Ragdoll Physics

Hi all

Simple question; not simple answer, I'd imagine. 

Is it possible to simulate ragdoll physics in DAZ animation? Like take a rigged character like the DAZ Dog or a Genesis 8 figure and just make them go limp? 

Thanks! 

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821
    No.
  • Actually, I think there is a chance you could.

You would have to apply an initial pose then use the Spring Dynamics script from the store (https://www.daz3d.com/spring-dynamics-for-daz-studio) and apply a low stiffness and damping such that you don't get vibration. It would be trial & error to get it right, but I think it may be possible.

Regards,

Richard

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,547

Couldn't dforce work for this. Apply to the appropriate parts and run the sim, just be careful if you save so you don't overwrite the original.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Couldn't dforce work for this. Apply to the appropriate parts and run the sim, just be careful if you save so you don't overwrite the original.

Despite the name a ragdoll simulation keeps most parts rigid and just lets the joints flop around - really its more like a marionette without strings.

Richard is correct.

A ragdoll simlulation is effectively a rigid body simulation 
    with constraints at the limb joints.

it is typically acheived via invisible proxies that are auto
    created by the Physics engine on each major bodypart

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited January 2021

I can do ragdoll with my Poser7 physics plugin cheeky

probably out of luck buying that now or Poser 7

I recently reinstalled it on my Win7 PC and converted the saved M4 "poses" for genesis 8 too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2021

I still run the old Endporphin  
    software on two of my Old PC's
    the exported BVH are full compatible with Millenium 3

And after that, importing into 3DX is a breeze

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • wolf359 said:

I still run the old Endporphin  
    software on two of my Old PC's
    the exported BVH are full compatible with Millenium 3

And after that, importing into 3DX is a breeze

Ha ha, nice @wolf359

• onixonix Posts: 282

OdinVonD said:

Hi all

Simple question; not simple answer, I'd imagine. 

Is it possible to simulate ragdoll physics in DAZ animation? Like take a rigged character like the DAZ Dog or a Genesis 8 figure and just make them go limp? 

Thanks! 

This could be done with a script but one big problem is collision detection the result of the primitive simulation will be just all limbs getting straight and pointing right down.

As I understand "spring dynamic" script will have the same problem 

simulating things in a way that legs do not go through the body will be much harder

edited January 2021

video click to play

yet the Poser7 python managed to detetect collision back in the day in 2011

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • It might be possible with bounding boxes (or cylinders) - I've a feeling thast the Poser Rag Doll tool was figure-specific (and obviosuly has trouble fully resolving).

Richard Haseltine said:

It might be possible with bounding boxes (or cylinders) - I've a feeling thast the Poser Rag Doll tool was figure-specific (and obviosuly has trouble fully resolving).

that scene used Simon but I have used M4 and it saves as a pz2 animation

as an aside:That is actually a Carrara render of a Poser scene too, it loaded in DAZ studio too 

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Bounding boxes might indeed be the way to go. However, wolf359's simple answer of "No" is correct at the moment. Ragdoll physics, and physics in general has been around a long time in 3d and has been a requested feature in DAZ Studio for a long time. Maybe DAZ Studio 5.0 will introduce it?

The old poser physics plugin was actually a powerful unified rigid body/ragdoll simulator based on the freely available ODE engine.

I used it in paid commercial animation work using poser 6.

12 year old video BTW

wolf359 said:

12 year old video BTW

pity it was not supported after 7 

I did try it in subsequent Poser releases

but yes it still works up to 7 and 7 is also before the Adobe air thing and doesn't phone home hence my reinstalling it on my other rig yes