Genesis 8.1 changes compared to Genesis 8

As far as I can see from the advertising, the genesis 8.1 upgrades are concentrated on facial expressions and textures. I see that genesis 8.1 HD adds various skin details (though to be quite honest, to my eyes many of the changes just make her skin look old and wrinkly).

Have there been any changes to the way joints work?

If not, then can we expect a Genesis 8.2 sometime soon where the joint bending is made more realistic?

Oh and one comment to the Marketing Division about this part of your advertising:

"She's the same Victoria you know and love: a brilliant advocate for others that spends time volunteering for nonprofit organizations. Victoria has spent most of her life deaf, but it hasn't stopped her from studying to become a doctor, swimming like a pro, making friends, and establishing a unique fashion sense."

Be ashamed! What are you trying to do? Improve sales by making people feel sorry for a polygon mesh? Genesis 8.1 is deaf because she is a polygon mesh with no possibility for hearing! Genesis 8.1 is not a real person, in case you hadn't noticed!

That aside, it looks like 8.1 is a significant improvement over 8.0. However, I will wait until some of the compatability issues (like GoZ transfer to ZB) have been sorted out.

Comments

• Aside from expressions the joints are unchanged.

• doesn't work for me the installer either screwed up (even manual instal failed) missing a bunch of files

• Have a question maybe someone smarter then me could answer, can you use morphs from Facegen with Genesis 8.1? I put in a directory for morphs under 8.1 Female and they don't show up. Will I have to upgrade Facegen to use it?

• I cannot figure out why I can't get any of my G8 characters to work on the 8.1 figure. Daz characters Bluejaunte characters any of them. 

When I try to apply the characters to 8.1 there are no sliders in any of the tabs. Shaping, posing, general, etc. With the G8 base when you apply characters you can see the sliders for the characters. I'm not seeing these with the 8.1 base.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Philippi_Child said:

I cannot figure out why I can't get any of my G8 characters to work on the 8.1 figure. Daz characters Bluejaunte characters any of them. 

When I try to apply the characters to 8.1 there are no sliders in any of the tabs. Shaping, posing, general, etc. With the G8 base when you apply characters you can see the sliders for the characters. I'm not seeing these with the 8.1 base.

That's how it works if you are using an older version of DS.

• PerttiA 

Oh so I need to update DS 4.12 to the latest build? Maybe that's been the problem all along.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Philippi_Child said:

PerttiA 

Oh so I need to update DS 4.12 to the latest build? Maybe that's been the problem all along.

Yes, the older versions of DS don't have the code to read G8 morphs from their morph library, they can only find the morphs that are stored inside the G8.1 morph library.

• Okay I see thank you. I'd love to upgrade to 4.15 but I have read that there are many issues with that build.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Philippi_Child said:

Okay I see thank you. I'd love to upgrade to 4.15 but I have read that there are many issues with that build.

You can keep your current version of DS and just upgrade to the Beta 4.15  to try it out on you computer to see if you have any problems.  I was still using 4.10 version  and the beta 4.14, I knew the beta was working fine for me so I upgraded the regular build 4.10 t o4.15 and had no issues, it runs smoothly with no issues

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,547

So if I want to use G 8.1 I have to upgrade to 4.15? No thank you. I have read about too many problems even now with the latest upgrade.

• MartyrdogMartyrdog Posts: 16
    edited January 2021

So from what I have experienced so far with 8.1 is torso textures missing or not being added.. I will admit I aven't tried since the last time I attempted as I've been having unrelated problems with my pc (blue screen error kernel-power 41) which is random but equally frustrating lol. The texture issues weren't actually causing any issues until the recent update of Genesis Female 8.1..

EDIT:

Disregard the above lol, all works works fine now for.. what ever reason.. lets just say it was Gremlins lol

Post edited by Martyrdog on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Grafx Studio said:

Have a question maybe someone smarter then me could answer, can you use morphs from Facegen with Genesis 8.1? I put in a directory for morphs under 8.1 Female and they don't show up. Will I have to upgrade Facegen to use it?

Just use the G8 folder you've been using. All of your  Genesis 8 FaceGen morphs will work on Gen 8.1.

• I've just started using 8.1 and familiarising myself with the new expreession controls,. But there seems to be no way of opening the mouth. In the pose controls, I have a 'Mouth Closed' slider - which does not work as the mouth is closed bt default - but no 'Mouth Open' slider. what should I use?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

chrissy_w said:

I've just started using 8.1 and familiarising myself with the new expreession controls,. But there seems to be no way of opening the mouth. In the pose controls, I have a 'Mouth Closed' slider - which does not work as the mouth is closed bt default - but no 'Mouth Open' slider. what should I use?

Jaw open

• Got it!  I didn't expect it to be under 'cheek', rather than 'mouth'.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

WendyLuvsCatz said:

chrissy_w said:

I've just started using 8.1 and familiarising myself with the new expreession controls,. But there seems to be no way of opening the mouth. In the pose controls, I have a 'Mouth Closed' slider - which does not work as the mouth is closed bt default - but no 'Mouth Open' slider. what should I use?

Jaw open

What? Really? That's odd; why would they change the morph name from Mouth to Jaw? Even if the slider is located in a different place, changing the name is almost designed to cause people problems! Further, it seems inconsistent. Why didn't they also change "Mouth Closed" to "Jaw Closed"? Then the question also arises; what other familiar morph names have been changed? Lips Open to Labia Open? Upper Eyelid and Lower Eyelid to Palpebra Superior and Palpebra Inferior?

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,294
    edited January 2021

My favorite part of the 8.1 characters is the improved face skin textures. Correct me if I am wrong but the face geometry had to be made finer to accommodate higher resolution face textures.

So, I expect new Genesis 8.1 characters to come out with more and more realistic skin textures soon.

Michael 8 has great skin textures but Gen 8 characters have come out after him and eclipsed that quality quite a bit.

I expect all of my future scenes will be based upon the Genesis 8.1 and Michael/Victoria 8.1 characters (When Gen8.1 male and Michael 8.1 are released).

This is a huge new jump of realism for Daz figures. Thank you Daz for making this!

I am anticipating the new characters to go with 8.1 and I hope "all" new characters are based upon 8.1 specifications 

I have most of the Gen 8 skins I need... let's see a slew of new skins for 8.1! 

I am interested mostly in the new skin textures and as I have stated before, Gen 8 hand textures could use a resolution upgrade too. :) 

Post edited by RexRed on
  • RexRed said:

My favorite part of the 8.1 characters is the improved face skin textures. Correct me if I am wrong but the face geometry had to be made finer to accommodate higher resolution face textures.

Geometry resolution and texture resolution are not connected, other than in displacement for Iray

So, I expect new Genesis 8.1 characters to come out with more and more realistic skin textures soon.

Michael 8 has great skin textures but Gen 8 characters have come out after him and eclipsed that quality quite a bit.

I expect all of my future scenes will be based upon the Genesis 8.1 and Michael/Victoria 8.1 characters (When Gen8.1 male and Michael 8.1 are released).

This is a huge new jump of realism for Daz figures. Thank you Daz for making this!

I am anticipating the new characters to go with 8.1 and I hope "all" new characters are based upon 8.1 specifications 

I have most of the Gen 8 skins I need... let's see a slew of new skins for 8.1! 

I am interested mostly in the new skin textures and as I have stated before, Gen 8 hand textures could use a resolution upgrade too. :) 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,294
    edited January 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

RexRed said:

Geometry resolution and texture resolution are not connected, other than in displacement for Iray

The way I understand it is the UV map lays over the geometry and the texture lays over the UV map.

My understanding is the geometry has been made finer for Genesis 8.1 for better facial expression.

It is also my understanding that the UV map on the head of the Genesis 8.1 character has been made finer to accommodate higher resolution skin textures on the face and neck. 

So we should now be offered better skin textures and its associated layers along with more detailed face expressions.

Are the Genesis 8.1 skin textures actually 8k?

Post edited by RexRed on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

if you look the basic female actually reuses the limb maps from G8F from it's original folder 

so unless V8.1 is 8K no

• RexRed said:

Richard Haseltine said:

RexRed said:

The way I understand it is the UV map lays over the geometry and the texture lays over the UV map.

The UV map gives each vertex around a polygon coordinates (in the zero to one range) to define a patch on a texture (the values are multiplied by the size of the map) that will be applied to the polygon (strictly it's a little more complex as the polygon is broken down into triangles).

My understanding is the geometry has been made finer for Genesis 8.1 for better facial expression.

The base geometry is unchanged, though the default SubD level (which procedurally divides the mesh into additional polygons and adjust their positions to smooth the shape) is one step higher.

It is also my understanding that the UV map on the head of the Genesis 8.1 character has been made finer to accommodate higher resolution skin textures on the face and neck. 

No, the head/torso have been split and the UVs adjusted to alow more resolution on the ehad without having to bump up the resolution of the whole torso map - but that is a chnage in the way the mesh is divided up and positioned on the UV square, not a change in mesh resolution.

So we should now be offered better skin textures and its associated layers along with more detailed face expressions.

The intent is that there should not now be the marked chnage along the line around the face where it transitioned from face to body maps, and because the new division is below the neck it may soemthimes be possible to render entirely without the body map, saving some memory (not if the figure is bare-chested, of course). Not that texture artists are necessarily going to be pleased about having to work with the highly visible seam.

Are the Genesis 8.1 skin textures actually 8k?

• IsaacNewton said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

chrissy_w said:

Jaw open

What? Really? That's odd; why would they change the morph name from Mouth to Jaw? Even if the slider is located in a different place, changing the name is almost designed to cause people problems! Further, it seems inconsistent. Why didn't they also change "Mouth Closed" to "Jaw Closed"? Then the question also arises; what other familiar morph names have been changed? Lips Open to Labia Open? Upper Eyelid and Lower Eyelid to Palpebra Superior and Palpebra Inferior?

The names reflect the requirements of the FACS (Facial Action Coding System).

Richard Haseltine said:

IsaacNewton said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

chrissy_w said:

Jaw open

Is is not possible for a morph to have one name under the hood (so to speak), that DS uses and another name which is presented to the user in the UI?

• IsaacNewton said:

Richard Haseltine said:

IsaacNewton said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

chrissy_w said:

Jaw open

Is is not possible for a morph to have one name under the hood (so to speak), that DS uses and another name which is presented to the user in the UI?

Label and name can be (and usually are) different. I'm not sure how much that would help here.

Richard Haseltine said:

IsaacNewton said:

Richard Haseltine said:

IsaacNewton said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

chrissy_w said:

Jaw open

Label and name can be (and usually are) different. I'm not sure how much that would help here.

Couldn't the Name be Jaw Open and the Label be Mouth Open, so that the morph remains the same name to the user?