Easy way to Upgrade Existing Characters from Genesis 8 to Genesis 8.1?

Is there an easy upgrade existing Genesis 8 character to the new Genesis 8.1? Or do I need to rebuild the character using the Genesis 8.1 as a base?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Haven't tried yet as I haven't installed DS 4.15 yet, but saving your character as character preset and loading that to a G8.1 base should work.

Though, I can see an opportunity here for some PA to make a script that would go and change the references to G8 inside a saved character file and scene to point to G8.1 instead.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    edited January 2021

Save a character preset from the Genesis 8 version, then use that character preset on Genesis 8.1 to apply the morphs and materials.

Post edited by Leana on
  • onixonix Posts: 282

There is no need to upgrade anything 8 and 8.1 are the same thing with small changes except that 8.1 screws up 8.0 expressions because face bones were changed.

You will not get any benefit from upgrade because if you decide to release your 8.1 content you will just make it unusable on 8.0  if you release 8.0 it is fully compatible with 8.1

• Saving the character as a preset worked! Thank you!

• onix said:

There is no need to upgrade anything 8 and 8.1 are the same thing with small changes except that 8.1 screws up 8.0 expressions because face bones were changed.

You will not get any benefit from upgrade because if you decide to release your 8.1 content you will just make it unusable on 8.0  if you release 8.0 it is fully compatible with 8.1

Ya, thats my next problem. None of facial expression packs I own/made work on the Genesis 8.1 figure.

• I found working with a character preset transfers easily shape and materials of a genesis 8 character to a genesis 8.1 figure of same gender, thus creating the base for the desired genesis 8.1 character.

Otherwise hair and genitals were not transformed - and of course neither clothing and accessoirs. To transfer this items I save the genesis 8 character as scene subset. After creating the base for the desired genesis 8.1 character, I reload the scene subset and fit the missing items to the new genesis 8,1 character.