Posts: 156

Could be, I guess. No idea how I'd fix that blush

In the mean time, I isolated the problem to a product I forgot to mention; Fog Camera. Been a while since I've installed it; guess I gotta try and update it, see if that helps smiley

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

The problem seems to be with cutouts within volumetric spaces. This is a technique that the creator of Ancient Mystical Forest apparently uses in several products. Others have reported issues with transparencies for leaves in Ultra Scenery. I consider this a fairly major issue, and I hope it can be resolved soon.

Tim

• HellwolveHellwolve Posts: 156

It's defenitly an issue with transparancy - in the same scene, I have bits I made fully transparant and those were behaving odd as well. I agree; I hope it gets resolved soon.