Looking to add a RTX 2060 to my computer that has a GTX1070ti

I'm looking to add another GPU to my PC. I have a GTX 1070ti that I use to render Iray in Daz Studio and I'm looking to add another card to get extra cuda cores. Can I buy a RTX 2060 to increase my rendering with my GTX 1070ti? 

Can I use both in the same program at the same time for rendering?

This is the card I'm looking to buy:
https://www.adorama.com/msig206vxs6c.html?sterm=2LWUly1pmxyLWyGwUx0Mo37xUkEU5E29IxKsXY0&utm_source=rflaid914539

Comments

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278
    edited January 2021

There should be no issue. I have a normal gtx1070 and a gtx 1080 ti in my machine and it renders just fine.

But be sure that your psu has enough power and connectors (and that's it's a 80plus certified psu and no cheap chinese crap).

wit a quality 600-650w psu you should be on the save side.

On the other hand I would advice to buy a gpu with more than 6gb of memory. If the scene is a little bigger your card with less memory (in this case the 2060) will drop out and your gtx 1070 will have to render the scene alone. 

I would buy a used 1070 with 8gb of memory the price should be the same (maybe it's even a little bit cheaper).

Post edited by ps2000 on
  • Oh, so the second gpu won't share it's memory with the other card? Just the Cuda cores? Also where do you buy a use GPU? When I look on Ebay the prices are almost the same as a new one. Unless it's really worn or useless.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

marksinister_0f3a44cacc said:

Oh, so the second gpu won't share it's memory with the other card? Just the Cuda cores? Also where do you buy a use GPU? When I look on Ebay the prices are almost the same as a new one. Unless it's really worn or useless.

If you want to increase VRAM by adding GPU:s, you need to have identical cards and use NVLINK to connect them to each other, otherwise the maximum VRAM is limited to what the card with more VRAM has installed.

edited January 2021

PerttiA said:

Oh, so the second gpu won't share it's memory with the other card? Just the Cuda cores? Also where do you buy a use GPU? When I look on Ebay the prices are almost the same as a new one. Unless it's really worn or useless.

If you want to increase VRAM by adding GPU:s, you need to have identical cards and use NVLINK to connect them to each other, otherwise the maximum VRAM is limited to what the card with more VRAM has installed.

It would be great if the gpu's could share the memory. But unfortunately that's not the case. 

NVLINK doesn't work with consumer cards like the rtx 2060. Even consumer gpu's like the rtx 2070 which officially support nv-link don't include memory sharing as a functionality.  And even with pro cards (quadro,tesla) memory sharing doesn't work with daz-studio albeit nvlink supports it for these gpus. 

I would look on ebay reddit small ads for used cards. But it depends on where you live. In my country I can buy a used 1080 ti for around 400,-$ at the moment.

Post edited by ps2000 on

ps2000 said:

PerttiA said:

It would be great if the gpu's could share the memory. But unfortunately that's not the case. 

NVLINK doesn't work with consumer cards like the rtx 2060. Even consumer gpu's like the rtx 2070 which officially support nv-link don't include memory sharing as a functionality.  And even with pro cards (quadro,tesla) memory sharing doesn't work with daz-studio albeit nvlink supports it for these gpus. 

I would look on ebay reddit small ads for used cards. But it depends on where you live. In my country I can buy a used 1080 ti for around 400,-$ at the moment.

RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 were never even promoted with NVLINK support, the RTX 2070 Super was the lowest spec/priced card with it  

Yeah, I mixed that one up. I thought at least the 2070 had nvlink support.

But the point is, that nvlink doesn't allow memory sharing in daz studio even mith professional cards whose nvlink specifiacations even support memory sharing contrary to consumer cards with official nvlink support which miss that functionality. At least until now daz-studio doesn''t support memory sharing even for professional cards.

It's  really a shame. 

ps2000 said:

But the point is, that nvlink doesn't allow memory sharing in daz studio even mith professional cards whose nvlink specifiacations even support memory sharing contrary to consumer cards with official nvlink support which miss that functionality. At least until now daz-studio doesn''t support memory sharing even for professional cards.

It's  really a shame. 

Maybe your setup had something wrong, NVLINK does work, here's just one post about it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5701921/#Comment_5701921

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 249

First: at the moment there is a shortage of memory chips. As result of that it is nearly impossible to buy a graphic card. If you find one the prices are much over the suggested retail prices. Also the price for used cards did climb to much.

Second: I have two systems, one with a GTX 1070Ti and one with a RTX 2060. Render Times with "my Test Scene": 1070 = 6:53 Minutes, 2060 = 3:06 Minutes

Third: I think it is worth to wait for the new RTX 3060 with 12 GB RAM and 3.584 Cuda Cores. Suggested Retail Price 320 Euro (in Germany). But because of the RAM shortage first cards are announced from end of february till summer at normal prices.

PerttiA said:

ps2000 said:

It's  really a shame. 

Maybe your setup had something wrong, NVLINK does work, here's just one post about it.

Well, he writes that memory sharing only works for textures. All other things got mirrored on both cards. So I wouldn't define that as working memory sharing.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

ps2000 said:

PerttiA said:

ps2000 said:

It's  really a shame. 

Well, he writes that memory sharing only works for textures. All other things got mirrored on both cards. So I wouldn't define that as working memory sharing.

Textures are what takes the most VRAM, though, so while it's not complete memory sharing it's still a huge improvement over no sharing at all.

• I guess I'll look into getting a RTX 3060...

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

i didnt tested that much, but multi gpu in some cases dont work (mine) and also with same model of gpu

i have also a 1070 which i use for monitor and other application, (sometimes i play fps and render at the same time) and a 2060 iray dedicated no way to make it work togheter, 1500 iteration and crash, no NVlink

sent a ticket but nothing, i dont think its an iray or daz issue, just something about system/hardware, anyway in the most cases it works

• Well, I'm not trying to use the second video card for any gaming. I just really want the extra cores for when I use Aux Viewport Iray previewing and faster render times on my 3d applications.

I just want to know in my Andvanced settings in Daz render setting I'll have the option to pick the second card for cuda. You know extra render power.

Also is there any way to pre-order that 3060 rtx 12GB? Because I know it's going to sell out on day one release.

• DireWorksDireWorks Posts: 133
    edited January 2021

I just want to know in my Andvanced settings in Daz render setting I'll have the option to pick the second card for cuda. You know extra render power.

yes you can, you will see both card, and you can select both or a single gpu

probably already mentioned in the thread but, you will use both cards cuda's, more speed and VRAM of 1 card

Post edited by DireWorks on
  • DireWorks said:

yes you can, you will see both card, and you can select both or a single gpu

probably already mentioned in the thread but, you will use both cards cuda's, more speed and VRAM of 1 card

Thanks for the info. I'll just wait till the end of Feb when the 3060 comes out and add that then. 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,294
    edited January 2021

If you contact the seller on Ebay and offer them half of the price they are asking they may bite. I would not pay retail for a used card.

I personally would go for a 1080ti, it has 11gb of video ram.

You can get one for about 300-500 bucks on Ebay.

I would not spend more than $500 for a 1080ti

Amazon sometimes has 1080ti's refurbished at $500

You have to check Amazon every day for those sales.

Refurbished is better than used.

1080ti's have a decent amount of CUDA cores.

It would hold you over until the RTX 3000 series cards are more available.

Then you could use the 1080ti's CUDA cores to assist a RTX 3000 series card in the future.

Post edited by RexRed on